Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-05-2022, 08:38 PM   #1
mcgarrett

Default Best quality rattle can paint

Who sells the best quality rattle can paint? Have been using pro grade Rustoleum, but wanted to know if there are other offerings with better durability, gloss, and rust resistance.
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 09:18 PM   #2
Jack E/NJ

Default Re: Best quality rattle can paint

Dunno. But I hear some pro-grade brush-ons look good from a distantce too. 8^)
Jack E/NJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:10 PM   #3
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgarrett View Post
Who sells the best quality rattle can paint? Have been using pro grade Rustoleum, but wanted to know if there are other offerings with better durability, gloss, and rust resistance.
I don't rattle can much as I haven't been doing much of that kind of work but I totally gave up on Rustoleum because the nozzles kept clogging, despite cleaning. It sends me over the top to spend 7 or 8 bucks on a can only to have it clog permanently mid job. I believe Kube had that same complaint sometime ago in another thread. I don't recall the brand of the last can I bought but it worked fine for its application clog free. I'll see if I can find it.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:14 PM   #4
325w

Seymore. brand is super paint. Here in DFW area it’s hard to find however.
325w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:35 PM   #5
Don

I have used kyrlon with good results and not to expensive,,
Old 01-05-2022, 10:48 PM   #6
19Fordy

High gloss acrylic engine enamel.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:32 PM   #7
swedishsteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
I don't rattle can much as I haven't been doing much of that kind of work but I totally gave up on Rustoleum because the nozzles kept clogging, despite cleaning. It sends me over the top to spend 7 or 8 bucks on a can only to have it clog permanently mid job. I believe Kube had that same complaint sometime ago in another thread. I don't recall the brand of the last can I bought but it worked fine for its application clog free. I'll see if I can find it.

I think any rattle can that sits a long time needs to be shaken for a LONG time. My theory is that the pigment settles to the bottom, just as a can of liquid paint needs to be stirred after sitting. I put them in a vibratory tumbler and let them shake while I go do something else--have had good luck with doing that. Also, after use, I take the tip off and blow carb cleaner through it and then put it in a container with some sort of solvent so the paint doesn't harden in the tip.

To the original question, I've had good luck with Rustoleum. Takes a few days to really cure, but does last pretty good in some pretty harsh conditions like my 16 foot trailer here in the Minnesota salt.
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:39 PM   #8
steve hackel

Just a suggestion, as an experiment if you wish; find a mixer, can shaker, or make

an adapter to fit into the end of your Saws-all that will hold a spry can securely

enough to shake the heck out of it. They are available on Amazon and Ebay, but
once you look at a picture of them you will get the idea. This will allow you to

take a single can to experiment with. This over agitation will usually solve the
clogging nozzle issue. It's always been a lack of mixing the paint enough to

get the solids from the bottom edges where the bottom and sides come together.
On several occasions when this situation came up, I took the propellant out of the can and then cut it open to research the problem. After pouring out the remainder of
the paint I used a Dental "pick" to dig down into the edges of the factory seam
and found very small solid pieces of hardened paint that were the probable cause
of the nozzles clogging. The next time I needed to spray a quality finish I used
my Saws-all to shake the cans for several minuets on each one - the results
were absolutely amazing, and the color from each can matched the previous one.
steve hackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:52 PM   #9
svm99

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve hackel View Post
Just a suggestion, as an experiment if you wish; find a mixer, can shaker, or make

an adapter to fit into the end of your Saws-all that will hold a spry can securely

enough to shake the heck out of it. They are available on Amazon and Ebay, but
once you look at a picture of them you will get the idea. This will allow you to

take a single can to experiment with. This over agitation will usually solve the
clogging nozzle issue. It's always been a lack of mixing the paint enough to

get the solids from the bottom edges where the bottom and sides come together.
On several occasions when this situation came up, I took the propellant out of the can and then cut it open to research the problem. After pouring out the remainder of
the paint I used a Dental "pick" to dig down into the edges of the factory seam
and found very small solid pieces of hardened paint that were the probable cause
of the nozzles clogging. The next time I needed to spray a quality finish I used
my Saws-all to shake the cans for several minuets on each one - the results
were absolutely amazing, and the color from each can matched the previous one.
In addition to these great suggestions I store my paint upside down, seems to help with nozzle clogging... especially with Rustoleum. Paul J.
svm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 07:48 AM   #10
PeteVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
I posted about this a couple of years ago. I had been using Rustoleum with the same nozzle problems. It seems that they "improved" the product my making it so it would paint "in any position." They did this by making the straw inside the can very large. Once you pressed the button, that big straw would fill up with a ton of paint and you could turn the can upside down and paint all day. But that big straw made it impossible to simply turn the can upside down, push the nozzle for a couple of seconds and have the propellant blow the nozzle clean.

My initial fix was to pop the nozzle off, throw it in a small bottle with some mineral spirits, shake the bottle, retrieve the nozzle, blow the solvent out and then gently place the nozzle back on the can. When this was working, I'd keep using that nozzle on successive cans, saving the "virgin" nozzles.

I also ran into a problem with a single can of Krylon that I bought. I let that nozzle clog and none of my extra Rustolem nozzles would fit the Krylon can. I took one of the Rustoleum nozzles and gently drilled it out with a 5/32" drill where it goes onto the can. Worked well.

Then, I found at Harbor Freight a 3M aerosol "spray gun cleaner" which is aerosols acetone. It comes with a skinny tube that fits into older "regular" nozzles. I have some 1/8" diameter Teflon tubing that I had bought as a paint pick up tube for an air brush. It fits over the 3M tube and into the old Rustoleum nozzles. Works great.

Now back to paint brands: I started buying Seymour brand on Amazon. I love it but I can't say how well it lasts. With Prime, it doesn't cost an arm and leg to ship. And, I can invert the can to blow the nozzle clean but I still pop it off and blow the 3M stuff through it anyway.

Last edited by PeteVS; 01-07-2022 at 10:52 AM.
PeteVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 07:49 AM   #11
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325w View Post
Seymore. brand is super paint. Here in DFW area it’s hard to find however.
This. You can order it on line. Best spray bomb I've used.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 01:02 AM   #12
Tinker

Depends on what you are doing with it. There is a whole industry of spray paint for murals. Very good stuff.

Small parts? chassis? engine? Painting a car?
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 01:06 AM   #13
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
I posted about this a couple of years ago. I had been using Rustoleum with the same nozzle problems. It seems that they "improved" the product my making it so it would paint "in any position." They did this by making the straw inside the can very large. Once you pressed the button, that big straw would fill up with a ton of paint and you could turn the can upside down and paint all day. But that big straw made it impossible to simply turn the can upside down, push the nozzle for a couple of seconds and have the propellant blow the nozzle clean.

My initial fix was to pop the nozzle off, throw it in a small bottle with some mineral spirits, shake the bottle, retrieve the nozzle, blow the solvent out and then gently place the nozzle back on the can. When this was working, I'd keep using that nozzle on successive cans, saving the "virgin" nozzles.

I also ran into a problem with a single can of Krylon that I bought. I let that nozzle clog and none of my extra Rustolem nozzles would fit the Krylon can. I took one of the Rustoleum nozzles and gently drilled it out with a 5/32" drill where it goes onto the can. Worked well.

Then, I found at Harbor Freight a 3M aerosol "spray gun cleaner" which is aerosols acetone. It comes with a skinny tube that fits into older "regular" nozzles. I have some 1/8" diameter Teflon tubing that I had bought as a paint pick up tube for an air brush. It fits over the 3M tube and into the old Rustoleum nozzles. Works great.

Now back to paint brands: I started buying Seymour brand on Amazon. I love it but I can't say how well it lasts. With Prime, it doesn't cost an arm and leg to ship. And, I can invert the can to blow the nozzle clean but I still pop it off and blow the 3M stuff through it anyway.

Had a club member paint a whole car with rustoleum pints from the hardware store and acetone thinner. Looked okay. The guy never had a car for very long however.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 06:40 AM   #14
Oldbluoval

“Depends on what you are doing with it.”

Yep that’s the good question
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 01:01 PM   #15
Shoebox

Although not as many color offerings as some of the above mentioned brands, Bill Hirsch paints are simply awesome.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 05:59 PM   #16
wga

SEM paints - used these for years, nice spray pattern
https://www.semproducts.com/

For interior refinishing, check these guys:
https://www.colorbondpaint.com/

Dupli Color products, not just touch up paints: