Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-12-2020, 04:51 PM   #21
1939Deluxesedan

Default Re: Gasoline flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggmac View Post
Is it converted to 12 volt , original was 6 volt pos ground . Have you cranked it without spark ? Take the plugs out , shoot some marvel mystery oil in each hole , let sit a day ortwo add more oil , crank ( hopefully with plugs out ) until you have oil pressure .
Where do you live , maybe someone local can help .
Gary
The motor didn't want to turn over. I took the plugs out and added marvel mystery oil to each cylinder. The best I could do is rock it back and forth at first, slowly gaining an inch or two each time. I did this every night for 2-3 weeks until I got a complete rotation. It turns over pretty good now with the ford starter and a 12 volt battery. Good question about the Mallory ignition. I wish I knew. Based on the fact that it had an old 12 volt battery in it when I got it, I would guess a 12 volt system. Oil pressure is another good point. I want to be sure I've got it. How can I do that?
I am in Troy Alabama.
1939Deluxesedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:19 PM   #22
RKS.PA

You can access everything you need to remove the tank from under the car....have done it several times until I finally got a replacement from Dennis Carpenter....solved my "tank" issues.

As noted several times above, the tank may be the least of your issues in bringing this one back to life!!! You have a wonderful adventure ahead of you and I love the '39's!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-12-2020, 06:24 PM   #23
Ggmac

Drain oil , add 5 qts new oil , install mechanical oil pressure gauge , inexpensive easy to do .
Crank motor a few seconds at a time till oil pressure registers . Do not crank for minutes, the starter may or may not have been converted and its an intermittent motor , not meant to be cranking many minutes , especially being 70 yrs old .
No plugs and no gas or spark while cranking for oil pressure
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 12:16 AM   #24
40 Deluxe

A question about all this "crank until you get oil pressure"advice: What about the cam lobes and the lifters? After years of sitting, there will not be any oil on the lobes or lifters! So there's metal-to-metal contact until the engine is started and splashes oil onto the cam. How much grinding of the lobes against the lifters can occur before damage is done?

It's funny how many guys here are adamant about the need for extra zinc in your oil to "protect the cam", yet these same individuals will say "crank it until you get oil pressure"! Something does not add up here!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 12:45 PM   #25
1939Deluxesedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
Lockheed brakes had no connection with the aircraft manufacturer.
Lockheed brakes were in use before the aircraft company was created.
I read somewhere that ford partnered with Lockheed on the first year of hydraulic brakes usage. I don't know what that means in terms of actual involvement or supply. I thought it was pretty cool. Most likely the original master cylinder, or a very old replacement.
1939Deluxesedan is offline   Reply With Quote