Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2021, 08:11 AM   #1
Grassman

Default Door Lock

I have a 47 pickup 1/2 ton and I was wondering if I could put a keyed door lock on the Driver side door like the pass. side door? I'm 76 and it's unhandy sliding across the seat after locking driver door. Any help would be Appreciated. Thanks, David
Grassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:00 AM   #2
tubman

Default Re: Door Lock

You live in Riverton, Wyoming and have to lock your truck?

What's this world coming to? I live 25 miles north of Brainerd, MN, and the only time I lock my car is when I go to the Twin Cities.

I'm sure someone will be able to answer your question.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:08 AM   #3
slowforty

Maybe people can still drive stick up there.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:47 AM   #4
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowforty View Post
Maybe people can still drive stick up there.
Ya' got me!
Old 05-23-2021, 11:23 PM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassman View Post
I have a 47 pickup 1/2 ton and I was wondering if I could put a keyed door lock on the Driver side door like the pass. side door? I'm 76 and it's unhandy sliding across the seat after locking driver door. Any help would be Appreciated. Thanks, David
I've contemplated doing the same thing on one of my '35 passenger cars, but it looked like a challenge that I didn't feel like spending time or money to do on a US made, left-hand drive vehicle. Now if I could find a left side door from a right-hand drive vehicle like mine, that already has provisions for mounting a door lock cylinder, plus the other locking components necessary to make it work, that would be a different story. I'd have door locks on both sides.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 05-26-2021 at 07:35 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:24 PM   #6
fordor41

I assume if you installed a P.S. handle in the D.S. it would operate backwards if you could install it at all without modifying the door skin. also would have to install a P.S. locking latch upside down to make it operate.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:59 AM   #7
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordor41 View Post
I assume if you installed a P.S. handle in the D.S. it would operate backwards if you could install it at all without modifying the door skin. also would have to install a P.S. locking latch upside down to make it operate.
Wouldn't the key just turn the other way if you installed the lock right side up?

I think the big problem for me would be cutting a hole in the door for the lock cylinder.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:08 PM   #8
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Wouldn't the key just turn the other way if you installed the lock right side up?

I think the big problem for me would be cutting a hole in the door for the lock cylinder.
And, you'd need to install the sheet metal sleeve to hold the lock cylinder in place as well as the threaded sleeve to "pin" the lock from rotating within the aforementioned sleeve.
Methinks if someone really wants the '47, they're going to take it. It's simple to enter a new car and bypass nearly all so called security systems. A '47? Child's play.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:04 PM   #9
fordor41

if the lock for a '47 1/2 ton is anything like a car lock/latch, the lock is integral with the latch , so you would have to somehow modify the latch and lock to work together. seeing as D.S. doesn't have ability to lock I a assume you would have to use a P.S. latch/lock which would operate upside down...me thinks!
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 01:56 AM   #10
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
And, you'd need to install the sheet metal sleeve to hold the lock cylinder in place as well as the threaded sleeve to "pin" the lock from rotating within the aforementioned sleeve.
Methinks if someone really wants the '47, they're going to take it. It's simple to enter a new car and bypass nearly all so called security systems. A '47? Child's play.
"Locks are for honest people".
Old 05-27-2021, 02:14 AM   #11
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
What's this world coming to? I live 25 miles north of Brainerd, MN, and the only time I lock my car is when I go to the Twin Cities.

Good to know Denny! haha just kidding. I have all the keys set up as designed. I also have aftermarket locked gas caps. Don't worry about it but just how I roll. Your ignition steering lock is fine. Bonnie and clyde would be sad, they stole from the few innocent that left the keys in it. Worry is almost as bad as not caring. Most can't drive a stick anyway nowadays. Anyone today that wants your vehicle is organized.

Dude you live in Wyoming. You'll be fine the few times you have to unlock and roll over the seat a few times a year. I always get a kick out rural people getting worked up.

Probably be easier to put a gps tracker or alarm in. Less you live in a downtown city larger then 2 million... relax a little. Wyoming is 560k state wide.

Last edited by Tinker; 05-27-2021 at 02:55 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:30 AM   #12
Grassman

Thanks for all Your replies and thoughts, not really worried about someone taking my Truck just the stuff I have in it sometimes, sounds like it would be more work to be Lazy than to slide across the seat, so I'll just keep Sliding, Thanks again for Your replies, David
Grassman is offline   Reply With Quote