Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-18-2023, 07:07 PM   #1
Geokop

Default T a Good "Starter" Car?

Hello Everyone, new member here.
I'm enjoying reading all of the Model T-related posts!
I don't own a Model T, or any antique car for that matter, YET. A Model T is on my "antique car buy" short list due to its historical significance, novelty, and simplicity, and at 63, I'm long past the "need for speed", LOL.

I don't own a machine shop with sophisticated tools. For what little it's worth, I used to tear down to a bare frame and rebuild bicycles (repack bearings, etc.) when I was younger, and am still not afraid to get dirty.

A question is, is a sound Model T maintainable, while referring to proper manuals and maybe some YouTube videos, by a non-professional mechanic using only basic hand tools (although a few special "T" tools might be necessary along with a good floor jack)? Is the T a good, D.I.Y.-friendly first antique car, or are they too fussy for a rookie?

I've always liked the touring car body style, something 2-3 people can cruise around in with the top down on neighborhood back roads for a trip to the park or grocery store on a sunny afternoon.

Thanks for your input, even if that includes a warning or two!
--George K.

Last edited by Geokop; 09-19-2023 at 08:24 PM.
Geokop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 02:49 PM   #2
trulyvintage

Question Re: T a Good "Starter" Car?

George

Where are you located ?

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 08:17 PM   #3
Geokop

Default Re: T a Good "Starter" Car?

Hi Jim, I'm in N.E. Ohio, in the Youngstown area.
Before I waste yours or anyone else's time, I'm not in a position to buy just yet. I'm thinking in a couple of years...not too far down the line, but it's not too early to plan and to work out logistics.

Last edited by Geokop; 09-19-2023 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-19-2023, 09:23 PM   #4
A bones

That is just the way the T was cared for back then.
As long as the motor has good babbit and the trans is pretty much whole ( They Are always noisy in the 'slow' gear ). Along with a quiet running differential,,, You can find literature and help
( you've already received an offer of assistance from an Ace of knowledge by member "trulyvintage"
Three books I always advise are:
Ford Service manual ( available as a reprint or ebay )
Murray Fahnstock's book "The FordOwner"
" tinkerin' tips " by Ted Aschman
I can't stress enough the value af the knowledge.
Though Today's access to Fordbarn is a wonderful source as well
My books I have given to my Brother-in-law. Since he will soon take my avatar.
You also happen to live very close to an excellent parts supplier name Snyders
Should you need 'internals' ever fixed you are close to a reputable rebuilder as well.
As it happens I can't bring his name up to the top of my 'soupbowl'-brain. At this time.
Just so you understand the the speeds we run these at let one know that people wanna wave like you're an idol.

Last edited by A bones; 09-19-2023 at 09:36 PM.
A bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 12:17 AM   #5
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Not wasting time

George

You are not wasting anyone’s time.
I know Model T family members
in every state.

Give me a call and I will
share some contact information
of someone in your area enjoy you
can contact who will help out.

Jim
260-804-6695
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 07:12 AM   #6
mhsprecher

The Model T community is a great one, so it will be a great help. Join a local club and get to know the cars and the community.

As to a starter car, that is a different question. A Model A might be a better choice for a starter car. Both A’s and T’s are pretty basic, easy to fix and get parts for. An A is better for driving in modern traffic. I am sure others will chime in on that question.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 12:54 PM   #7
Kurt in NJ

I have had a model A for over 50 years, easy adapting to driving it, “normal “ clutch operation, pedal layout.
The model T requires driver reprogramming, hand throttle, what you would consider the “clutch “ pedal is high gear with foot off the pedal, neutral in the middle of the travel and low gear pushed all the way — keeping my finger tips on the throttle lever for me is what i found to switch my driver programming to model T.
The model A has reasonably effective brakes, the model T has a brake pedal but you want to plan your braking by backing off the throttle letting the engine do most of the braking.
The model T remote starter works pretty good when the magneto is operating properly ( hand crank)
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 05:14 PM   #8
ronn

A Model A might be a better choice for a starter car.

I would agree with that statement. The A offers more flexibility all the way around.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 10:17 PM   #9
Geokop

Thanks, Guys. I appreciate the comments.

I was considering a T because it seems so simple and maintainable with basic tools, that I could disassemble (almost) the whole thing with wrenches and screwdrivers. Just an overgrown bicycle...
The complete foreignness with driving and "primitive" design are part of a T's "wow" factor, because it's so different, IMHO.

But I'll adjust my mindset and be open to an "A". As long as it isn't too much like a modern car!

Another vehicle that's on my "short list" is a 1964 Corvair Monza, the first car I remember my parents having. But that one isn't nearly as DIY friendly!
Old 09-20-2023, 11:52 PM   #10
Kurt in NJ

I have had my T up to 43 mph, then settled back to a comfortable 35, I have driven the model a comfortably all day at 65 on the turnpike.
Yes, the A is in many ways a “modern car”, the ignition system is “normal”, drivetrain conventional, yet still primitive — no synchronizer in transmission, a 4 wheel braking system that is mechanical.
The T has its own ignition system that is not normal or conventional compared to modern car,
Try going to car shows, or look for local clubs, perhaps take a ride in each
Old 09-21-2023, 04:04 PM   #11
Geokop

Thanks, Kurt, and to all.
I totally get it that an A is more versatile, that more can be done with it as far as driving / traveling goes; it's more of a true road car than is a T.
I hadn't considered touring with a club or anything like that, was just looking for a sunny day "toy" to chug around town in. It's the T's "uniqueness" in that it's mechanics is so removed from today's cars that makes it appealing. I love history, and a T can be a window into the automobile's primitive past, and with its simplicity may come a car that I could well-maintain with my skill level and tools.
But as has been suggested, maybe I'd be losing out on some serious fun and driveability by not going with an A. And maybe an A wouldn't be as complex to maintain for a novice as it seems to be. There's just more mechanically and structurally going on with an A....
I'll have enough time to check out area clubs between now and if/when I'm ready to buy. Thanks again!

Last edited by Geokop; 09-21-2023 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-22-2023, 04:09 AM   #12
ronn

I like all of your choices. My brother and I have mused over the years about the corvairs. The one car that never went up in value..........

true car guys can have a lot of fun with a corvair on a very small budget. Ist that what "motoring" is all about?
Old 09-22-2023, 02:29 PM   #13
Geokop

Hi ronn, My dad loved his Corvair. Prior to the blue '64, he had a (white) 1960 model; I don't remember that one, but there are pictures of me with it. With the engine weight onto the rear, that car never got stuck in the snow and it drove just fine. One had to learn the car's handling characteristics is all. Dad kept the '64 until he upgraded to a Buick Le Sabre 400 in 1969. And yes, a nice Corvair might be a bit more affordable than a really nice T, except for maybe a Monza Spyder convertible. And it would have to be a pre-'65 model. I never cared for their second generation style-wise.

But a Corvair isn't something I could work on in my garage or driveway. The T's simplicity is one big thing going for it, and it's so far removed from today's technology that it's an attention-grabber.

Last edited by Geokop; 09-22-2023 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-22-2023, 03:06 PM   #14
rotorwrench

The Ts are a lot of fun for around the slower traffic areas around town or out in open country. They don't fit well into the fast paced part of the modern world. They started out in a horse less carriage time and evolved very little by 1925. The 1926/27 models started to look more modern but the chassis & running gear was still the same basic equipment. There are a lot of reproduction parts available. They take a few specialized tools depending on how much a person wants to do mechanically.

As folks previously mentioned, they take a learning curve to operate them. When you get one going well enough to master the free start, it will amaze folks that know little about them. The trembler type coils utilized in the ignition system will do things that modern automobiles won't. It's a trick where person can adjust a cylinder to be in firing position to where the cylinder will fire when the switch is turned on battery position. If all is in good order the engine will start and idle without using the starter or the hand crank except to bring a cylinder up to TDC.

Like I mentioned, they can be a lot of fun but they have to be properly maintained as well. Changing a tire without removing the wheel would be something the model T owner should learn to do.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 05:17 PM   #15
Geokop

Hi rotorwrench, I've been watching YouTube videos on how to start and drive a T, and in one of them, the "free start" was shown. The owner said that's a sign of a well-tuned car. I think keeping the contacts of the trembler type coils clean would be a frequent job.

I've restored a vintage (1940s-era) Eaglelux model 43E 4-way traffic signal down to the last washer and even learned how to strip down and resilver its glass reflectors. I also completely rebuilt and restored an early 1950s Eagle Corp. EM-15 electromechanical signal controller, and there was a lot of general cleaning, contact cleaning, polishing, lubricating, and rewiring to do with that. I'm currently restoring a 40s-era Crouse-Hinds Corp. 4-way signal. I like the detail work, but it can be mind-numbing sometimes.
Good luck (no sarcasm) to all who are still learning how to handle a T. Soon, you'll all be making a complicated job look easy.

One good thing about these "primitive" cars I'd imagine is few people can hop in and steal one, and it would be awfully conspicuous to tow or haul one away in an enclosed carrier. Has anyone here had a T or similar car stolen from a store parking lot? Just wondering...

Last edited by Geokop; 09-22-2023 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-23-2023, 05:13 PM   #16
mhsprecher

Antique cars get stolen occasionally. Last one I heard of was a Model A that ended up in a pond a few years ago. More often, a truck and trailer combo gets stolen for either the truck or the trailer, but not what is in it.

Only a T owner could steal a T. 99% of the people couldn't start a Model A, especially if you had a fuse on the starter and took it out when parked. Even then, very few could start or drive one. I never give a minute's thought to someone stealing one of my antique cars.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 10:05 PM   #17
Geokop

mhsprecher, Thanks for the insight. I'd think it would take someone in a serious theft ring to target a T. That aside, I'd be more afraid of someone accidentally or deliberately vandalizing it out of spite than of it being stolen.
Old 09-24-2023, 08:17 AM   #18
ronn

But a Corvair isn't something I could work on in my garage or driveway. The T's simplicity is one big thing going for it, and it's so far removed from today's technology that it's an attention-grabber.
funny, when I was about 15 yrs old, went to a friends house and we removed the motor in less then an hour- only 4 bolts I think?
he ran the qtr in 10.5, which was pretty fast for a 6 cylinder and no, it wasnt a spider.
another buddy had a spider. even they are inexpensive today. sort of crazy!

makes me want to sell all of my cars and just own a corvair! LOL
sure would save a lot of mulla
Old 09-24-2023, 01:07 PM   #19
Kurt in NJ

Do corvairs leak more or less oil than a model t?
Old 09-24-2023, 03:14 PM   #20
Geokop

Kurt, probably less, unless the valve guide seals are bad. That's a known issue with them. Or from a leaky oil pan gasket. Anyway, as interesting as a Corvair air-cooled engine / drive train is it's not something I could see myself tinkering with. The whole car is just so much more complicated. But granted, they're a lot of fun.