Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2020, 09:54 PM   #1
srosa707

Default No Oil Pressure in 8BA

Hey fellas. So I've taken a 10+ year hiatus on my coupe '29 project due to LIFE and am just now getting back on it. I had a 59AB that ran good but had 0-2lbs of oil pressure at stop lights. I parked it, built an old chopper, life happened, and now here we are. Instead of dropping coin on a build, I picked up an 8BA from a buddy that had been sitting in his garage for 15 years. Long story short, I swapped water pumps, pulley, generator (12V), checked valves and lifters for movement, and everything looked good. Got it installed and just dropped in a Chevy converted distributor and new coil from Charlie in NY and finally got it fired up today (WOOHOO!)! I noticed the oil gauge didn't budge so I shut it off after about 15 seconds or so. Checked the oil (good), rechecked all lines to make sure I wasn't spraying oil anywhere and they were all good too. Fired it back up for a couple of seconds and still nothing so I shut it down. Also, this motor was pretty sludgy when I took it apart so maybe the oil pump is gummed up?

Now, is there any way to test the pump with the motor still in the car? If not, can I pull the pump with the motor still in the car by dropping the pan? Really hoping to not have to pull everything again to swap it. Not sure If I have to access the idler pulley in front of the pressure plate. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
srosa707 is offline   Reply With Quote