Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
JoeMarine

Default Replacing a carburetor

Quick question, I hope.
I'm looking to replace my carburetor.
I looked at MAC and they have three for sale.
Zenith 1,
Air balanced Zenith 1, and
Tillotson X.
I'm really not too sure which to purchase.
Can someone recommend one over the other.
Do I need to adjust it once installed or just slap it on and it's ready.
Any secrets to installing?
Thanks in advance.
Semper Fidelis
Joe
JoeMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Replacing a carburetor

i would not buy a carb from MACS let alone those $450.00 new ones which are made off shore and i believe have the crappy generic jets that all the suppliers sell and run rich.
ck out a flow tested reblt from renners corner or berts better and cheaper..
or buy a set of flow tested jets from renners and do it yourself its not hard

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 10-06-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
MBI Houston

Over the past three years I have purchased two rebuilt carbs from Bert's. I have been very happy with both of them. I get over 20mpg from each of them and have had no problems. Burt's has competitive prices and outstanding service.
MBI Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
Joe K

Were I to buy a carburetor, I would probably NOT buy one from MAC. Not that they wouldn't back it up if there were problems, but theirs is certainly "off the shelf." They'll take yours back and replace it with the NEXT one off the shelf - meanwhile your problem, if you perceive one, will likely still be there.

Were I to buy an off the shelf carburetor, I would probably rather go with Snyders or Brattons. Or better yet Berts who have had rave reviews recently on the quality of their rebuilt units.

And I think rebuilt a better game than something new and off the shelf anyway. And rebuilt from any of these three sources would have FULL attention and rework possible to make it the best unit possible. Attention to detail in rebuilding and flow testing of the individual unit is what makes a successful carburetor, either new or rebuilt. My feeling is that rebuilt offers a slightly higher quality product at more cost effective price.

Now Zenith or Zenith w/ balance or Tillotson X you'll find the marketplace somewhat divided. I myself prefer the Tilly X. It gets slightly better gas mileage than the Zenith, doesn't seem to have stumble problems (some of the Wiz or other so called "high mileage" units can be problematical) and parts and documentation are available for DIY on the Tilly X.

But there are those who are messing around with Zenith or ZBalance and they're happy with their units too. Design of a carburetor is a compromise of a bunch of interfering factors and what works for one driver may be unacceptable for another.

The balance modification on the Zenith is so it will run an air-maze filter without issue, but I've run my Zenith unbalanced with an air-maze and didn't notice a bit of difference either way. So for me the jury is still out on that one.

The biggest single thing you can do with a new carburetor to assure performance is to check the float level using a flex tube. I would consider this mandatory. Beyond that it's simply a matter of twiddling the idle speed for a nice low idle, and the idle richness. Catch up with one of the various booklets by Moller or others which will help with initial setup. I think there may be some instructions online too IIRC.

And I wouldn't rule out doing your own carburetor. It's not rocket science. And not a large matter to solder and port the jets and flow test them yourself. For what costs upwards of a couple of hundred for the rebuilt units can be done in one's basement for about $40.

And the knowledge and confidence you will gain will be PRICELESS.

Joe K
Old 10-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
Clem Clement

Joe,
Are you coming to Hershey. This is a good place to find carbs, rebuilt or raw.

I live in Fairfax. I just loaned my spare carb to a newbie in Herndon.

I have carb bottoms for sale at Hershey but not a complete carb.

A clean unwarped Tillison will run fine and are usually cheap.

Semper fi bro.
Clem USAF retd. Hershey booth OBF59
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
jim1932

I second renner's
Old 10-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
29er

I enjoyed rebuilding Henrietta's Zenith just for the learning experience. I found Tom Endy's article especially helpful:

http://modelabasics.com/Carb/ZenithC...l2011-2007.pdf

... Thanks Tom!

I did purchased flow-tested jets from Renner's just to get the project going, but plan to get into the whole flow-testing procedure this winter when I've got more time. I learned lots, and for me that's the funnest part of this hobby! Installation is a snap. I've had it off and on many times since just to tinker with it. I have since rebuilt another that I carry with me, and have put together a little carb kit that I also carry.
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
Donvito

Just be careful tightening the two bolts from the carb to the intake manifold. Too tight and the manifold breaks.
Donvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
johnsor

Give Bert's a call. They will have a good standard Zenith that will work great and easy to adjust to your engine. Tillotson's work good but I like the cast iron Zenith over the pot metal Tillotson.
johnsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
Skrain

Try Mike's in Georgia, too.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #11
Rowdy
BANNED

Do yourself a favor asnd toss Mac's catalogue in the trash and buy your parts from Bert's or Bratton's. Gauranteed to get better parts and service than what what you will get through Mac's. Everyone that has posted on this about carb's has given good advice. Rod
Old 10-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #12
Aok

I got a rebuilt Zenith from Berts about 6 months ago works well no complaints. It was I think $200 with a zenith core trade in more without the core
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #13
barnstuf

There has been valuable information posted by previous remarks on the new carburetors but one poster is in error when he states the carburetors are "made offshore". Both the Zenith and the Tillotson carburetors made today are made in the USA according to the description in the catalog of the wholesale firm that has them made. They list all imported parts as imports but there is no such notation with the carburetors Zenith or Tillotson. The Zenith carburetor is described as "manufactured to original Zenith blueprints and specifications under an exclusive contract with Zenith". I agree that they are not tested or road tested but are assembled and sent to dealers. Fine tuning is often needed.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote