Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-09-2020, 03:15 PM   #1
Steve_Mack_CT

Default Shock link installation

Guys how tight do you go when installing original type shock links? Had a great 15 or 20 mile shakedown run Sunday, after a front end rebuild. I did lose a shock link.. I suspect it seated ok, but was just too loose. Do you crank to a lot of resistance? Or do you think maybe it wasn't seated right? I thought I checked it but maybe I missed that side..

Any tricks here other than pack, position the little brass seats, slip on and tighten?

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2020, 07:43 AM   #2
Dave in MN

Default Re: Shock link installation

Steve,
I find the greatest cause is "out of round" balls on the shock arms. front spring perch and rear axle housing. I am assuming if you rebuilt the front end, you installed new brass ball seats.

When tightening the link plug on a worn system, I pull them up tight and then back off about a turn. With new ball seats and new/round balls, I set the link plug flush with the shock link housing or as required to get the cotter pin in place.

Even though my car has very good perch and shock arm balls, I lost one while on a Route 66 road trip. I think the cause were several severe pot holes we encountered at speed. Have only lost one I can recall in all my travels.
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:08 AM   #3
Steve_Mack_CT

Thanks Dave. I am thinking I did not seat them properly, balls are perfect on perch and shock arm. I did search the older posts on this today and will install the replacement very carefully. I have not had an issue before with other ones, so I have no choice but to blame the mechanic's (me) careless installation!! I did hit a pothole very close to home but no trace of my nice original link. Repro ordered. Oh well, keeping my dogbones in case I lose another and decide to go back to them...
Old 06-12-2020, 03:29 AM   #4
RB_Nielsen

Installing original shock links for me took some time and patience. I also lost a link, and realized there was a need to check things more closely. I soon found out the lower end of the link slipped easily on but the upper end was tricky. More than once I thought I had the link on both the lower and upper ball but a little testing after getting the plug screwed on the link came off. That’s when I decided to crawl up inside the fender so I could look down inside the link to check that the brass seat was for sure UNDER the upper ball and not pushed over to the SIDE. I agree with tightening the plug until it is even (square) with the top of the link. Following this process has (so far) kept the links from inadvertently falling off.

Last edited by RB_Nielsen; 06-12-2020 at 06:09 AM.
RB_Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote