Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
CWPASADENA

Thumbs up Front Engine Support Springs Vibration?

I just recently got the engine running for my '30 Tudor. It is a B Engine with Counterweighted Crank, Lightened Flywheel and a V-8 Clutch. I wanted a nice engine to go touring with and wanted it to be reasonably smooth. Jay, at Taylor Engines, did the engine about 8 years ago and I did the flywheel and clutch and had these components balanced.

Upon starting and doing the initial run-in, I was very pleased EXCEPT it seemed there was one harmonic at a certain speed where there was a "Drumming" sound. It did not sound like internal engine noise but more like a splash pan was acting like a drum.

I removed the splash pans and no difference. Took off the fan belt and no difference. I then loosened the two front motor support bolts about one turn and there was a difference. Upon closer inspection, I found the two engine support springs were coil bound and things would not move.

A search of the "Barn" bought up several discussions about the correct springs and where to look in the Service Bulletins about this very thing. Also was discussed was the fact that some (most) repo springs are not correct at all.

I found the original springs and they looked a little tired but this morning, I changed them.

Now, all is well, NO NOISE and I believe the Engine seems to be smoother. Very Pleased as this is what I was hoping for.

Now, to try to get some correct springs, the ones I have are not too good but way better then the repo's I had.

Thanks to all who previously posted about this very problem,

Chris
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
jerry shook

Default Re: Front Engine Support Springs Vibration?

I had a vib problem so i went to the local parts store and found some springs made by hail. they are exhaust springs they look like the original ones bigger on the bottom . they were perfect no more vib. GOD BLESS
jerry shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:47 PM   #3
CWPASADENA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry shook View Post
I had a vib problem so i went to the local parts store and found some springs made by hail. they are exhaust springs they look like the original ones bigger on the bottom . they were perfect no more vib. GOD BLESS
Thanks, I will look into that,

Chris
Old 02-21-2011, 12:38 AM   #4
newshirt

Chris, I replaced my front motor mounts two days ago. It made a huge improvement in vibration. Got mine from Berts in Denver. They are the correct size mentioned in the article below.

http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/mount.htm
Old 02-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #5
CWPASADENA

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshirt View Post
Chris, I replaced my front motor mounts two days ago. It made a huge improvement in vibration. Got mine from Berts in Denver. They are the correct size mentioned in the article below.

http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/mount.htm
I have a small list of stuff I need to get from Bert's so I will add them to the list. I did not want to order them unless I knew they were correct.

Thanks, Chris