Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #21
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 78-7006 is this a special transmission case?

Remember that the cast number on the case is NOT the part number as sold over the counter. The PN over the counter was 7005 for the regular V8 case and the other numbers as posted for other versions...
On the V8 one, the reason for the number change from 7006 is that you could not buy a truly bare 78-7006...it came only with the clutch shaft bushings installed, so in Fordspeak it was an ASSEMBLY needing a new number, not a single part.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #22
Barn Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard (EV8G) View Post
What I said, per the previous posts, is that it is a transmission that was originally attached to a 4cyl tractor motor as used in some 40-41? pickups.
There are numbers stamped in the usual location on the case, but I have not cleaned it off so I can read them... (I once bought a 39 Panel that had a transmission with similar gears, but not sure it was THE original transmisson,
but I am sure it was originally a V8.) The gears in the latest "find" are as CW stated, 14-30. The top is an 81A double detent with a 3" 91A 2nd-high fork.
The gears appear to be in nice condition, but I don't know what I would use them in???
I have messed with this odd-ball gear set also but if you double check the larger gear on the cluster, I think you will find it is 29 tooth, not 30. The cluster is IDed "1Y" and the 29 tooth cluster gear is slightly larger diameter than the more common, 29 tooth on the 15/29 1941-48 gear set. The 14/29 trans were configured in both open and closed driveshaft versions so may have been used in 42 pickups also. The main shaft and low gear were unique pieces in the open drive version. I was thinking this 14/29 gear set might work OK with some 3.54 rear gears in a heavier car.

Also, it is an another flathead myth that Ford gear sets (main drive and large cluster gear) have to add up to "44". It is the meshing diameters and gear shapes that have to match.
Barn Junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #23
Richard (EV8G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn Junk View Post
I have messed with this odd-ball gear set also but if you double check the larger gear on the cluster, I think you will find it is 29 tooth, not 30. The cluster is IDed "1Y" and the 29 tooth cluster gear is slightly larger diameter than the more common, 29 tooth on the 15/29 1941-48 gear set. The 14/29 trans were configured in both open and closed driveshaft versions so may have been used in 42 pickups also. The main shaft and low gear were unique pieces in the open drive version. I was thinking this 14/29 gear set might work OK with some 3.54 rear gears in a heavier car.

Also, it is an another flathead myth that Ford gear sets (main drive and large cluster gear) have to add up to "44". It is the meshing diameters and gear shapes that have to match.
I have not disassembled the transmission, so I made an assumption (yes, I know...) using the "44" rule; if this one IS 29T, it would be the only exception = 43 ? It would be interesting to use with a 3.25 rear, but aside from the whine in low/reverse, there would be a heck of a gap between 2nd and high... There isn't much in this transmission that could be used in a typical one, but the shift top is
worth more than the rest of it no doubt... Thanks for the info...
Old 08-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #24
aaron griffey

Send a message via Yahoo to aaron griffey

That sure looks like a model B trans. Same as a V8 but different starter location. The man said it has a strange gearset. Probably is from a 4 cylinder '41 or '42. The model B and the model 40 with B engine had the same gears as the V8.

'32 4 cylinder is a model B
'33 and '34 with 4 cylinder were model 40 with B engine. Often referred to as the "C" model.
aaron griffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:54 AM   #25
Richard (EV8G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron griffey View Post
That sure looks like a model B trans. Same as a V8 but different starter location. The man said it has a strange gearset. Probably is from a 4 cylinder '41 or '42. The model B and the model 40 with B engine had the same gears as the V8.

'32 4 cylinder is a model B
'33 and '34 with 4 cylinder were model 40 with B engine. Often referred to as the "C" model.
Nope, nothing like a Model B (32-34) transmission. Has a V8 case, but with the cutout to clear the starter; will bolt to a V8 but not a B.
Actually from a 40-41? Commercial with 4cyl tractor motor... And
it IS strange...
Old 08-11-2010, 10:59 PM   #26
Benson

Thanks JV38 for "9C" reference and everyone for the info that you supplied!

I cleaned the case and tumbled with "steel shot" and it does in fact have a
9C <-> 1057XX number on the case.

When I first looked at it quickly I read it as 90XXX.

Last edited by Benson; 08-12-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:34 PM   #27
Barn Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard (EV8G) View Post
I have not disassembled the transmission, so I made an assumption (yes, I know...) using the "44" rule; if this one IS 29T, it would be the only exception = 43 ? It would be interesting to use with a 3.25 rear, but aside from the whine in low/reverse, there would be a heck of a gap between 2nd and high... There isn't much in this transmission that could be used in a typical one, but the shift top is
worth more than the rest of it no doubt... Thanks for the info...
One more exception and my favorite setup, the 1951-52 Ford pickup light duty open drive. It has a 16/27 gear set with stronger (deeper) designed gear teeth. Also wider 1st and 2nd gears can be added, from later pass trans for even more strength, with some 1-2 fork mods. The ratios are good also being a little closer ratio than the older 16/28. I also found two main shafts that use the closed drive output spline like the early Fords so everything fits in any early car with the correct trans mount. I think these main shafts were used in some industrial applications. Ford was kind of a master at using what existed and then modifying it to suit his current needs.
Barn Junk is offline   Reply With Quote