Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2020, 09:45 AM   #1
Timstruck

Default Wide Five Spare Tire Holder

I have a spare tire holder that bolts to the running board of my ‘36 half ton but it’s not made for the wide five bolt spacing. It came with my project. Did Ford make an adapter to fit this wheel? I plan to just make the triangular bracket because it can’t be seen with the tire installed, but I was curious if anyone had seen these larger brackets. A pic would be nice.

Thx
Old 05-09-2020, 10:45 AM   #2
nelsb01

Default Re: Wide Five Spare Tire Holder

it also bolts into the side of the box. This is what you are looking for. This is only the rim mounting part.
The two small holes are for the cap bracket. The center hole is for the long bolt that goes into the box, and the lower hole is where it mounts to the vertical bracket the goes down into the running board.
A quick google search shows that there are some for sale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spare tire hanger ready for paint 1.jpg (21.0 KB, 23 views)
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:10 AM   #3
Timstruck

This is how mine looks. Are you saying that the larger triangular bracket also mounts to the lower bolt that goes into the box? Mine has been altered sometime in the last 80 plus years...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C339843A-9B5C-4733-A16D-C3E025484274.jpg (31.2 KB, 81 views)
Old 05-09-2020, 03:00 PM   #4
nelsb01

Nope. Sorry, you are correct -- the bolt that goes through to the box is correct as your picture shows.
Yours does look like it is not of original manufacture.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 03:05 PM   #5
raybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsb01 View Post
Nope. Sorry, you are correct -- the bolt that goes through to the box is correct as your picture shows.
Yours does look like it is not of original manufacture.
Looks like aftermarket to fit standard or wide 5 wheels. Ray
raybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 03:32 PM   #6
Timstruck

Thanks for all the input and the picture. Yes, mine would actually be for a 1935 with the smaller wheel bolt circle. The triangular mounting plate was altered sometime in the past but now I know what to look for/purchase. I could probably make a plate if I can’t find an original.
Old 05-09-2020, 05:17 PM   #7
alanwoodieman

knock the two lower studs out and put them back into the lower two holes-how close does this come to fitting the wide five?
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:45 PM   #8
Timstruck

Alan, it’s not even close.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:58 PM   #9
Tinker

Tim I'd just do what you are thinking. If you can't find an original. Fab it out of plate (add a longer bolt and additional spacer of the bed bolt for 2 points to plate.

38-39s brackets bolt up the same way with one through the bed. On 38 it does have two plate mounting points. One over the bed point and one at the bed to plate. You most likely have earlier truck spare tire hardware.

In 36-39 there is a hoop and a locking cap for wide five. You don't have to have it. But just so you know.

Nice book to "pickup" for these early ford trucks. 1932-1952 Ford trucks, Mack Hils. Not heavy on specifics but good for reference to outer details.

1936 trucks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4775.jpg (39.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4776.jpg (27.1 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Tinker; 05-09-2020 at 10:19 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:37 AM   #10
oldandtired

The rod part of yours is for a 35 pickup or panel. The correct 36 bar like piece also fits a 37 and does not have that bend at the top. The correct 36/7 bar has an "eye" in the middle and an "eye" at top, unlike the 35 which has the bend on top with the threaded piece on the end. The 36 and 37 rod and spare tire carrier are fairly plentiful, especially compared to the 35 bar which was a one year part for the 35-37 series of commercial vehicles. The spare mounting flange for the wide 5 is pretty much the same for 36-39 making them relatively common. The 38/9 bar is not the same as 35 or 36/7, having 2 "eyes" in the middle and not one like the 36/7.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:44 AM   #11
Timstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandtired View Post
The rod part of yours is for a 35 pickup or panel. The correct 36 bar like piece also fits a 37 and does not have that bend at the top. The correct 36/7 bar has an "eye" in the middle and an "eye" at top, unlike the 35 which has the bend on top with the threaded piece on the end. The 36 and 37 rod and spare tire carrier are fairly plentiful, especially compared to the 35 bar which was a one year part for the 35-37 series of commercial vehicles. The spare mounting flange for the wide 5 is pretty much the same for 36-39 making them relatively common. The 38/9 bar is not the same as 35 or 36/7, having 2 "eyes" in the middle and not one like the 36/7.
Thanks, I will adjust my online search. This ‘35 part fit my ‘36 with no issues. It mounted in to the factory holes. I also did a mock up fit of a spare tire with the existing plate and the tire fits perfectly in the lower depression and cab location, etc. That being said, it would be nice to have the correct one installed. A couple posts above have said parts are available but I’m finding nothing in my searching.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:31 AM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

Talking Re: Wide Five Spare Tire Holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timstruck View Post
I have a spare tire holder that bolts to the running board of my ‘36 half ton but it’s not made for the wide five bolt spacing. It came with my project. Did Ford make an adapter to fit this wheel? I plan to just make the triangular bracket because it can’t be seen with the tire installed, but I was curious if anyone had seen these larger brackets. A pic would be nice.

Thx
Tim, I recently purchased all the parts and pieces that were removed from a '36 1/2t pu truck, that's being hot rodded and customized, with the intention of reselling the parts that I can't use or don't need. Amoung these parts is a spare tire carrier with the wide five lug pattern. I'm thinking this is probably for a '36-'37 as some of the guys have mentioned. If you are interested in seeing this, send me a PM with your email address included, and I'll send pictures.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:18 AM   #13
oldandtired

Timstruck….The 35-37's used the same running boards with the 35/6 additionally using the same bed and pretty much the same frame. The different spare mounting rods for the 35 and the 36/7 will mount up with no problem; the issue is the spare mounting flange. If you decide to use a factory locking spare on the wide five 36, the 35 and 36/7 locking spare setups will not interchange either.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:49 AM   #14
Timstruck

I’m not familiar with the locking setup...didn’t know there was such a thing for the trucks.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:50 AM   #15
Timstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
send me a PM
Sent.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:13 AM   #16
rottenron36

If you don't find one, I have the 36 bracket as pictured. I will be using wire wheels on my 36, so i fabbed one to fit. Let me know, I'm sure we can make a deal. Ron
rottenron36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:36 AM   #17
Timstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenron36 View Post
If you don't find one, I have the 36 bracket as pictured. I will be using wire wheels on my 36, so i fabbed one to fit. Let me know, I'm sure we can make a deal. Ron
Ron sent you a pm.