Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-08-2021, 07:37 PM   #21
bmwillia

Default Re: Fumes in the cabin

Thanks everyone.

I do have the vented pan. I run through Richard’s procedure a few times and look at getting the gasses vented from the oil filler tube.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:20 AM   #22
5851a

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard crow View Post
when you run a rebuilt eng you must seat the rings. with the car in third speed slow down to about 10 mph now put the pedal to the floor to 25 mph. do this three or four times .if you used crome rings there are a bitch to seat. years ago when the rings refused to seat we would put bon amae if the cylinders & start the eng . today you modern mech. will think i am nuts
I worked at an RV dealer in the 70's. Most of the mini homes were Dodges, customer brought his new RV back after a short time and said was burning oil. I drove it to Dodge dealer and watched the mechanic rev up the engine and dump BonAmi down the carb, I nearly fainted but it worked.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:15 AM   #23
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard crow View Post
.if you used crome rings there are a bitch to seat. years ago when the rings refused to seat we would put bon amae if the cylinders & start the eng . today you modern mech. will think i am nuts
Actually Bon Ami was a factory approved method of seating the rings on Case model 500 diesel tractors in the 1950s. I have the original service bulletin describing the procedure.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:29 AM   #24
Ricosan

Check your firewall to see if you have any leaks into the engine compartment. This is easy to check. Have a friend shine a flashlight on the engine side of the firewall while you look for light in the cockpit coming from the flashlight.
Richard
Ricosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:39 PM   #25
slowforty

I had a fuel pump stand that was warped. it caused quite a bit of the fuel problem. Solved by replacing the stand. Plastic plugs work well in blocking holes in the firewall
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 04:59 PM   #26
2935ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricosan View Post
Check your firewall to see if you have any leaks into the engine compartment. This is easy to check. Have a friend shine a flashlight on the engine side of the firewall while you look for light in the cockpit coming from the flashlight.
Richard
My suggestion also.
These old cars are very cabin leaky.

I have been plugging every firewall/floorboard hole/seam on my cars I can find.
Some of the big culprits are the brake/clutch/trans cover.
Those headaches are probably a sign of carbon monoxide and that's not good.
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:47 PM   #27
Ken Henry

I have a fuel injected 8BA with a pcv system and still get the same smell in the cabin, with some of the same effects you mention (complaining wife!) but no headaches that I have noticed. Putting a pair of Flowmaster catalytic converters on killed the smell but they only lasted a few thousand miles before they were overwhelmed by the flathead! The idle AFR has to be fairly rich in a flathead for a smooth idle due to the combustion chamber design, I think, and some unburnt hydrocarbon smell is inevitable. Ken
Ken Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:12 PM   #28
Talkwrench

"How hard has the engine been driven? It really needs a load on it and needs to be driven fairly hard. People tend to baby these engines and that is not a good procedure to get everything broken in on a new engine."

Correct... I dont know how many times if seen videos of guys with their - "new engine"- and they wonder around it taking a video of it idling because it sounds cool..
Old 02-10-2021, 08:42 AM   #29
bmwillia

I have begun plugging holes and sealing floorboards up.

The car has not spent much time idling other than when I let it warm up on cold mornings. I wind it up fairly good between shifts and due to traffic around here and no synchro on 1st gear and I have not come to a complete stop, I am often time pushing the car through 2nd when it needs to be in first.

That being said I have had it out on the highway and wound it up pretty good with the pedal to the floor and got it up to about 65mph where it seemed to top out. If it was still accelerating, it was doing so slowly.

I don't feel like I have babied it but I also have not been a gear head all my life and didn't really start learning about engines until I inherited this car in 2012, so maybe I have.

I will try Richard Crow's method to seat the rings as soon as the weather permits and I have some time to drive. Although I am not using much oil.

I really do appreciate all the replies. I always get plenty of info and learn so much on this forum.

Last edited by bmwillia; 02-10-2021 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Add info.
bmwillia is offline   Reply With Quote