Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
Ed in Maine

Default Wilshire Blvd.

When I saw this video it reminded me of the 1978 Model A Ford Meet in Dearborn, MI (50th Anniversary of the Model A). There were times when the street outside of the host hotel looked just like Wilshire Blvd. Every car in sight was a Model A with a horn going every now and then. If I remember correctly, there were over 500 Model As at that meet. I got up early one morning and took my 30 Town Sedan over to the entrance of Ford Museum at Greenfield Village. I almost got hit by a Model A because I stood out in the street too long taking a picture of the car and the museum sign.

The big event for me was when Ford closed the plant in Dearborn for all the Model As to drive down into the basement, through the plant and out the other side. All the employees cheered for us as we drove through. My car was within feet of where it was created. I still get wobbly knees thinking about it. It was a wonderful event. Also happening during this event was the demolition of the foundry where our blocks were cast. A new plant was going to be constructed. There was also a tour of the sheet metal production plant.

At that time I was living in Iowa and I drove that Town Sedan with a new motor with only 500 miles before I set out. It ran perfectly, I didn't even have to touch the points. If you ever get the opportunity to take in a national meet, don't miss the chance. Maybe you too will experience Wilshire Blvd. Has anyone else had the same experience? Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
spike

Default Re: Wilshire Blvd.

I was at that meet for the 50th. Showed my 31 coupe for the first time and the first car I had ever restored. Didnt do so good but had a lot of fun and good times. It was a great meet for sure.
spike is offline   Reply With Quote