Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2015, 08:06 AM   #1
Redbird

Default What kind of oil do you use?

I am purchasing my first Model A (31) and the previous owner said he uses Mobil-1. Is that okay? Do we need oil with high zinc?
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:31 AM   #2
Big hammer

Default Re: What kind of oil do you use?

Yes and No
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:33 AM   #3
newshirt

The Mobile 1 should work just fine. High zinc is not necessary. I use the cheapest Quaker State I can buy at Wal-Mart. $14.50. And change it every 500 miles. Any modern oil is ten times better than those used in the 1930's.

Welcome to Fordbarn!
Old 02-10-2015, 08:38 AM   #4
Terry, NJ

Mobil 1 is fine! So's whatever is on sale down at Walmarts. These old engines are pretty low tech and don't require sophisticated oils. Always remember that the best oils of 1930 were not as good as the worst oils of today. The Mobil 1 is a little bit of overkill IMHO. Shell "Rotella" 10/15 w 30/40 HD will work fine. There are some who believe that Non Detergent oils are best. I disagree! I've cleaned the the sludge off a oil screen with an only about 20% opening. So how much oil was the oil pump passing? Btw, that engine had bad mains! Hmmm any connection, ya think?
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:42 AM   #5
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

It depends, does the car have whitewalls ( lol ) ? If you search this subject you will find hours and hours of reading. As was said previously anything is better than wht wax used when Henry built your car ! By the way welcome to the Barn ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:58 AM   #6
Big hammer

Please forgive me for not welcoming you to the Barn WECOME !!!
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:30 AM   #7
Skibb

Redbird, welcome! and congrats too on finding a Model A that had an owner who was interested in maintenance. You unknowingly have brought up the favorite subject for discussion here by many purists and "experts" in the automotive arts. Actually, the answer comes from W. C. Fields: "I'd rather be in Philadelphis" or as C26 said "does it have white walls?" All meaning it don't matter. If you use a detergent oil IMO with 500 mile changes your car will run like a top even when your Gandkids are the owners. It has been said here that Mobil1 could have a longer change interval like 1500 miles. Personally, my car gets the same as yours did. Enjoy the hobby and this is a great place to learn about A's.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:36 AM   #8
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibb View Post
Redbird, welcome! and congrats too on finding a Model A that had an owner who was interested in maintenance. You unknowingly have brought up the favorite subject for discussion here by many purists and "experts" in the automotive arts. Actually, the answer comes from W. C. Fields: "I'd rather be in Philadelphis" or as C26 said "does it have white walls?" All meaning it don't matter. If you use a detergent oil IMO with 500 mile changes your car will run like a top even when your Gandkids are the owners. It has been said here that Mobil1 could have a longer change interval like 1500 miles. Personally, my car gets the same as yours did. Enjoy the hobby and this is a great place to learn about A's.
Amen, amen and amen again ! Well said my friend !
Wayne
Old 02-10-2015, 11:45 AM   #9
Bob Johnson

Here is a link to an oil survey.

LINK
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:38 PM   #10
Royce P

No way you can use Mobil 1 or any other oil for a longer period of time in a Model A. Nothing wrong with using Mobil One. I see no advantage to using Mobil 1 in a Model A over the Wal Mart house brand when you have to change it so often.
1917 Torpedo Runabout
Royce P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:17 PM   #11
Curt Campbell

I use Mobil 1 in every 4 cycle engine I own from 2015 van to my power washer. Stuff runs clean for years and years. No doubt going to run it in my Model A when it's done this spring. However...I am curious about the Walmart full synthetic...may be tempted to use that. You realize it is a name brand oil just put in a Walmart can at a cheaper price due to wall marts buying power. Not convinced it is any different than others. Have read things by oil analysts that says the same thing. Had an acquaintance once in Alabama who worked at the Coke bottling plant. He said several times a week they would switch bottling line to Sams Choice Cola (walmart) and fill those bottles with coke too. Then day or so later run coke cans and fill them with same stuff. Did it for several private brands. Sooooo...who knows what synthetic oil is in the Walmart container????
Curt Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:27 PM   #12
C26Pinelake
BANNED

My friend worked at Imperial Oil at their Lube Plant. He also said that they run Esso Extra / Mobil Oil off the assembly line and without changing anything but the containers it became Supertest and then one of the suppliers like Western Tire or Canadian Tire. So when asked what he used in his vehicles he stock statement was " whatever is on sale "! Wayne
Old 02-10-2015, 06:32 PM   #13
42merc

I live on the V8 side of the Barn & I notice that the "A" side likes nothing better than an "OIL" thread.
Well maybe a white wall thread.
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:36 PM   #14
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42merc View Post
I live on the V8 side of the Barn & I notice that the "A" side likes nothing better than an "OIL" thread.
Well maybe a white wall thread.
Throw in "Alternator" and maybe "hydraulic brakes" and you have 80% of this side of the Barn!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:54 PM   #15
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Campbell View Post
I use Mobil 1 in every 4 cycle engine I own from 2015 van to my power washer. Stuff runs clean for years and years. No doubt going to run it in my Model A when it's done this spring. However...I am curious about the Walmart full synthetic...may be tempted to use that. You realize it is a name brand oil just put in a Walmart can at a cheaper price due to wall marts buying power. Not convinced it is any different than others. Have read things by oil analysts that says the same thing. Had an acquaintance once in Alabama who worked at the Coke bottling plant. He said several times a week they would switch bottling line to Sams Choice Cola (walmart) and fill those bottles with coke too. Then day or so later run coke cans and fill them with same stuff. Did it for several private brands. Sooooo...who knows what synthetic oil is in the Walmart container????
Mobil 1 is the only full synthetic made at a chemical plant from ethylene. For cold weather it can't be beat. Other "synthetics" are still made from highly processed crude oil like they have been since the 1920s. Mobil lost a lawsuit about who could call their oil "synthetic" some years back. Whether the oil is Mobil 1 or not it still will get contaminants from the combustion process, a much more limiting affect than anything else. I for one use Mobil 1 in all my new cars. With a $30,000+ car what difference does $20 more per oil change amount to? I use the cheapest Mobil or Exxon oil I can find in the antiques. I am an XOM annuitant BTW.

One thing to consider is Mobil 1 is thinner oil than conventionals are. A 5w30 Mobil 1 is 5w oil with additives to make it 30w at high temperatures. A 5w30 conventional oil is 30 wt oil with additives to make is 5w at low temperatures. You might experience more leakage with Mobil 1 as a result.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:05 PM   #16
Mitch//pa
BANNED

figured i would wait a little bit before i post my what oil pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (37.3 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 02-10-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:28 PM   #17
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

I'll do it for you Mitch.

I have put a total of 76 miles on my Model A since I bought it and have changed the oil three times. When you have a friend like Mitch who sends you a coupon to get ten gals free when you buy one of Rotella, you can afford to use the best more often!!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:33 PM   #18
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post

I have put a total of 76 miles on my Model A since I bought it and have changed the oil three times. When you have a friend like Mitch who sends you a coupon to get ten gals free when you buy one of Rotella, you can afford to use the best more often!!!!
thats RIGHT and remember oil is cheaper than an engine even without a special coupon...
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:31 PM   #19
fiddlybits

I figure the oil that I take OUT of my diesel truck at an oil change is probably as good or better than the oils from the 20/30's.

Maybe I should strain some through a burlap sack and put it in the A?

Choice of oil is not a biggy. Changing it is.
fiddlybits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:21 AM   #20
Hoogah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post

I have put a total of 76 miles on my Model A since I bought it and have changed the oil three times.
Wow, 31ModelA, there'd be blokes who would buy your used oil for their next oil change!
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote