Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-28-2019, 08:01 AM   #1
Ricosan

Default ‘34 tire balance

Hey Guys,

I just had new tires put on my 1934 cabriolet. The shop balanced al 4 tires, putting the weights on the inside of the rim.

At about 50 mph I start to get a vibration coming from the rear. I added dyna beads to all four wheels and the vibration was reduced but still present.

My question is this. Should I remove the weights that the tire shop put on or will this make no difference?

Ricosan
Ricosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:34 AM   #2
Teacher John

Default Re: ‘34 tire balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricosan View Post
Hey Guys,

I just had new tires put on my 1934 cabriolet. The shop balanced al 4 tires, putting the weights on the inside of the rim.

At about 50 mph I start to get a vibration coming from the rear. I added dyna beads to all four wheels and the vibration was reduced but still present.

My question is this. Should I remove the weights that the tire shop put on or will this make no difference?

Ricosan
I removed the weights from my wire wheels on my '39 Ford truck and have NO vibration.
Teacher John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:33 AM   #3
whizzernick

remove weights and install correct dyna beads . i did this on my 33 3-w and i can now go on freeway
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:51 AM   #4
john in illinois

Did the shop have the correct lug centering adapter to center the 34 wire wheels. If they just put it on the balancer using the large center hole it will not balance accuratelly. Most shops do not have this.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:19 PM   #5
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by john in illinois View Post
Did the shop have the correct lug centering adapter to center the 34 wire wheels. If they just put it on the balancer using the large center hole it will not balance accuratelly. Most shops do not have this.

John
This. There is a new Coats machine ( I forget the model #) that Coker recommends to use to balance old Ford tires and rims.

My buddy just had a set done and they came out beautiful. I'll ask him and list it here.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:15 PM   #6
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by john in illinois View Post

John

John....Are you thinking 'Wide Five' wheels like on the '36 thru '39?

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:29 PM   #7
B-O-B

As I remember correctly dyna-beads instruction say to remove all previous weights.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:42 PM   #8
Ricosan

That's what I was thinking. Will strip weight tomorrow and test drive if the rain holds off.
Ricosan
Old 01-28-2019, 04:31 PM   #9
cas3

are you sure the tire is round? many are not
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:12 PM   #10
john in illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
John....Are you thinking 'Wide Five' wheels like on the '36 thru '39?
No, 34 wheels or 35.
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:46 AM   #11
whizzernick

why but weights on a wheel (that you have pay for ) why not do dyna beads yourself.
they do work.
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:52 AM   #12
G.M.

I always have them balanced with the tires and rims
bolted to the brake drums. G.M.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:03 PM   #13
Flathead Fever

I balanced tires for 30-year's and there never were adapters back then during the 1970s-1990s, just different size cones to fit in the center holes.

When you stick a cone in the center of a rim and spin the tire you can easily see if the wheel is not centered. Can I see within thousandths of an inch, no, but its close enough. You can take a steel rim and a tire, mount it with a cone on a computerized spin balancer. Perfectly balance the tire to a 0.00 ounce reading. Take a little 1/4 ounce weight and stick it on there and that machine will ask for a 1/4 ounce weight directly opposite the other weight. That's how you know if the balancer is still accurate. When I bolted them on the vehicles, from tiny cars to 1-ton trucks they went on down the road nice and smooth. I balanced thousands of tires using a "front cone" balancer.

Before the spin balancer we had a bubble balancer. That old balancer had been there from the 1950s or 1960s. It was pretty accurate. A small amount of weigh added to the tire would move that bubble off of the center bullseye.

I bought a Snap-On computerized wheel balancer from my friend's, families Cadillac repair shop when it closed. All there is with the machine is cones to center the rims.

I don't believe these balancer adaptors your talking about apply to vehicles with steel rims that have decent size holes in the middle for a cone. Over on the '69-'70 Boss 302 website, guys were saying you needed an adaptor to balance the Magnum 500 rims. That could be true, because the hole in the center of the rim is something like 2 5/8". You don't have enough room to get a cone in there plus the shaft on the wheel balancer. What I think the problem is, is that some of these new aluminum wheels have very small diameter center holes so they need an adaptor to center the wheel on the balancer's shaft.

The way I feel about the old cars is I'm building an 87 year old Ford not a Hubble Telescope.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:16 AM   #14
Bored&Stroked

Once you remove the weights - and it still has issues, you may find that the tire itself has an issue. I've seen plenty of new 'vintage' tires that were out of round and either needed to be replaced and or 'trued' - with the good ole' rubber cutting machine (which not that many shops have). It is kind of hard to watch all your new tire end up in a pile of rubber on the floor! Also, you might want to swap the tires/rims around a bit and see if the problem 'moves'. One of the old wire-wheels on my 32 is not super-true, it caused the most drama on the front - so I moved it to the back and things got a lot better.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:36 AM   #15
Ricosan

Hey Guys,

Finally got some descent weather down here so I was able to take my car out for a test. I removed 27.5 oz from my rear left tire. Surprisingly there Were ‘no weights on the other 3 tires.
I drove the car at speed (60-65) with none of the harsh vibration I had driving same speeds with the weights on the tire.
I checked the tires (rear) for roundness. Each tire was perfect except for about a 6” area on both tires that was about 1/8” lower than the rest of the tire. I think this may be from sitting on a cold floor.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:48 AM   #16
joe 1950

27.5 oz is way to much for that tire even some large truck tires don't take that much I think you should go back to where you bought that tire they should be able to check the balance of your wheel [ less tire ] for problems it almost sounds like problem with tire which may come to bite you down the road
joe 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:19 PM   #17
Flathead Fever

[QUOTE=Ricosan;1724437]Hey Guys,

Finally got some descent weather down here so I was able to take my car out for a test. I removed 27.5 oz from my rear left tire. Surprisingly there Were ‘no weights on the other 3 tires.
]

That is an insane amount of weight for a passenger car tire. Four ounces would be a lot. Something is wrong with that tire, the rim is bent or whoever did the balancing screwed up bigtime. It also does not make since that the other three tires have no weights at all on them. Sometimes you get lucky with one tire not needing weights but it's highly unlikely that three of them came up all zeros on the balancer.

Lead weights are now illegal here in CA. If you shoot somebody here in CA I bet the penalty is higher for contaminating the environment with lead than it is for shooting the person.

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 02-07-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote