Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-05-2021, 06:11 PM   #1
STAN WHITE

Default Hegarty Insurance

After reading replies about Insurance. I decided to call Hegarty for a Quote. I told them that I had A 34 Ford three window coupe. Had it for 35 years & was working to get it on the road. Told them that I was only going to drive at the most about 499 miles per year, more them likely 300 miles. Also that I would be the only one that would drive it. I am pushing 83 years old. I told them that it an original car, with upgraded brakes (Lincoln) I also told them that it had a Flathead Engine 59AB That was upgraded to aproxmate 125 HP. I have a friend in Calif with 7 each thirties fords and he pays 1150.00 per year. Hegarty quoted me 580.00 per year, I figured it would be around 300.00 per year. I called my friend and he could not belive it. What do you guys think or know. Thanks Stan
STAN WHITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 06:32 PM   #2
VeryTangled

Default Re: Hegarty Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAN WHITE View Post
What do you guys think or know. Thanks Stan
Hi Stan, Just for the sake of the conversation, what agreed value did you give them?

I believe their premium may be more about the value than the miles you're planning on driving it.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 06:42 PM   #3
STAN WHITE

Jeff, I told her 50K thought that was on the low side due to the fact that it is an unmolested 3 Window, original paint Etc. Never was modified in any way have had it for 35 Yrs. Stan
Old 02-05-2021, 07:00 PM   #4
VeryTangled

Hi Stan, Agreed value insurers don't really care much about the details of the car, they just care about how much you want them to pay off on a total loss. $580 for $50,000 coverage sounds to me like it's in the right ballpark.

I had a policy from them for two cars at about 46K all in for both and my premium was in the $650 range. Since then I actually lowered my value because I estimated I could get a replacement at a lower value for my cars than a few years ago.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:02 PM   #5
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAN WHITE View Post
Jeff, I told her 50K thought that was on the low side due to the fact that it is an unmolested 3 Window, original paint Etc. Never was modified in any way have had it for 35 Yrs. Stan
And you consider a non original engine and brakes, unmolested or not modified ??
Old 02-05-2021, 07:09 PM   #6
Detonator

Rates per car come down significantly when you insure multiple cars with one company.
Old 02-05-2021, 07:15 PM   #7
STAN WHITE

51 Merc, Sorry to me unmoleted means that the car has not been chopped/ channeld /frame cut / holes drilled,Etc. I guess its a matter of opinion. Improving the brakes to me is an inprovement also a 59ab is a big advancment over a 34 engine with babbit bearings. You could be correct the changes I MADE MIGHT BE THE PROBLEM. tHANKS FOR YOUR IMPUT. sTAN
Old 02-05-2021, 07:30 PM   #8
AnthonyG

Haggerty quote for 4 vehicles @ 2000 miles per year @ agreed value of $30K each costing me $1200 per year!
Old 02-05-2021, 08:26 PM   #9
tubman

Hagerty quoted me $495 per year for 3 vehicles (a '67 Corvette, my '51, and an '84 Fiero) with a total value of $69K on February 1. Now when I go to look at my quote online, the web page errors out. Somethings not right here.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:02 PM   #10
cdan34

Stan, was that Al Mottas' car. If so, I worked with him in San Francisco and almost bought it prior to you.

Chuck
cdan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:51 PM   #11
STAN WHITE

Chuck, Yes I did buy Als 3 Wdw. I met Al in the late sixties @ a early ford V/8 Meeting in SanLeandro. He told me that he had an unmoleted 34 3Wdw. I told him that I had been looking for one since the late Fifties. He told me that if he decided to sell it he would give me a call. Twenty years later he called and I bought it. I have had it for thirty some years, I am close to eighty three so I decided to get it going. Have been working on it for about one year now. It takes me a lot longer to do what I could do Fifty Years ago. I am doing it like I remember the cars were done in the early Fifties when I was an early teenager.I am manitaining the original paint and whats left of the stripe. Not a total restoration as I want to maintain the original Patina!. Installed 39 Zepher Hydralic Brakes, With a 39 Trans and 3.54 rear gear. It was upholered when I
got it with a Mohair Labaron Bonney kit by a fellow named Kinser in the bay area. The upholstery is in good shape. I am using a 59AB Engine Modified With tube shocks and dropped axel. If you are interested I will send you some photos. Give me your E Mail Adress, Thanks. for the interest. Stan ! 775 265 5333
Old 02-06-2021, 08:23 AM   #12
1931 flamingo

I'm a little over 300$ (Hagarty) for 40K coverage on my 40, which in comparison to my Chrysler 300 and wife's CRV is a bargain. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:38 AM   #13
DavidG

Do some shopping and ask J.C. Taylor for quote with the same details of your intended use and valuation and you'll have a better idea of what the going rate is for insuring your car with your specifics.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:51 AM   #14
geoford41

I have heard from fellow car guys that Grundy is less expensive. That said, I had a small fire in my 1940 coupe years back and Haggerty treated me fairly, quickly and with no hassles. I am loyal to them for that reason and if its a little more no big deal. I also have the premium package that covers towing I believe up to 60 Miles So It is a good policy. My coupe is no $50K vehicle
geoford41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:05 AM   #15
Ford Freak

Get a quote from J C Taylor ..........
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 10:19 AM   #16
joe 1950

Stan if you have the road service package it adds a to the premium also I’ve Had hagerty For very long time and excellent service good luck
joe 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:35 PM   #17
Kruzn40

If you're a AAA member, check into their agreed value classic car coverage. I have two vehicles insured with them. The rates are very reasonable and, most importantly, the claim service is excellent.
Kruzn40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:52 PM   #18
Will D

If it makes you feel any better, the monopolized insurance Corp of BC costs me $1500 cdn(1100usd)per yr for my stock '38 fordor. Thats with no agreed value, strictly scrap price replacement! Needless to say I only insure for 6 months on the road....

Just found out Hagerty offers their services in Canada, online quote with $30k agreed value and 2000miles per yr is $220cdn a year. Will be looking further into it.
Will D is offline   Reply With Quote