Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-16-2020, 02:57 PM   #1
ford31

Default price on car

theres a model a maybe for sale but wants offer,1930 2 door,no visable rust has original glass,body looks ok ,good hood,radiator shell ok radiator looks ok fenders bad has welds and some dents motor locked up put couple quarts oil in runs out rear fast as u put it interier bad wood seems ok so is top been inside tires are up trying to figure offer
ford31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 03:09 PM   #2
McMimmcs

Default Re: price on car

Golden rule! Let him make an offer and then that becomes the highest number you will have to pay. You can always come up but never down once you make an offer.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 03:27 PM   #3
Gil Sissons

When you compare being able to find a Tudor
that runs well.... has acceptable body and paint
available for around $15K....
Compare with this car needing engine and body
and paint.... this car would have to be very.....
Priced right!

Gil. NoCal
Gil Sissons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:40 PM   #4
ronn

nice drivers are 7500 all day long. not perfect, but turn key and go.

without a photo, you sure dont give us much to work with........

2500-5000. A hot rodder will be glad to buy it for 4k.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:01 PM   #5
1crosscut

I don't like putting a number on other people treasures. The owner probably doesn't have a good feel for what the local market is on A's and could be hoping that a half dozen people throw numbers at him on it and then he will make a decision as to the price range he will accept.
That said I agree with Ronn that a good runner will fetch in the 7,500 range.
Since the engine is locked up I would suggest you step back and look at it as if the car doesn't have an engine in it then figure the price of a new engine into the price.
To me original glass is not a plus.
If you have the ability and enjoy doing all the work yourself then with the right price you can fix it up and not be too deep into the hole if and when you decide to sell it in the future.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:30 PM   #6
Mulletwagon

Shields up !! Have a solid idea of what it will take to at least bring it up to "driver" status. Even a free "barn find" takes at least $15K to get it running and presentable. Alwas best to start with a car that at least runs since that will probably put you about $8K ahead with a functional and complete driveline. Recommend checking to see what else is available at what cost before deciding the route you want to go. Good Luck.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:14 AM   #7
Mike Barrett

Feeling good about my recent purchase, 30 Tudor, rebuilt engine ,tranny, steering box. No rust, older restoration. Seats need reupholstering. Have had a couple of issues (now fixed with your help) Paid $7700 Canadian. Just missed a 30 Roadster by a day, needed new interior, it went for $9000 CDN.
Mike Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 04:00 PM   #8
jak

personally, i would stay away from it for the following reasons.
interior will run you $2,000 - $3,000 depending on material, Original glass replace it with modern safety glass before you drive it that will be $500-$600, if the engine is totally shot a rebuild short block around here is about $2,500 and if you go complete that is in the $5,000+. As others said you can buy a nice running driver for $5,000 - $8,000 Others may disagree on my prices but that is what stuff seems to be going for in the Mid Atlantic area.
jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:06 PM   #9
trulyvintage

Lightbulb I Like This One

I can’t buy it and sell it at the same time ....

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:57 AM   #10
eagle

How about some optimistic thinking? Pay $3k for the car. Dump some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders and get it running. Go to the local fabric store and pay $150 for the interior fabric, put it on yourself. Pay $70 for a gallon of paint at farm and fleet, paint it yourself. Go through the brakes, another $500 maybe, change all fluids $100. For around $4k you have a respectable driver! Who knows, but for sure you'll have a lot of fun and guaranteed to learn something. A whole lot cheaper that just about anything else you'll ever do. Or go buy a new Chevy, spend $40k and in 8 years you can sell it for $3500 to a local college girl.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:29 AM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford31 View Post
theres a model a maybe for sale but wants offer,1930 2 door,no visable rust has original glass,body looks ok ,good hood,radiator shell ok radiator looks ok fenders bad has welds and some dents motor locked up ......put couple quarts oil in runs out rear fast as u put it interier bad wood seems ok so is top been inside tires are up trying to figure offer
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
How about some optimistic thinking? Pay $3k for the car. Dump some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders and get it running. Go to the local fabric store and pay $150 for the interior fabric, put it on yourself. Pay $70 for a gallon of paint at farm and fleet, paint it yourself. Go through the brakes, another $500 maybe, change all fluids $100. For around $4k you have a respectable driver! Who knows, but for sure you'll have a lot of fun and guaranteed to learn something. A whole lot cheaper that just about anything else you'll ever do. Or go buy a new Chevy, spend $40k and in 8 years you can sell it for $3500 to a local college girl.
Seems like he already has it running. The motor was locked up (i.e.: stuck) but added some oil and it goes real fast now.

I think the rest of your advice is pretty spot-on for this level of car. I do question your definition of 'respectable' though!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:42 PM   #12
eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Seems like he already has it running. The motor was locked up (i.e.: stuck) but added some oil and it goes real fast now.

I think the rest of your advice is pretty spot-on for this level of car. I do question your definition of 'respectable' though!!
Yeah, Well. I was being optimistic. Maybe the drain plugs out? Much more fun being an optimist than a pessimist, although it can be more expensive...