Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-27-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
kentucky1928

Send a message via AIM to kentucky1928
Default ccpu bed question

Hello everyone,I am new to this forum and to the model a.I am trying to restore a 1928 ccpu and it does not have a bed,would it be possible to put a wooden bed on and would I be able to attach the rear fenders to it.Thanks
kentucky1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: ccpu bed question

Both are VERY possible, and may in fact offer some advantages to the original bed which, frankly, is a little small.

Most of the aftermarket bodies on beds offered usually include a bed at least 6' in length: the model A bed is more like 5'.

Width wise you're sort of limited to the distance between the fenders - although this can be improved upon slightly by using fenders originally from the closed body cars such as the Tudor and the 4 door. This techique was used in the production of the Station Wagons IIRC.

As to format of the bed, it is possible to take some lessons from the Model T era. I'll attach a pix which shows something typical of this era.

This bed is actually from Snyder's and is aimed at the 1926-27 Model T - but the dimensions are similar to the Model A and the adaptation should be straightforward. A little spendy at $800 - but one can reverse-engineer a lot of this.

Anyway, this a project near and dear to my heart as it will allow me to recycle a lot of the Model A parts that I own. And with a reproduction bed at $1600 plus delivery, it would for frugal me be a part of the truck which would NEVER be used - which kind of undoes the advantage of owning a truck?

But a wooden bed you could bang up with the rationale - if I need to I'll make another.

Funny thing the human mind...

Bring us pix of your project. We all LOOOOVE pix of course.

And welcome aboard!

Good luck,
Joe K
Old 06-27-2014, 06:18 PM   #3
kentucky1928

Send a message via AIM to kentucky1928
Default Re: ccpu bed question

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks joe I actually think the wooden beds look a lot better and I think I could save a lot of money.
kentucky1928 is offline   Reply With Quote