Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-14-2022, 02:38 AM   #1
Grumpy Rick

Default '55 T-Bird steering wheel change?

I have a '55 T-Bird with the standard steering wheel. I would like to put a Grant, or the like on it, in a smaller diameter. The car has PS so no problem with steering being hard, but there is a problem with the juxtaposition of the original big wheel and my original big belly.

I have an aftermarket wheel on my '56 Vic. and it is about right, but when I look on E-Bay they seem to have the Bird listed with a different adaptor.

I guess I am asking if passenger car and Bird wheels are interchangeable, or do they really have different splines??
Grumpy Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 09:20 AM   #2
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: '55 T-Bird steering wheel change?

Have You Seen This -

https://www.classictbird.com/pdf/3600SM-Install.pdf
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:45 AM   #3
miker98038

Default Re: '55 T-Bird steering wheel change?

I can’t answer the spline question, but I’ve had several different wheels on 55 birds. One was a Grant and it fit fine. Could be the splines are the same but the cover to the column is different, or some minor change. That would change the number. Also watch the “dish” depth, a deep one might move it out beyond what the adjustment can make up for.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:52 AM   #4
55blacktie

The aftermarket steering wheel for 56-57 Tbirds won't fit a 55. As you can see in the Casco attachment, the 56-57 wheel is deeper than the 55 wheel, which is flat. The 56-57 steering column is shorter to accommodate the deeper wheel. It's my understanding that the 56-57 steering wheel is collapsible, which is a safety feature that the 55 doesn't have.

I've made numerous inquiries for a bolt-on aftermarket steering wheel for the 55 w/o success.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:55 AM   #5
55blacktie

Miker98038, hopefully you will share info. for the "several different wheels on 55 birds." Which adapter did you use, and what modifications did you have to make, if any, for the horn and turn signals?
Old 02-14-2022, 01:37 PM   #6
miker98038

I don’t know I can be of much help. The Grant wheels, which all use the same 3 hole adaptor. I used a shallow dish, but that was in the late 60’s when I was 5’11” and weighted 130lbs. So clearance wasn’t a problem. More recently I used one of these Lecarra’s on the stock column, but that was 20 years ago. Currently showing “out of stock”. But IF they still show the tbird adaptor they may have another wheel you like. I modified mine by cutting down the horn ring to a lower part only and polishing it out. Close as I could get to an original style wheel. Con2R also shows some appropriate wheels, but I never tried them for adaptors. They also don’t show a 2 spoke as available right now.

Grant isn’t so bad, the others are pretty pricey now.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Lecar...SABEgKxMvD_BwE

https://con2r.com/ywyw/?ppc_keyword=...SAAEgKj4vD_BwE
Old 02-14-2022, 09:39 PM   #7
Grumpy Rick

I definitely need a flat wheel, as the height adjustment doesn't work on the Bird. I could possibly use the wheel and adaptor (?) from the '56 Vickie, but I like the wheel as is is on it, and I was hoping to find a wood wheel with the brass rivets for the '55 Bird.

So...does anyone know if the spline on the '55 T-Bird is the same as regular '55 Fords, or '56 up's?
Old 02-14-2022, 09:44 PM   #8
Grumpy Rick

Sorry, tried a pic..failed again.
Old 02-15-2022, 01:14 AM   #9
miker98038

Here’s a Grant hub listed for the 55 bird

https://www.andysautosport.com/shopb...underbird.html

Finding flat wood wheel might be more of a problem. Grant has some flat ones, but they’re direct Corvette replacements. But it would probably be worth a phone call or a little
searching. I’ll bet there’s one out there.

It’s possible to fix the telescope function, it’s not unusual for them to stick. I think there was a thread on that not too long ago.
Old 02-15-2022, 04:17 AM   #10
Grumpy Rick

Thanks Andy,

I am going to order one of those adapters tomorrow. I spent some time looking at that site, and it lists the same adapter for Grant wheels (4291) for 55-57 Thunderbirds, but does not list any adapter for 55 or 56 sedans. Maybe you don't need one for a sedan?
Old 02-15-2022, 09:06 AM   #11
38 Conv

GREAT info-- do you know of a smaller wheel on a 1953 Ford F-100-- Thanks
38 Conv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 10:38 AM   #12
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Rick View Post
Thanks Andy,
I am going to order one of those adapters tomorrow. I spent some time looking at that site, and it lists the same adapter for Grant wheels (4291) for 55-57 Thunderbirds, but does not list any adapter for 55 or 56 sedans. Maybe you don't need one for a sedan?
I suspect (but don't know for sure) the splines at the top of the steering column for the '55/'57 Thunderbird steering wheels are the same configuration as in the 'full-sized' cars and would use the same adapter.
FYI, on the oem steering column shafts there is usually one slightly wider spline so the original steering wheel installs in one 'straight ahead' position. The aftermarket steering wheel adapters may or may not have this feature.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 12:54 PM   #13
55blacktie

I would fix your steering column before replacing the steering wheel. The telescopic columns have been known to separate. It is mentioned in the CTCI Thunderbird Specifications and Details Manual. Pin the hub with three 1/8 x 1/2 set pins, being careful not to drill into the bearing location. The manual also tells you how to remove/install, disassemble/assemble the column. It includes photos. If you can adjust the column, you might find that a smaller wheel isn't necessary.
Old 02-15-2022, 01:40 PM   #14
55blacktie

Rick, does your Tbird have a soft top? If so, removing the swing bar from the top will allow the seat to move farther back. Of course, raising/lowering the top will be less convenient, requiring a helper.

Another thing to consider, adding an adapter will move the steering wheel that much closer to the driver.
Old 02-16-2022, 03:22 AM   #15
Grumpy Rick

No soft top, but that highlights another problem I have with the car. The power seat quit working. I really wouldn't mind if it were in the far back position, but it is stuck a couple inches forward.

I have had the car stored at a friends shop for almost two years, and haven't been able to work on it, and my house at the same time. Time to bring it home is almost here, and I am getting ready for when it comes home.

Getting old, and have too many old cars. Gave a Model T to my daughter, and a Model A to my son it Texas, sold my pickup to my grandson. My brother gave me a C5 Vette a couple years ago, and I returned it recently, so he could give it to his daughter. Then he turned around and gave me an '05 T-Bird. Lots of horse trading in our family.

That still leaves me with 4 hobby cars, plus regular drivers. I am on a mission to have them all running at the same time, and modernize the fleet a bit.

When the '55 Bird comes home it runs fine, but it is an old car and there is always some work needed on any old car I have owned. It will be nice to have first and last Bird bookends for a while. If I read the data plate correctly, it looks like it is #221 made.

PS: Looks like I should add fixing the steering column to the list.