Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
DBF 30

Default Oil Pan baffel plate

Guess I should have asked this BEFORE I removed the oil pan baffel plate to get at the sludge in the bottom of the pan. Took a little prying on the oil pump side but it finally poped out of the grooves in the side of the pan.

Got to checking out Les Andrews repair manual and he makes no mention as being able to remove it. Looks like it will just pop back in place.

Am I wrong in assuming this is a removable piece? or did I screw up some tollerances? I wanted to make sure I got all of the pieces on the oil pump spring that was broken up.

Thanks
DBF 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #2
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: Oil Pan baffel plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBF 30 View Post
Guess I should have asked this BEFORE I removed the oil pan baffel plate to get at the sludge in the bottom of the pan. Took a little prying on the oil pump side but it finally poped out of the grooves in the side of the pan.

Got to checking out Les Andrews repair manual and he makes no mention as being able to remove it. Looks like it will just pop back in place.

Am I wrong in assuming this is a removable piece? or did I screw up some tollerances? I wanted to make sure I got all of the pieces on the oil pump spring that was broken up.

Thanks
YES...It is a removable peice. And NO...you did not screw anything up. It is part number A-6688: Oil Pan Tray.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:38 AM   #3
Milton

Depending on how much it got bent, just hammer it straight, and it will snap back in and be just as tough to remove again.
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
DBF 30

Thanks for the info. I just bent the lip a little bit while convincing it to pop out. It should staighten out easily.
DBF 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:39 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

I like to drop the pqn upside down onto the grass to make the dip tray pop out. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 drops. Never any damage.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
steamgas

tom
i have alot of respect for the input you give us about things cornserning model a part's and etc.however this is one i have never herd before.i have removed severial oilpan trays before and they are really tough too get out.can you explain in detail what happens with this process?
steamgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
Clem Clement

I use a 2 foot long Screw driver. The pan pops rightout. Leverage works.
Clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #8
Walt Dupont--Me.

I just take a big pinch bar or a big long screw driver and stick down the oil pump hole and give it wack and it will pop right out. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
kenparker

I, like Tom, drop them on the grass or bare ground and the dip tray "pops" out. It sometimes takes several tries. I have been known to use the concrete but the chance of bending the lip of the pan increases. Oh, be sure to drain out the oil first and use a place that the EPA wont see, cause the sludge can make a mess.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamgas View Post
tom
i have alot of respect for the input you give us about things cornserning model a part's and etc.however this is one i have never herd before.i have removed severial oilpan trays before and they are really tough too get out.can you explain in detail what happens with this process?
I give the pan a little push on the way down to the grass and the dipper tray will pop out. Try it next time
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #11
wrndln

Use a baseball bat. Stick it in the oil pump hole and brace the pan with something (your legs or wall) and push the bat so it puts pressure on the tray. It works great and won't damage the pan or tray. Dave Gerold told me about this and I have done it a couple times and it works great.
His website is: http://www.durableperformance.net/services.html It shows how to do it.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #12
KGBnut

For a stubborn one, you can pop 'em out with a board and a big C-clamp.

Slip the bottom end of the C-clamp through the opening into the bottom of the pan and catch it under the dipper tray. Put a board across the top of the pan and hook the other end of the clamp on the board. As you crank on the clamp it will pull down on the board and up on the tray until it pops free.

I like this method because you can do it slowly and without the violence of prying or pounding. I've never bent a tray using this method.