Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2019, 08:04 AM   #1
Ricosan

Default Need help with dual gauge

I had my dual gauge from my "34 cabriolet rebuilt about 4 months ago. It was working at the time but the case on the back had completely deteriorated.

After receiving the rebuilt gauge I took it to my mechanic and he installed it. It didn't work.

I sent it back to the company that rebuilt it. They repaired it and returned it to me. My mechanic installed it and it didn't work.

I sent it back for a third time. They repaired it and sent it back. My mechanic installed it and it doesn't work!

I watched the mechanic install the gauge and I saw nothing that would (IMO) cause a failure.

After each installation was removed, I carefully examined the unit and couldn't find anything that looked wrong.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

ricosan

Last edited by Ricosan; 03-12-2019 at 08:05 AM. Reason: photo
Ricosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:06 AM   #2
deuce lover

Default Re: Need help with dual gauge

Was it tested before you reinstalled it?Who rebuilt it?
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:06 AM   #3
19Fordy

When you talk to the repair people, what do they say?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:42 AM   #4
DavidG

Which part of the gauge is inoperative, the temperature gauge or the fuel gauge or both?

If it's the temperature gauge, did you test it before having it installed. It's a simple test; dip the brass sensor in some very hot water and watch for the fluid to rise. If it passes that test, perhaps your 'mechanic' is installing it improperly.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
Ricosan

Yes, I tested it myself the second time before installation and had my mechanic check this last time and it worked each time.

After the second failure, I appealed to the gauge repair company for help. They were not helpful and only insisted that there was nothing wrong with gauge when it left their shop.
They wouldn’t tell me why it failed. He assigned all of the blame on my mechanic.

After this last failure, I asked him why they were failing. He said that the last one had a “nick” in the tubing.

It sounds like it’s the fault of the mechanic but I watched him install the gauge all three times. He was very careful handling and unfolding the tube. It’s a very simple install. I helped him feed the tube through the firewall. Easy, no drama. I just don’t see where it’s getting damaged.

Gas gauge is working great.

Ricosan
Old 03-12-2019, 09:48 PM   #6
B-O-B

Where is the nick? Have you tested it after taking it out & before sending it in for repair?
How dep is the nick? Give us better information & a picture would be helpful of the damaged area.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:38 AM   #7
Ricosan

BOB. Repair guy says the nick was in the tube from the sender to the gauge. I’ve examined each one before sending it back and could see no problems.
Previously, I have rechecked the units again while the gauge is still in the car but the sender has been withdrawn from the hose. I boil water and plunge the sender in the water. If the gauge is working, it quickly shows red moving up into the “normal” area.

When I spoke to the repair guy, he said that this last time the technician had put a red “dye” along with the gas that he says has no color. So far I’ve seen no red.

Today I am going to remove the sender from the hose and and check with boiling water and ice water.

Ricosan
Old 03-13-2019, 04:50 PM   #8
B-O-B

Nicks can be anywhere along the tube. Can you be more specific. Near the ends ,in the middle? It doesn't take much & may not be visible to the naked eye.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:59 AM   #9
Ricosan

BOB I haven’t seen the nick. Gauge man says he has it. I am going to examine the tubing with a magnifying glass when we take this one out. The only place for a nick would be where the tube passes through the firewall. I can believe that the tube could be punctured at this point if the installer were not careful but not 3 times!

Yesterday I removed the sender from the hose and plunged the sender into 162 degree water. It brought the red up into the “low” normal area but while running it only moves it to thr “cold” area at the very bottom.

Ricosan

Ricosan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 324B67C5-6DDA-4508-9CE1-5F397A56E3B2.jpg (22.1 KB, 29 views)
Old 03-14-2019, 07:45 AM   #10
DavidG

Do you have thermostats in your radiator hoses and if so, where is the temperature gauge sender located relative to the thermostat, above it or below it (between the thermostat and the water pump)?
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:14 AM   #11
Ricosan

David I don’t have a thermostat. I’m going to take my car out this afternoon and when I return I plan to measure water temperature in the hose, above and below the sender.

Ricosan
Old 03-15-2019, 12:52 PM   #12
Ricosan

Temp at sender 144 degrees. Red dye in the “cold” reading.

OK, here is what I’m going to do. I’ll send the gauge out to a different company this time and have them rebuild the unit. I haven’t decided what to do about my mechanic. We will have a conversation when I take the car over to have this gauge removed.

Thanks guys for all of your help, I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Ricosan
Old 03-18-2019, 06:07 AM   #13
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricosan View Post
Temp at sender 144 degrees. Red dye in the “cold” reading.

OK, here is what I’m going to do. I’ll send the gauge out to a different company this time and have them rebuild the unit. I haven’t decided what to do about my mechanic. We will have a conversation when I take the car over to have this gauge removed.

Thanks guys for all of your help, I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Ricosan
I wouldn't do anything with your mechanic. I would suspect the rebuild is the issue and the mechanic is just being used to deflect the blame . I'm pretty ham fisted as a mechanic and have had my dual gauge in and out countless times (until I worked out the air bubble in it with alternating ice and heat -actually saw it burp when it came out) and never "nicked" anything. The red fluid /gas combination sounds a little odd as well -Karl
Old 03-18-2019, 07:46 AM   #14
Ricosan

Karl,

My heart goes out to you and your neighbors in the the wake of this recent senseless tragedy.

I’m trying not to blame any. I really like my mechanic and count him among my friends.

I took the sender out yesterday and “burped” it a few times while my brother watched the gauge. With the water temperature in the pot measuring 171 degrees, the red dye rose to the middle of the normal reading. I buttoned everything back up and took it for a ride. Gauge never reached the normal reading. Just barely into the “cold” range.

Ricosan
Old 03-18-2019, 09:46 AM   #15
joe 1950

what’s your engine temp take a thermo gun and ck at the sender need to know this
joe 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:00 AM   #16
Ricosan

Hey Joe,

Water temperature at the sender is 145 degrees. My mechanic thinks that as the summer gets closer, the temperature reading will be in the “normal “ range. We’ll see in a couple of months.

Ricosan
Old 03-18-2019, 08:52 PM   #17
cas3

put some thermostats in. google this- thermostats subaru fordbarn
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote