Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2023, 09:22 PM   #1
Model A Ron

Default American Classic Radial Tires

I just mounted a set of American Classic Radials on my 29 Phaeton and hope to take a test drive this week after I finish up a little more work on the car. I hope to find a much improved ride over the bias firestones. Does anyone know how many miles to expect from the radials? I would think much more than bias tires.

Last edited by Model A Ron; 04-10-2023 at 09:34 PM.
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 05:29 AM   #2
Rob Doe

Default Re: American Classic Radial Tires

I just mounted 4 new radials. They provide a much better than the worn out tires that were replaced. I put the balance beads them too. I used Bratton's tubes. So far so good.
Old 04-10-2023, 03:55 PM   #3
Dean Lemoine

9,600 miles on these American Classics on a ‘29 Tudor. I was running 38 PSI but noticed the centers are wearing more than the outsides. Dropped down to 35 PSI and will monitor wear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BC98F57F-FCC8-4721-9A28-4EED146B2F03.jpg (23.6 KB, 81 views)
Dean Lemoine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 04:23 PM   #4
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Lemoine View Post
9,600 miles on these American Classics on a ‘29 Tudor. I was running 38 PSI but noticed the centers are wearing more than the outsides. Dropped down to 35 PSI and will monitor wear.
Good info Dean, Thanks for the feedback.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 05:47 AM   #5
Model A Ron

Well I got my A running a little better with a timing adjustment and setting the points so I decided to test the new tires. Over the weekend I drove about 100 miles with them set to 40psi and I noticed they tracked much better than the old bias tires. One road around hear had me shifting left right all the time and this was no longer a problem with the radials. The ride was about the same in terms of softness and when I felt the sidewall after driving they were just a bit warm and not hot. Next I will drop to the recommended 35psi and see if they are any warmer and if the ride improves in terms of softness. Overall I am very happy with the tires but need to accept the radial bulge not seen on the bias tires.
Old 04-25-2023, 05:23 AM   #6
Model A Ron

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I dropped down to 35psi and the ride improved a lot. Someone said the sidewall was hot at 35 but I did not find this to be the case. What I did fine is a tire that does not track in the ruts and a soft ride that is a big step up from bias tires.
Old 04-25-2023, 05:27 AM   #7
Model A Ron

Quote:
Dean
Based off the first 9600 miles how many miles do you think you will get out of the set? Do you see the need to rotate them at this time?
Old 04-25-2023, 05:33 AM   #8
Model A Ron

This is what they look like on my car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radial.jpg (135.7 KB, 80 views)
Old 04-25-2023, 06:33 AM   #9
Dean Lemoine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post
Dean
Based off the first 9600 miles how many miles do you think you will get out of the set? Do you see the need to rotate them at this time?
I rotated them about 4000 miles back. I’m hoping to get 20K miles out of ‘em, but that’s just a guess. I’m wondering how this is comparing to anyone else running the American Classics. I really don’t know how long these have been on the market.
Dean Lemoine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 07:56 PM   #10
Model A Ron

Quote:
I rotated them about 4000 miles back. I’m hoping to get 20K miles out of ‘em, but that’s just a guess. I’m wondering how this is comparing to anyone else running the American Classics. I really don’t know how long these have been on the market.
I think they came out on 2020 or so but I was hoping we would get more than 20k. If anyone has them please chime in with millage and tire condition.
Old 05-06-2023, 09:18 PM   #11
Drancher

Has anyone used these tires on the stock 19" rims running tubeless? I am running 35 16" with modern radials for six years and have had zero problems. I have a set of 19" stock wheels and have ordered the American classic 475/500R -19 tires and would like to run them tubeless and am wondering if anyone else has done this.
Drancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 09:14 AM   #12
goldie

I recently purchased the American Classic radial tires and set pressures to 35, the max for this tire. Why do people add more pressure than the manufacturer states I don't understand. I have a British performance car that requires a tube because the rims are not the safety type with the additional lip. I have been running these without tubes for years with no problem, but. The but is in the event of a flat the tire is more prone to separate from the rim. On the As tiny tires I would not take the chance of going tubeless.
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 10:20 AM   #13
katy

To check inflation pressure against how "the rubber meets the road" put a chalk mark, about 1/2" wide, across the face of the tire, drive in a straight line for about a half a block and look at the chalk mark. If it's all worn off, the inflation is good, if the middle is worn and the sides are still there the tire is overinflated. Easiest is start w/overinflation and work down.
Old 05-09-2023, 11:38 AM   #14
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

Can you use a stock tube with the radial tire or do you need to buy a radial tube?
Dick M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 12:01 PM   #15
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick M View Post
Can you use a stock tube with the radial tire or do you need to buy a radial tube?
I have never understood the "radial tire tube". I am runnning bias ply looking 6.00 x 16 tires on a couple of V8 Fords. I put a new tube in them and have been happily motoring for years.

Someone explain to me what a radial innertube is in comparison to an innertube. I have also never been able to find specifically "radial innertube".
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 02:08 PM   #16
Y-Blockhead

I have some tubes that have "Radial" molding into the stem but on the side of the tube it says "Not for use in radial tires". Go figure...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0330.jpg (33.0 KB, 144 views)
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote