Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-29-2017, 11:24 AM   #1
iverson

Default The story of Our 28 touring

I wanted to tell you guys how my uncle got our 28 touring in 1951. My dad and his brothers had a junk yard gas station car lot in Des plaines il when one of the regular b.s.er that hung around told my uncle about a real nice A touring that a guy had that wanted to sell.my uncle went to see the owner the next Sunday he was surprised it was almost a mansion the house keeper answered the door and took him to the studio to see the owner after asking about the a for sale the guy says I have an a but it's not for sale I use it for carrying my art supply's when I paint landscapes who told you it was for sale? My uncle told him and he said oh that guy! he has been bothering me for a long time I told to get out and don't come back car is not for sale! that's when my uncle found out his friend sent him on a wild goose chase! They both got a laugh out of it and after a nice visit my uncle apologized for bothering him and started to leave he got half way out and the guy said wait I have a 16 year old nefue that wants that car and I don't want him hurt in it I will sell it to you so he gave him 100 bucks for it and it's been in our family ever since the next week when the bs friend stoped by my uncle showed him the car and thanked him he got mad and called my uncle some names! It was like new then but after 65 years it shows it age I put tires on it and did a few things but it's mostly untouched we drive it all the time for local trips my uncle is 99 now he can still drive but not safely!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2127.jpg (64.9 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2128.jpg (93.1 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2126.jpg (102.3 KB, 106 views)
iverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:55 PM   #2
Mike Peters

Default Re: The story of Our 28 touring

Iverson: You drove your uncle and his 28 touring to Sharon this past June, and I had a nice conversation with you about this car. We took many photos. This has to be one of the nicest and most unmolested Phaetons anywhere. Did you see the other original phaeton that came to Sharon that day? Early 29, parked at the south end of main street. Period hot rod, with a flathead V8, but untouched body. Both cars had the rear seat curtain tray, but yours had an original spring loaded latch, and the 29 had storm window twisties to hold the door closed. I believe both are correct, as Ford discontinued the earlier latch in favor of the simpler and cheaper twist latch. Thank you again for bringing this very special car to Sharon. Mike
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:59 PM   #3
2manycars

That is a great car and a great story. I like that it is still unrestored, and it looks beautiful.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:16 PM   #4
iverson

Mike it was nice talking to you at Sharon! Our car has a Wisconsin connection the original owner Ferdinand hotz was a famous artist and photographer that had a place in door county I hope to get to the historical society there some time to see if the a is any of his pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2134.jpg (99.4 KB, 45 views)
iverson is offline   Reply With Quote