Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
Ron Lowe

Default Henry Ford Museum

Just made my reservations for the car show in Sept. at the Henry Ford museum. Just wondering if any of you guys have seen it before? I kind of like to know what to expect. Thanks for any input Ron
Ron Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
tmiller6

Default Re: Henry Ford Museum

It's the most wonderful show on earth. Plan on staying late on Saturday night for the gaslight parade and the closing fireworks.

You'll see all kinds of cars from the beginning to 1932. The Pass in Review is nice as are the cars owner driven throughout the day. This will be my family's 32nd time there as participants.

Bring lots of film and batteries. Also bring water. In the event your family are not dyed in the wool car buffs, bring two cars and apologize to them later for your staying all day.
tmiller6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
wrndln

When my wife and I were there on a tour 4 years ago, I was expecting more model A's in the museum. I think there was only 3 or 4 in the museum. It was still worth seeing, however I was a little disappointed with the very few model A's in the museum.
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #4
Hank

Ron,

Driving through the village is a experience. I like history and that is where it is at. Just my opinion. This is another place that you might consider. I am not sure of where you are from. http://www.henryfordestate.org/index.html

Hank
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
Ice man

Unlike most car shows, where they park the cars and you walk around and look, most of the cars just drive around and then rest and drive some more, during the day, folks in period costumes, the train whistle anouncing its coming in to the station. Its like no other car show ever. Was there two yrs ago, and they had 700+ cars. Aauga horns blasting, traffic jams (LOL) and all kinds of cars. And every thing runs, at some time during the day, on Saturday night, DON'T miss the parade, an Take the kids, its a blast. The perfect setting for a antique car show. TAKE A CAMERA. Wear good shoes, have the time of your life. Iceman
Ice man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
Thom IV

you've peaked my interest. What days in September are we talking about? is there a web site?
Thom IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
Dan in MI

The Old Car Festival is September 11-12. Here is the link to their web site: http://www.thehenryford.org/events/oldCarFestival.aspx

Here is alink to a movie from 2008: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4GMsOg_oBI and 2009: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIJW7eILXj8

This will be my third time. It is absolutely fabulus.
Dan in MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:08 PM   #8
WTSHNN

I was just at the Henry Ford on Friday.

I've never been to the show so I can't comment on that but the museum is pretty cool, I last went in 2003 while in Dearborn for the Nat'l meet. I also visited the Benson Ford Center (archives) in 2005.

If you're going to the museum expecting to only see Ford stuff, you'll be disappointed. The museum does a very good job (imho) of keeping a wide variety of topics. We spent about 3 hours there and very quickly ran out of time to do everything we could do.

I was planning on posting some pictures later, we'll see if I can get around to it tomorrow.

-Tim
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:17 AM   #9
Chris Haynes

I have heard that since they have started charging the owners to display their vehicles that many are boycotting the event.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #10
TMB

I think any old car buff would enjoy seeing so many restored, partially restored (and never restored) old cars. This year they had to charge $25 to enter your car but is nominal considering an opportunity to see so many cars, fireworks plus free passes to the museum. The people that run the "show" are top notch and do a fabulous job with the organized chaos on the streets. Hotels are going to be difficult to find closer to the show so reserve early.
TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #11
'31 Coupe/Michigan

I'm boycotting the show. The $25.00 fee was an idiotic decision that only serves to tee-off car owners.
'31 Coupe/Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #12
Ken Ehrenhofer

Smile Re: Henry Ford Museum

I would pay the $25.00 and have a great time. I have only been there once and we brought an 1911 T and had a blast. We drove it on the test track YES it was cool!!!!!
We toured to the Rouge plant and then down town to Highland park plant and drove thru it YES!!! and then we went to the Piquette ave plant where the Model T was born! How cool is that! then Saturday night we drove around the Village with our gas lamps on!!! What fun!!! Saturday they brought out old race cars from the mueseum and started them up and drove them around the village!! It was like a cool dream I hope someday to go again God willing and the creek don't rise!!
A weekend I will never forget,
Ken
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #13
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSHNN View Post
I was just at the Henry Ford on Friday.

I've never been to the show so I can't comment on that but the museum is pretty cool, I last went in 2003 while in Dearborn for the Nat'l meet. I also visited the Benson Ford Center (archives) in 2005.

If you're going to the museum expecting to only see Ford stuff, you'll be disappointed. The museum does a very good job (imho) of keeping a wide variety of topics. We spent about 3 hours there and very quickly ran out of time to do everything we could do.

I was planning on posting some pictures later, we'll see if I can get around to it tomorrow.

-Tim
I found that you want to get to the museum early in the morning and spend a day there, then plan on spending another day at the Greenfield part, then if you have parts to look up, plan on spending a day or more at the Benson Ford Reasearch Center.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #14
raprice

We've never been to the Old Car Festival, but we've been to the Henry Ford three times over the years, including the 75th anniversary of the Model A in '03.
If you have the time, you should definitely visit Fair Lane and also Edsel Ford's home in Grosse Pointe Shores on Lake St. Claire. Well worth the visit. Edsel was a class guy.
Rog
raprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #15
Fozzie

Good show in village but only 2 or 3 Model A In Museum. Lots of Model a out side. Joe Dearborn Mich
Fozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #16
Deluxe Coupe Chris

This is the best weekend of the year for our family. We love the Old Car Festival and can't wait to go back every September. I am so glad that they are charging $25 this year that I decided to spend $30 and take 2 cars. The money is well worth it and is a nominal charge for the fun that you will have. I love the old car games and laugh when they make my wife or kids do silly things.

It is a great weekend.......
Deluxe Coupe Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #17
Big John

Really guys, You should not bellyache about $25.... It is well worth it to participate.. and it only comes once a year.. You would spend $25 in hamburgs at Wendys and think nothing about it and you know where all that ends up....How much $ do you have in that car???
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #18
Big John

Henry made other cars beside the Model A....Get real... This is not a Model A Museum....
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:38 PM   #19
Ken/SC

Great trip, did not have enough time there,was on business
Ken/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:34 PM   #20
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
Henry made other cars beside the Model A....Get real... This is not a Model A Museum....
None worth a damn!