Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-06-2021, 08:37 AM   #1
dpson

Default Changing of the Guard

It's been talked about for years, the oldtimers are passing on and new generations are coming into Model A ownership. There have been a lot of recent posts on other venues, such as Facebook, about people who have bought or inherited Model A's and have really no clue how to start, drive and fix these cars. While us oldtimers find it so simple because we grew up with Model A's the new folks aren't finding it so easy, especially if they've had little exposure with the antique car hobby to start with. Admittedly even learning how to start a Model A can be daunting. It's not just a matter of turning the key.

It'll be interesting to see what happens as more and more Model A's find new homes over the next few years. It would be sad to see these cars sit in people's garages because they don't know how to run them and that raises the question what can we do to pass down the knowledge and experience needed to operate and maintain these cars?
dpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:04 AM   #2
HD Rider

Default Re: Changing of the Guard

Everyone I take for a ride; I show them what I'm doing and why. I also refer anyone interested in learning to this site and Paul Shinn's youtube channel.
HD Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:15 AM   #3
Gene F

all in all, Model-As are the easiest, and still close to cash positive restoration there is. For someone wanting to try and restore and old car, and have fun with it afterwards, the A is a great value and experience. Usable after done too.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:16 AM   #4
Dave in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpson View Post
what can we do to pass down the knowledge and experience needed to operate and maintain these cars?
Keep answering the questions of "new owners" as they join this forum and others with patience and as much simplification of the processes as we can muster.
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:53 AM   #5
Stingray70

I suppose I am one of the "new guard". I will say that one of the main reasons my wife and I chose to buy a Model A was because of the tremendous knowledge and support out there for these cars. I have spent scores of hours reading everything I can on this forum and others trying to learn as much as possible. Someday I hope to have a sliver of the wisdom that many of you do so that I may pass it along. The cars deserve it and so do the present generation of stewards. And definitely thank you for the patience!!
Old 03-06-2021, 10:11 AM   #6
KenBolton

The best source of information for me has been our local club. Now the question is; “How much longer will we have members interested in these cars?”
KenBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:27 AM   #7
Curtis in MA

People who inherit an A don't know who to ask, so if they see you out driving they will ask you.
So drive more!
Curtis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:37 AM   #8
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Rider View Post
Everyone I take for a ride; I show them what I'm doing and why.
That is a good idea. Everyone I *tell* about the steps to start the Model A generally gets a laugh out of the complicated (to them) procedure. Explaining it while doing it in front of them would make better sense to the new rider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:42 AM   #9
Bob Bidonde

I see a very good continuation of our Model A hobby into the future.
I have been a member of my local Model A club for 49 years, and in that time:
> Back in 1962 I was a newbie to the Model A. I learned by trial & error, by reading lots about the car, and by consulting with other Model A drivers. It didn't take long for me to learn that the Model A is not a get-in-and-go car;
>There have been sufficient new memberships to keep my local club going as one of the largest in the USA;
>Clubs usually have seminars and work group functions to teach about driving and maintaining a Model A;
>Today there are more literature, videos, movies and computer medias than ever before about the Model A Ford;
>There are many more running Model A's on the road, many more car shows and parades to promote the Model A.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:52 AM   #10
Bob Bidonde

There is a viewpoint that I disagree with, and that is about the number of restorations in the future. The cost of a body-off-frame complete restoration is too costly today, and it will get more costly. So I predict there will be:
>More older restorations being used as-is;
>More barn finds on the road with their barn patina;
>Sadly, I see restorer's cutting corners on mechanicals to make a pretty paint job and accessories within a budget. I hope I am wrong on this point.

Old 03-06-2021, 12:32 PM   #11
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
That is a good idea. Everyone I *tell* about the steps to start the Model A generally gets a laugh out of the complicated (to them) procedure. Explaining it while doing it in front of them would make better sense to the new rider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good idea. Or better yet, offer to go over to their house and show them. If it won't start it's likely something simple, and you can get their confidence up a bit. Let's face it, the joy of having an A is not looking at it in the garage, but driving it.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 01:12 PM   #12
Ayers1

My Dad has a 28 Fordor that he bought when I was a year old. 58 years later I know that one day I'll inherit it but I wonder what will happen with it when I will eventually pass it down. None of my daughters have had the love or interest that I do for the A. Hopefully it and my 30 Tudor will get passed down and kept in the family.
Ayers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 01:18 PM   #13
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpson View Post
It'll be interesting to see what happens as more and more Model A's find new homes over the next few years. It would be sad to see these cars sit in people's garages because they don't know how to run them and that raises the question what can we do to pass down the knowledge and experience needed to operate and maintain these cars?
That's why I'm making videos – for guys like me who just stumbled into this hobby and have no connections, no relatives, no clubs nearby, nothing to go on except books.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 01:25 PM   #14
Mister Moose

I'm what might be described as a mid-timer. After a long sleep I got the car together and on the road in 1998-2000. I looked into clubs a time or two, but they were mainly social and I was in nose to grindstone mode. I was not interested in dues or meetings. I only wanted occasional technical input. The emergence of the internet only advanced the split for me between social and technical.

Today I see less club activity locally. I see more car shows, or maybe just am more aware, but it does seem like more shows. I see a fair bit of indifference when on the road, many many people have zero interest in the car.

I've seen the demise of Pioneer Valley Model A, Le Bonney Baron, and Ezold's Garage. There is no longer any Model A specific business I'm aware of within an hour's drive or more. The Model A parts houses seem healthy. Mark's Auto Parts in East Granby has a wonderful cruise night following, and attracts everything from the brass era to 4 cylinder turbo rice rockets. Their website claims largest in New England, and they hopefully will resume post COVID this summer. An event like that is great exposure for all classic cars.

In short, it' a mixed bag. The newer generations don't seem to like antique furniture, sailing, skiing, or standard transmissions. Tastes change. The muscle cars have been much more in vogue, and even the flat head V8 era is more popular now. My cousin's business revolves around '32-'50's era cars. My parents grew up with these cars, I grew up with Mustangs and Cameros.

When I take the car out, park and return, if I find anyone looking at it 9 times out of 10 it is a white haired guy. Is that due to generational reasons, or upon retirement there is an elevated interest in the hobby?

I remember building several metal models of antique cars as a kid, are those all gone now? (Anyone remember the brand that was dominant?) I see a few Revell kits on Amazon, has model building faded as well? One of the metal models I did was a 1931 Model A Victoria, which no doubt planted a seed for future interest. (With my other toys, I couldn't afford the 1930 Packard Roadster I also built a metal model of!)

Aside from local activity, nationally I see the health of a dozen Model A parts houses as a pretty good indicator that the near future is not so bleak. The internet has provided a vast library now of information that didn't exist pre 2000, that should also help keep these cars on the road.

The monster in the closet? Lawyers. Insurance companies. Who will drive these cars if insurance becomes multiples higher than it is now?
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:07 PM   #15
Mike Peters

Looking at it this way, let's say that there may me less than 500,000 Model A's left on the planet. World population is about 7 billion potential model A owners. Out of all those people, we only need half million or so to take care of our babies. That makes pretty good odds that there will be enough people with interest in these cars to keep them going indefinitely. Just sayin'
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:17 PM   #16
ursus

Quoting Mister Moose, above: "The monster in the closet? Lawyers. Insurance companies. Who will drive these cars if insurance becomes multiples higher than it is now?"

Other monsters in the closet: 1) State Motor Vehicle Depts that might easily restrict use of antique cars to the point where there are nothing more than museum curiosities, and 2) carbon emission restrictions that may prohibit use of inefficient engines. Don't laugh, the State of Oregon is now considering banning the sale of diesel fuel!

Can you imagine converting our Model A's to an electric motor in order to drive them?
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:27 PM   #17
redmodelt

"When I take the car out, park and return, if I find anyone looking at it 9 times out of 10 it is a white haired guy. Is that due to generational reasons, or upon retirement there is an elevated interest in the hobby?"

I have very few white haired guys asking about my T when I am out with it, not that most people asking are looking to buy one, most are younger then me by a few years or more. Unless there is a time crunch, I try to take time to talk to anyone that express's an interest. When out driving the T, I get more then a few waves and smiles.

Generally if we are doing an event or car show with our T club, I spend as much time as I can hanging around our cars to talk to people. I have worked on a number of cars in our club so know a little about them and which ones it's ok for someone to sit in.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:35 PM   #18
WHN

The Second World War veterans turned the Model A over to their kids, Us Baby Boomers.

Now it’s getting to be the time for us to do the same thing. The good cars will make the transition, restored, driver, or hot rod.

I think there still going to be here. Our grandson loves ours. He just has to get a little older.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:34 PM   #19
midgetracer

I see no problem in the future. I have 9 Model As and 4 children. They each have spoken up for 2 cars. One grandson has rebuilt an engine and is slowly restoring his first Model A. One son has 2 Model As and a 48 Ford pickup of his own that he has rebuilt with a bit of help from me. Two grandsons share the other of my Model As. My daughter has learned to drive in a Model A (including parallel parking). When the family gets together we have our own parade. My parts stash will keep these cars running for years. When my grandson drives a Model A to high school his friends all crowd around. I see no problem with Model As surviving many more generations. people have been talking about the end of old cars for decades. I don' see it happening.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:43 PM   #20
JayJay

I'm a bit of a retread - I played around with As when I was in high school in the late '60s, then had a hiatus for close to 50 years until I got back in it a bit over a year ago. Both of my kids have flown the coop and established themselves as healthy, productive young adults (great for them) but that means they never had the chance to grow up around As. I'm hoping that at least one of my cars ends up with one of the kids. My goal is to drive the Town Sedan from California to Wisconsin, where my daughter and her family live (ironically, the car came to California from a town in Wisconsin about an hour from where they live now). I'm hoping that will stimulate an interest from at least my son-in-law, and perhaps the grandkids too. Maybe I'll even get some interest from the kids in the neighborhood, that would be cool too.

Even if there's no family to share with, I'm having a ball with the As, with this forum and with the local club. As far as the club, there are a few folks younger than me but not too many. Clubs in general are seeing a "graying" of their members. Maybe there are just too many other things competing for people's attention, but driving these lovable old cars around never fails to get me a wave or smile. There's nothing like a good enthusiastic ahooga to get people laughing.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan

Last edited by JayJay; 03-06-2021 at 11:38 PM.
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote