Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #21
1931 flamingo

Default Re: 1929 model a won't stay running!

Go BACK and reread post#11. If you didn't check that, no need to fiddle with the GAV.

Fuel, air, spark.

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:44 PM   #22
Skeezixx

I had the same problem about a month ago. It turned out to be a clogged gas cap vent.

Loosen the gas cap.
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:39 PM   #23
19tudor29

I agree with previous poster---no need to fiddle with anything else until you give us results of #11. Speaking of GAV, I have no idea how many turns in and out mine is set. When cold, I just adjust it richer to keep it running smoothly and within a mile I find the "sweet spot". Then leave it alone until the next cold start
19tudor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:36 PM   #24
boomerusmc

Welcome to the Barn. Sounds like a fuel issue...I had a similar experience when I brought mine home. Ran great for the maiden voyage, but after a bit, it stirred up rust that had lingered in the tank, which then plugged the line and carb. Then it would only run when choked, and then quit.

I'm sure the veteran Barners here will get you going soon, but you may want to see if there is a Model A club near you, and reach out to them as well. Take it from another newbie...having some experienced folks right there with you is invaluable. In a short time, I've learned what would undoubtable have taken many years...and avoided making some dumb (or dangerous) decisions/mistakes by listening and asking questions.
boomerusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:25 PM   #25
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjstephen54 View Post
Bought the car a few days ago ran fine. Brought it home on a trailer and it starts but shuts right off after it starts. I try giving it a little gas same thing happens. Saw some videos on starting procedures and I did all the proper procedures. The car just won't stay running. Anyone have any idea or suggestions? Thanks so much.
Still sounds like a fuel problem.

Quote:
Yes gas valve is open
But is any fuel getting out?

Quote:
Yes only stays running for a few seconds them dies right Away. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you
Quote:
So 1 full turn open for a minute or so then close it almost all the way? Do you think that could be the reason it keeps shutting off?
If it only runs for a few seconds keeping it open for a minute will be of no help. Remove the fuel line at the carb and see if you get a strong stream into a quart jar.

Wait, Did you do anything to the timing before you started the car the first time? Way out of time could give the symptom that it wants to start but won't keep going.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:48 PM   #26
Sjstephen54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Still sounds like a fuel problem.

But is any fuel getting out?

If it only runs for a few seconds keeping it open for a minute will be of no help. Remove the fuel line at the carb and see if you get a strong stream into a quart jar.

Wait, Did you do anything to the timing before you started the car the first time? Way out of time could give the symptom that it wants to start but won't keep going.
I put the spark advance all the way up like the instructions say, and it is doing the same problem, I'm going to check the fuel lines and tank and go from there.
Sjstephen54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:47 PM   #27
Chuck Sea/Tac

I have had a bad coil act this same way. Twice . Are your plugs wet, or is any gas dripping or wet in the carb throat?
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:09 PM   #28
Jkkinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezixx View Post
I had the same problem about a month ago. It turned out to be a clogged gas cap vent.

Loosen the gas cap.
Having same problem with 31 sport coupe! Loosened cap, it started right up but shot blue flames out back of carb! Turned it off ASAP! What does that mean
Jkkinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:12 PM   #29
nkaminar

I was helping a friend with his car that had the same symptoms. There was fuel in the tank but low. I took the line off the carburetor and put it in a container. When I turned on the gas none came out. Turns out the after market fitting on the fuel tank (read Home Depot) would not allow all the gas to drain out of the tank. We put in a few gallons and the car ran fine.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:18 PM   #30
Jkkinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
I was helping a friend with his car that had the same symptoms. There was fuel in the tank but low. I took the line off the carburetor and put it in a container. When I turned on the gas none came out. Turns out the after market fitting on the fuel tank (read Home Depot) would not allow all the gas to drain out of the tank. We put in a few gallons and the car ran fine.

Took the fuel line loose to check that already & very good flow from line so don’t think that is the problem but thanks for your reply! Not sure why blue flames shot out of back of carburetor when I removed the gas cap unless allowed to much fuel in all at once! As you have guessed I’m sure I’m not a mechanic! We are selling the car which heretofore started right up first crank & ran like a top until the day we have a buyer that wants to come look at her! Any other ideas appreciated, our mechanic can’t get here until Tuesday or Wednesday!
Jkkinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:08 PM   #31
jerrytocci

It bounced around on the trailer and stirred up the crud in the tank
jerrytocci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:39 AM   #32
nkaminar

Crud in the tank, crud in the carburetor. Take the carburetor apart enough to spray carburetor cleaner in it and blow it out with compressed air. You may not need to take all the jets out. If the main jet is partially clogged it will run lean and pop out the intake. The blue flame out the intake is an indication of a lean mixture.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:36 AM   #33
johnbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
That was my first thought. ON is when the handle is up and down. VERTICAL
Actually, I have come across one Model A where the On position was HORIZONTAL ... as I hadn't worked on that particular car before it took me some time to fathom it out ! A rogue tap from someplace else I suspect .
Sjstephen 54... when we say that GAV is usually 1/4 turn or so open I suspect we are all assuming your carb is a Zenith, I find Tillotsons need the GAV adjuster turned about 1 full turn open .

PS Welcome back to the Barn, Tom . Hope you're getting things sorted.

Last edited by johnbuckley; 07-19-2021 at 11:43 AM.
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote