Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-17-2018, 02:45 PM   #1

Default Thank you to Bubba

I'd like to express my appreciation to Bubba, (and Terry as well), for posting the video of the helmut distributor tear-down and reassembly. It was certainly well done and very informative!
The other day I did the 'unthinkable'- accidently left the ign. switch on for a couple of hrs. (something I said I'd never do). Anyway, I decided to pull the dist. and change the points because they were probably burnt from the switch being left on. When I got the dist. out I realized that it was in pretty rough shape. There was a lot of play in the shaft, (end to end play), a hairline crack in the housing, and the setting was moved way over to the left, (retard). How the car ran so well with a dist. like this, I don't know! I have quite a few distributors here, and NOS rotors and points etc. so I decided to take one apart, (after watching Bubba's video a few times). I cleaned it up, put a new rotor and points in, lubricated it, (as per Bubba's instructions), and put it back together. Now it's in the car and seems to be performing excellently! I can only 'yard test' it because there is salt on the roads here, (winter has come). Looking forward to a good road test to see how it does- but that may not be 'till spring!
Anyway, thanks again to Bubba and Terry, (I never would have attempted this if I hadn't seen the video). You two guys are excellent teachers and true craftsmen. You are a huge asset to our hobby!
Doug.
1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:58 PM   #2
Step-down

Default Re: Thank you to Bubba

I missed the video on Helmet ,watched the one on the crab . Did Bubba post a link ?
Old 11-18-2018, 07:24 AM   #3

Yes, I don't know how to post the link here but if you do a search of shooter_bighorn you'll find his post called 'distributor question'. Bubba posted on that with the link.
1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:02 PM   #4
Habusailor

That was a great video. Thanks Bubba

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Habusailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #5
Richardtx

How do i get Bubbas videos?
Richardtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:39 PM   #6
Jack E/NJ

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
https://aviondemand.wistia.com/medias/expa13egyr

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:58 PM   #7
Step-down

Thanks for posting Jack.
Thanks Bubba
Old 11-18-2018, 06:24 PM   #8
GB SISSON

No idea how I learned this stuff back in the 80s and 90s with no internet. I had about 6 or 8 books back then. They were great books and I wore out the covers. It is a huge asset for us living in rural areas with no clubs etc to gain the specific knowledge about unusual engines like the flathead V8 just by opening a 'page'. Pretty much a miracle where I come from. Many thanks to Bubba (who is a very fine individual... Mac Van Pelt, another) for sharing their knowledge with a bunch of guys that just like owning and fixing and driving beautifully designed and built machinery from a past generation. Hats off to ya! Thanks, GB in Olga
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:01 PM   #9
jim1932

OH hell!!! "Back in the 80's and 90's"?? We are probably lucky people couldn't do much in the 80's and 90's....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 80s.jpg (61.8 KB, 7 views)