Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2016, 01:44 AM   #1
Ian Curtis

Default Reinstalling Brake Actuating Arm

Hi all,

As part of my redoing my brakes, I pulled out both brake actuating arms to check for free play, etc. They were both fine. They were removed using the "Brute Force method" of yanking them out instead of removing the spindle locking pin & rotating the king pin cup as is suggested in Les Andrews book. I don't remember either side being particularly easy, but they both came out. Now after a few weeks I've got my brakes back & have been attempting to reinstall the brake actuating arms. The right side just slid right on in, but the left side isn't even close (as you can see in the pictures). I've tried removing the spindle locking pin, but no amount of force I've been able to apply has made any difference.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is there a way I can jack the car that will make it fit a little bit better? Is there some other secret I'm missing? If there's no secret to brute forcing, is there a secret to dislodging the spindle locking pin?

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0297.JPG (74.6 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0298.JPG (135.4 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0299.JPG (104.1 KB, 209 views)
Ian Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:17 AM   #2
RonC

Default Re: Reinstalling Brake Actuating Arm

Remove the actuating rods inside the spindles. You may have also damaged them or the actuator lever cups using force? Brattons has the correct length rods if you need to replace them. When you find yourself thinking you should be using brute force stop and ask first it will save you in the long run
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:38 AM   #3
reggiedog

You have allot of crap on the pins I would rebuild the whole front axel if I were you then you wouldn't have anymore problems with it but that's up to you on that one I rebuilt my front end a few years ago and now it works fine everything lines up perfectly.
On mine I just got new bearings minus the king pins as they weren't wore much but I got everything else new bushings,pills,felts and all new cups and nuts and bolts everything to rebuild the front end.
But the spendy thing is the reamer that you need for the bushings there like $100.00 but well worth it as you can't do it without the reamer. Have fun with it Reggie
reggiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:33 AM   #4
Ian Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
Remove the actuating rods inside the spindles. You may have also damaged them or the actuator lever cups using force? Brattons has the correct length rods if you need to replace them. When you find yourself thinking you should be using brute force stop and ask first it will save you in the long run
I tried getting it on before I mounted the backing plates & inserted the pins, and it didn't fit any better. Perhaps it is worth another shot. It all looks fine, and to make it as far off as it is I would think the damage would have to be pretty noticeable. I think the problem is that the actuating arm "unseats" in the kingpin cup at about the same angle that the arm is rotated far enough back to get the bolt through the hole.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:52 PM   #5
reggiedog

I would do what I told you to do before rebuild the front end that's the only way you are going to fix this and never have a problem with it again.

But that's up to you reggie
reggiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:16 PM   #6
Herb Concord Ca

Remove the locking pin. This will allow you to rotate kingpin cup so that the actuating arm will seat fully in the cup. Then rotate the cup back and the arm will slide into the hole in the spring perch.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:32 PM   #7
bunnyc

I agree with Herb. That's what worked for me. I also had trouble with the left side.
bunnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:31 PM   #8
Ian Curtis

Should someone stumble on this thread in the future, I wanted to include a conclusion.

I spent an evening with the biggest hammer I had and copious amounts of PB Blaster and was unable to make that silly pin budge. Then I left for a month long business trip. When I got back, I had a fellow club member come over, and the first hit with a hammer it flew right out. Once that pin was out, it was no problem to rotate the kingpin, and everything fit just like the book said it should.

I must've done all the hard work loosening it up the month before.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:48 PM   #9
Gerald1961

The brake actuation shaft fits horizontally moved outwards into the king pin cup.But this assembly procedure is restricted by the thread bolted to the spring perch. So the assembly has to be rotated in place. Worked fine for me.Good luck!
Gerald
Gerald1961 is offline   Reply With Quote