Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2016, 02:09 AM   #1
DBF 30

Default Correct engine fan location

This is a simple question and I have done a lot of searching and have yet to get the answer on line or by searching the barn.

I have a 40 Convertible. It came with a fan mounted on the top of the engine. It is on the front of a big bulky generator with a bracket that does not look like it is correct for the car. It looks similar to a picture of a truck engine generator/fan combo except the bracket is not correct. None of the pictures of cars show a fan in that location.

My question is what is correct fan location for the 24 head bolt 85 hp engine in the 40 deluxe convertible. Is it the mid location with a double belt pulley on the crankshaft or is it supposed to be mounted on the crank pulley flange.

There is a fan that came with the car in a pile of parts that has a forked bracket in back so I assume this is the mid fan location. Does it bolt on overlapping the correct generator bracket?

Seems like this info would be easy to find, but no luck so far. I obviously need to get some good books on the 40. What does everybody think are the best go to books to get ?

Thanks
DBF 30
DBF 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:49 AM   #2
koates

Default Re: Correct engine fan location

Website, The Early Ford V8 Club Of America. Online store, Book, The 1940 Ford. $29.95 plus post. Has what you need. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:43 AM   #3
Mac VP

The correct fan for the 40 Ford passenger car is bolted with four bolts to a mounting flange on the front of the crankshaft pulley. I'm sure some owners could place a picture or two on the Fordbarn for you.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:00 AM   #4
big job

Mac is correct its crank mounted. I have one if need be. My fogged up brain tells me
1941 also, don't remember. sam
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:21 AM   #5
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBF 30 View Post
This is a simple question and I have done a lot of searching and have yet to get the answer on line or by searching the barn.

I have a 40 Convertible. It came with a fan mounted on the top of the engine. It is on the front of a big bulky generator with a bracket that does not look like it is correct for the car. It looks similar to a picture of a truck engine generator/fan combo except the bracket is not correct. None of the pictures of cars show a fan in that location.

My question is what is correct fan location for the 24 head bolt 85 hp engine in the 40 deluxe convertible. Is it the mid location with a double belt pulley on the crankshaft or is it supposed to be mounted on the crank pulley flange.

There is a fan that came with the car in a pile of parts that has a forked bracket in back so I assume this is the mid fan location. Does it bolt on overlapping the correct generator bracket?

Seems like this info would be easy to find, but no luck so far. I obviously need to get some good books on the 40. What does everybody think are the best go to books to get ?

Thanks
DBF 30
Here's a photo that I hope will help. It is of a correct engine with all the correct pieces, colors, etc.

It is very possible you have a later engine in your '40. Most likely '42 - '48.

I am in the process of writing an extremely well researched book that I am hoping (planning on) will address even the smallest details of a "correct" 1940 Ford.
In the meantime, if I can ever be of help with your project, just ask... I'll do what I can.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine left aft.jpg (82.0 KB, 115 views)
Old 10-12-2016, 08:38 AM   #6
G.M.

In my opinion the crank mounted fan is to low on the radiator
and does not provide as good cooling as a center mounted fan.
As stated the correct location for a 39 deluxe and 40 is on the
crankshaft. As suggested you may have a 46 engine. I'm
surprised the fan isn't hitting the top hoses. G.M.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:51 PM   #7
DBF 30

Thanks for the info. Today I finally got the car cover off of my recently purchased 40 Convertible and started poking around. Bad back has side tracked me for the last 3 weeks. Here is what I found.

Frame number and transmission number match and indicate about a ¾ way through the 40 production year.

Engine is a 24 stud head engine with 59AB on the heads, front of block distributer, Engine crank pulley is a double with a hand crank nut. Both water pumps are double pulley and the top mount generator is double pulley and has a vertical flange sticking up above the generator and fan mounted to generator. Also saw a metal tag mounted to the block bell housing left side that says it is a Ford Reconditioned cylinder assembly and a has location for the motor number, but could not get close enough to read if anything is printer there.

After researching a 59AB online I am assuming what I have is a 46-48 year 239ci flat head v8. The only water pumps that I could find with a double pulley was a Truck engine which I guess also matches up with the generator mounted fan.

So what is the best way to keep and use this engine if rebuild able in my 40 convertible. Would I still go to the crank mounted fan? Or should I switch over to the mid mounted fan and used a standard 40 generator. Switch out water pumps to single pulley? pros and cons of different combos ?

Current engine hasn’t run in forty years and no radiator in the car. I am assuming that what I have is a ford factory long block rebuild and probably was in a truck at some time.

Thanks for the 40 Ford book recommendation. I will be ordering it tomorrow.

Kube – put me down as a buyer as soon as your book is finished. I look forward to reading it and thanks for the picture.

I am new to flathead V8s so any recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks
DBF 30
Old 10-13-2016, 07:56 AM   #8
G.M.

[QUOTE=DBF 30;1368681]Thanks for the info. Today I finally got the car cover off of my recently purchased 40 Convertible and started poking around. Bad back has side tracked me for the last 3 weeks. Here is what I found.

Frame number and transmission number match and indicate about a ¾ way through the 40 production year.

Engine is a 24 stud head engine with 59AB on the heads, front of block distributer, Engine crank pulley is a double with a hand crank nut. Both water pumps are double pulley and the top mount generator is double pulley and has a vertical flange sticking up above the generator and fan mounted to generator. Also saw a metal tag mounted to the block bell housing left side that says it is a Ford Reconditioned cylinder assembly and a has location for the motor number, but could not get close enough to read if anything is printer there.

After researching a 59AB online I am assuming what I have is a 46-48 year 239ci flat head v8. The only water pumps that I could find with a double pulley was a Truck engine which I guess also matches up with the generator mounted fan.

So what is the best way to keep and use this engine if rebuild able in my 40 convertible. Would I still go to the crank mounted fan? Or should I switch over to the mid mounted fan and used a standard 40 generator. Switch out water pumps to single pulley? pros and cons of different combos ?

Current engine hasn’t run in forty years and no radiator in the car. I am assuming that what I have is a ford factory long block rebuild and probably was in a truck at some time.

Thanks for the 40 Ford book recommendation. I will be ordering it tomorrow.

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri]Kube – put me down as a buyer as soon as your book is finished. I look forward to reading it and thanks for the picture.

I would leave everything like it is for now. Just because the engine sat for
40 years don't mean it's not in good shape. I have started plenty of old
Ford engines that sat at least 40 years and all turned out to run good.
Drain the oil and change it, Castrol 20/50 is good. Don't try to turn the
engine, first get an air operated parts cleaning gun and a quart of Marvel
Mystery oil. Remove the plugs and air cleaner and put the syphon tube on
the gun down in the MMO. Open carb plates all the way and spray a good
load of MMO down both sides. Spray a good load down in all of the spark plugs also remove oil filler cap an spray some down there. Let it sit 2 days
and see if the engine turns. If it turns turn it about two revalutions spray again and let it sit another day or two. Don't get in a rush, let the MMO
free the rings and valves. Since the radiator hoses were off you need to
flush the block out real good chances mice got in there is possible. Each
side of the block is a separate cooling system, try to put a hose on the bottom of the pump and force water through the block and out the top.
If you can flush the radiator from the bottom. After the engine turns put
a mechanical oil gauge on the left rear of the engine where to gauge
sender is, put loose rags over the spark plug holes and jump 12 volts
directly to the starter. The oil pressure you see will be very close to what
it will be driving the car. After cranking the engine you can take a compression test which will also tell how good it is. Take your time it
may save you a lot of time and money. G.M.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:00 PM   #9
DBF 30

Hi G.M.,

Your plans sounds like a good way to go. Yesterday when I was poking around my new project I did get two plugs out and sprayed PB blaster in the holes and also just sprayed down most of the nuts and bolts of the engine. Do to my current back issues, I was just checking how bad the plugs were going to be to get out and was surprised that the two I tried came out ok. I do like the look of the original 40 motor and think I will go back with just the generator on top, single pulley water pumps and the fan on the crank. However for now I will keep it as is and see what its conditions is.

I have gone through several Model A engines that have sat for many years and gotten them running but I do like your plan using the syphon gun and M. Mystery oil. Some recommend 50% transmission fluid and 50% acetone, I have not tried that combo yet. I am going to give the M. Mystery oil try out, it sounds promising. Thanks.
This 40 convertible is not on my front burner at the moment. I have a 30 Model A roadster just about ready to put back together first. So my plan for the 40 is to just do a little at a time and to map out a route to restore it. It will also give me time to do things like unstick the engine, collect parts that I will obviously need, ect..

I am excited to start playing with the 40. Even in its current state it is just a really neat car that just looks like it scooting down the road. Ford really got the design right on this car.

DBF 30