Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2022, 03:50 PM   #41
Bill Cilker

Default Re: 1929 Pickup interior

Here is a picture of a 1931 AA truck original interior. I know that it is not a 28-29 but many of the pieces would be similar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0026 s.jpg (48.1 KB, 62 views)
Victoria Association President
Bill Cilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 03:58 PM   #42
Neil Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cilker View Post
Here is a picture of a 1931 AA truck original interior. I know that it is not a 28-29 but many of the pieces would be similar.
Note that the seat cushion has a panel which wraps down the front/sides and has darts. All vendor kits that I have seen are not upholstered like original.

https://aafords.com Ford Model AA Truck Club @ aafords.com
Neil Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 04:01 PM   #43
Eccentric Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Wilson View Post
Note that the seat cushion has a panel which wraps down the front/sides and has darts. All vendor kits that I have seen are not upholstered like original.
Also notice the map case on the driver's side kick panel. Wondering if that's original to the 28-29's.

Kick panel.....is that the proper term?

eog
Eccentric Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 04:17 PM   #44
LeonardS

Quote:
Do you think they are darts, or just places where the vinyl has come off the backing? Maybe that’s where the upholstery creases when you sit on the seat.
LeonardS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 04:51 PM   #45
Neil Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentric Old Guy View Post
Also notice the map case on the driver's side kick panel. Wondering if that's original to the 28-29's.

Kick panel.....is that the proper term?eog

EOG, The right-side cowl panel has a map-pocket. That was standard for the 82-B closed cab (sold by vendors now). The 82-A closed cab had map-pockets on each side at the quarter panels. See attached (look close to see the pocket).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ad15-82-A-up-q8.jpg (41.1 KB, 36 views)

Old 01-07-2022, 05:05 PM   #46
Neil Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
Do you think they are darts, or just places where the vinyl has come off the backing? Maybe that’s where the upholstery creases when you sit on the seat.

LeonardS, Actually, those are darts. The panel must have darts to allow it to wrap the edges. Attached is an original 82-A seat cushion (well worn).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seat Cushion 2b 960px.jpg (63.6 KB, 40 views)

Old 01-07-2022, 05:06 PM   #47
LeonardS

Quote:
LeonardS, Actually, those are darts. The panel must have darts to allow it to wrap the edges. Attached is an original 82-A seat cushion (well worn).
Thanks for the close up photo!
Old 01-07-2022, 05:06 PM   #48
Bob C

Here is an 82A seat, you can see the darts in the back and bottom cushion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 82a-48.jpg (79.8 KB, 40 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 06:00 PM   #49
Eccentric Old Guy

Quote:
EOG, The right-side cowl panel has a map-pocket. That was standard for the 82-B closed cab (sold by vendors now). The 82-A closed cab had map-pockets on each side at the quarter panels. See attached (look close to see the pocket).
Thanks for the come-back, Neil.....

Yes, I have those two map pockets you show in the pic.

Pardon me for being dumb, but what does 82-A, and 82-B indicate?

eog
Old 01-07-2022, 06:52 PM   #50
Keith True

82-A is the early,28-mid 30 closed cab.Around here we call them square cabs.Other parts of the country they were called phone booth cabs.82-B is the mid 30 on,the more rounded cab.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 10:50 AM   #51
rotorwrench

I'm not sure what is being referred to as "Darts". Vinyl did not exist in the materials that Ford used at the time. The Faux leather or leatherette was a pyroxylin coated fabric with different grains embossed on it to give it a look of leather. When leather was used on deluxe models it was many times only located on the seating surfaces of the upper and lower cushions.

I can see the seating surface material and the lower valance portion separated by the piping between the two on the lower cushion in posts numbered 46 & 48, On the upper cushion of post 48, the seating surface is a normal material and the part that surrounds the spring box appears to be a cloth material on the sides and a seating material over the top with piping only on the top where it all can be seen while installed in the cab. I don't know it Ford originally did it this way but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. These vehicles were very much for utility and the accommodations for seating were too.

I wouldn't be surprised if the two authors of the book I referenced in post #32 were not complete as to other panel board types or grain patterns. They didn't make any reference to the difference between the early square cab and the late Budd closed cab either. The one Brent shows in post #33 looks similar to some "Dash" or "Chicken Foot" patterns that Ford used. I figure that Ford had a corner over at the old Highland Park plant where they made the panel board materials or they farmed it out and purchased in rolls or bales. They likely used rollers to press together layers & emboss larger sheets of the board stock that could be cut with pattern dies into all the shapes they needed with minimal waste of materials. Most lower cowl areas and the rumble seat side areas were covered with panel boards such as these as well a Commercial vehicle interior coverings. This was an inexpensive way to add a pleasing look to otherwise ugly spots on their products.

Ford and other manufacturers used similar products for pickups and trucks well up into the 50s or maybe even later till vinyl products replaced them.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 01-08-2022 at 10:58 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 11:02 AM   #52
Neil Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentric Old Guy View Post
Thanks for the come-back, Neil.....

Yes, I have those two map pockets you show in the pic.

Pardon me for being dumb, but what does 82-A, and 82-B indicate?

eog
EOG,
Ford assigned Type identifiers to all A and AA bodies. From aafords.com:

Note – The Indianapolis Service Letter of 5/16/30 announced the assignment of “Body Model Numbers” (referenced as “Types” soon afterwards). Body Model Numbers (Types) were assigned to both current and past A and AA bodies. The types corresponded with a body part number grouping (example – platform type 88-A was for body parts number group 88000-88999).

Refer to RGJS page 8 and page E-3 for Type listings.

Example: A 1929 pickup consisted of a cab and cargo body. The cab was a 76-A open cab or 82-A closed cab. The cargo body was a 78-A.

Without knowing the Type ids, it is much harder to use Ford body and/or chassis parts lists.

Old 01-08-2022, 11:54 AM   #53
Bob C

This is what I call a dart and I think that is what Neil was referring to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 82a-48 2.jpg (80.2 KB, 29 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 03:22 PM   #54
Eccentric Old Guy

Quote:
EOG,
Ford assigned Type identifiers to all A and AA bodies. From aafords.com:

Note – The Indianapolis Service Letter of 5/16/30 announced the assignment of “Body Model Numbers” (referenced as “Types” soon afterwards). Body Model Numbers (Types) were assigned to both current and past A and AA bodies. The types corresponded with a body part number grouping (example – platform type 88-A was for body parts number group 88000-88999).

Refer to RGJS page 8 and page E-3 for Type listings.

Example: A 1929 pickup consisted of a cab and cargo body. The cab was a 76-A open cab or 82-A closed cab. The cargo body was a 78-A.

Without knowing the Type ids, it is much harder to use Ford body and/or chassis parts lists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
82-A is the early,28-mid 30 closed cab.Around here we call them square cabs.Other parts of the country they were called phone booth cabs.82-B is the mid 30 on,the more rounded cab.
Thank you for this information, gentlemen....

eog
Old 01-08-2022, 04:43 PM   #55
31Tudor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito-A View Post
If both MARC and MAFCA don’t care then I will stand down despite my own opinions.
I guess I really don't understand your point! When someone asks a technical question, we are just supposed to say, by the book! I guess if someone asks, what color the engine should be we can't say green, because the judging standards also says it is green.

The Model A community probably has one of the most comprehensive restoration tools available, through research and studying original cars. When someone gives incorrect information, I feel it is acceptable to correct the wrong information and provide the source. I guess, my own opinion as well.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 08:49 PM   #56
rotorwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
This is what I call a dart and I think that is what Neil was referring to.
Thanks for clarification on this term. This is one reason for the use of piping around the edges by most trimmers. This keeps the material from bunching up like the darts as indicated. I haven't seen a lot of seat covers done this way and have no idea whether this was a common practice at Ford during the model A era. I am certainly open minded about Ford's practices in fabrication of seat covers.

I knew a fellow back in my old home town that made seat covers mostly for truck and bus seats. He did several for my Pop over the years. There are less original model As now than there were back in the day. A few of the old timers that initially came up with information for MAFCA and MARC actually worked for Ford back in the day. Between them and the Ford archives, that's a good bit on what we have to go by in the modern era.

When stuff is no longer available, a person has a hard time finding fault for those that use the next best thing available and especially for driver cars.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:43 AM   #57
LeonardS

Back to the top, so Ryan can let us know what MAFCA says.
Old 01-10-2022, 02:49 PM   #58
History

I shouldn't but I'm going to,,,,,,. Information that was obtained through hard work and put into a book to be purchased so as to obtain the information needs to be protected BUT,,,. With the internet and clubs and friends the information is spread so that it's almost available to everyone. If I had worked and found information and had books to sell I would not want it to be as easy for other people, I worked hard to obtain and compile it. I know a guy who was in the business of printing and selling forms for banks, technology put him out of business. Patents only last so long, I would think it's similar to copywrite but don't assume that. I do think authors should atleast get the credit when quoted. I guess it really depends on the individual because I see it both ways.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:16 PM   #59
Neil Wilson

FYI - The RGJS is maintained/updated by the two national club's Judging Standards Committees. I provided the 123 page AA Supplement information/photos and then helped the JSC to edit and change text as was desired.

Hundreds of hours was spent getting the last RGJS revision ready. The JSC and anyone helping them got zero $'s for their time.

The only $'s spent was for an editor hired to make the new revision ready for the printer and the cost of the printing/selling/distribution.

In my opinion, it would be best for the hobby to have this document in electronic form for everyone (at no cost). Most of the information in the AA Supplement is on my AAFords.com site. Anyone can use/copy/distribute information/photos from my site.

Just my opinion - copy and use it all.

Old 01-10-2022, 10:13 PM   #60
LeonardS

Quote:
FYI - The RGJS is maintained/updated by the two national club's Judging Standards Committees. I provided the 123 page AA Supplement information/photos and then helped the JSC to edit and change text as was desired.

Hundreds of hours was spent getting the last RGJS revision ready. The JSC and anyone helping them got zero $'s for their time.

The only $'s spent was for an editor hired to make the new revision ready for the printer and the cost of the printing/selling/distribution.

In my opinion, it would be best for the hobby to have this document in electronic form for everyone (at no cost). Most of the information in the AA Supplement is on my AAFords.com site. Anyone can use/copy/distribute information/photos from my site.

Just my opinion - copy and use it all.
This is the correct mentality for this hobby! Thanks for sharing your information rather than trying to hide it from the world.