Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
JoeMarine

Default Flushing a radiator

I'm Finally getting closer to replacing my water pump in my '30 Model A this weekend. I plan to flush the radiator also. Any hints on flushing a radiator would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance
Semper Fidelis
Joe Marine
JoeMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
ford3

Default Re: Flushing a radiator

you need to back flush the radiator with air and water, you can get the back flush tool at most parts stores, you will have more luck with the tool than any radiator flush product on the market, if some of the radiator cores are plugged nothing you can do will help, it will need to be taken to a rad shop and have it rodded out
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
JoeMarine

I was reading that some folks have actually flushed their radiators using distilled white vinegar, followed by flushing with Water. Has anyone ever tried that method? Is it worth the squeeze?
Semper Fidelis
Joe Marine
Old 09-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
Brentwood Bob

Try it. I used simple green first. Reverse flushing is important for the block as well as the radiator. Isolate one from the other. Also consider pulling the return casting off the drivers side of the block and probing the rear of the block along with an air nozzle to blow out the scale from the water jacket. You will do the block a favor, as well as the radiator. You will also reduce the GVW of the car(weight) by at least a pound of crap.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
racer32

Looks like someone else is working on cooling. I pulled the radiator out of my car today for a flush. I'm going to try a soak with vinegar then back-flush it.

Not trying to highjack this thread, but maybe one of you guys can help. I've got something weird going on with the radiator. In the top tank near the water neck, there is a bent piece of brass sheetmetal. It's just sitting in the top of the tank-not attached. What the heck is it????
racer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
joe plumber

I always use pure lemon juice .I use this on all water cooled compressors also. Jmo.Semper Fi Joe Marine from another Joe Marine .( Good night Chesty where ever you are.)
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #7
huddy

[QUOTE=( Good night Chesty where ever you are.)[/QUOTE]
We know where he is - in Heaven, heading up the guards. ("If the Army and the Navy every looked on Heaven's scenes..." etc.)

Semper Fi from an ex-dogface.
huddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
ford3

if any cores are plugged there is nothng you can put in rad to clean them, any solution needs to flow past any scale or rust to remove it, solution setting on top of a plug will not remove it, plugged cores need to be rodded out at a quality rad shop,all the suggested cleaners will work for removing loose scale or rust, but will not unplug a pluged rad core
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #9
Tom Endy

Go on line to www.ocmafc.com (the web site of the Orange County Model A Ford Club of Southern California). On the menu at left scroll down to "tech articles" and click. It will bring up a new menu. Click on my name at the top (Tom Endy) and it will bring up a series of articles. They are all adobe files and you are welcome to download and use any of them.

The top article is about back flushing the engine and the radiator. You are welcome to down load it.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
JoeMarine

Semper Fi Joe, thanks
Old 09-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #11
JoeMarine

Thanks Gents. . .project is about to begin!
Old 09-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
tootsie

I researched this and found an article that also suggested white vinegar, bought three half gallon bottles and ran a 50:50 mix in the car for about a15 mile trip. When I drained it the resemblance to dirty ice tea was uncanny. I have repeated this process three times and now it comes out reasonably clear. I recall most research said stuff sold in auto parts stores was expensive and not very effective. I just read the tech pdf on back flushing and will try it with a simple modification of using 'freeze plugs' from plumbing supply house in lieu of making something. These are essentially rubber plugs with a bolt through the center that when tightened causes the rubber to bulge. It should be very simple to adapt a hose bib to this. Good luck, hope this will be of some benefit.
tootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #13
huddy

Probably a dumb question - but how would you think C.L.R. (Consists of Water, Lactic Acid, Gluconic Acid, Lauryldimethyl Hydroxysultaine, Propylene Glycol & Normal Butyl Ether, according to their MSDS) would work? Thoroughly flushed afterward, of course. (My granddad used to use CocaCola to break rusty pipe fittings, and I believe it was the phosphoric acid in the Coke that did it).
huddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #14
JoeMarine

Thanks to all who helped me with this chore today. It went off like a champ. Used White vinegar and flushed it just like recommended. Also replaced the water pump with a leakless water pump and replaced a cracked fan blade. . . purrs like a kitten. Again, thanks for the help. . .the Ford Barn and company are the best!
Semper Fidelis
Joe Marine