Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-26-2016, 12:17 PM   #1
Tom Wesenberg

Default So, You Want To Go For A Winter Drive

I know several here have mentioned going for a winter drive, and think it will be OK on the dry roads. Even dry roads spread salt dust all over the bottom of the car. I still won't drive on any road once the polluting salt is dumped on the roads. I wait until at least two heavy rains have cleaned the salt off the roads after the last snowfall. My dad used to park in the garage and drag in road salt, which is still in the concrete floor.

I layed down 6 mil plastic, then covered it with an old free carpet. I thought this would offer plenty of protection from the rusting effects of road salt, but look what it did to this piece of metal that was standing on end at the edge of the carpet. This was on the carpet for about 6 months when I noticed how much rust it was getting. I no longer let my tools stay on the carpet, unless it's just for the time I'm working under my Model A.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Road Salt Damage.jpg (60.6 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 10-26-2016 at 12:24 PM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:28 PM   #2
Special Coupe Frank

Default Re: So, You Want To Go For A Winter Drive

I drove my 49-A for one complete year ( all four seasons ) here in NE PA, and will never do it again. The car performed admirably, even in sub-zero weather (aside from skinny 21" tires with high-way tread not being much good in snow).

When I saw what Penn DOT's road treatments had done to hte car, I swore that I would never again subject an antique car to winter driving.

SC Frank
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:39 PM   #3
George Miller

I,m glade we do not use much road salt here. Never use to use it at all. I will not drive my old cars on it, or my newer ones if I can help it. I remember the days in northern Mich when the cars would rust out bad in 4-6 years. Plus I had to work on them in my Dads garage. All the bolts would be rusted up bad, had to heat them red then spray them with water to get them loose.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:45 PM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I am a Santa Claus in Canada and I take the Model A out on Christmas Eve.i have not seen any adverse affects but I do power wash it underside and on top and put it in a heated garage. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:50 PM   #5
SeaSlugs

Yea they have developed a chemical that doesnt affect paint or rust any metal that melts snow and ice just as good - but it costs more than salt so....

I hate salt with a passion and would rather they put cinder or dirt on the ice/snow instead but I dont mind if they use salt as long as they use it sparingly/intellegently! 1" of snow doesnt mean 60# of salt per yard... IL roads turn white after one snow fall then we wonder why we have such awful roads.

They have been spraying this liquid crap on bridges and overpasses BEFORE the snowfall and its supposed to prevent the snow/ice for building up - NEVER have seen it work...always builds up or is slicker than the rest.. No tto mention if you happen to go over it right after they apply it its still wet and spray on your windshield is like a thin layer of concrete!
Old 10-26-2016, 01:00 PM   #6
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post

They have been spraying this liquid crap on bridges and overpasses BEFORE the snowfall and its supposed to prevent the snow/ice for building up !

Beet juice ................

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:16 PM   #7
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I know several here have mentioned going for a winter drive, and think it will be OK on the dry roads. Even dry roads spread salt dust all over the bottom of the car. I still won't drive on any road once the polluting salt is dumped on the roads. I wait until at least two heavy rains have cleaned the salt off the roads after the last snowfall. My dad used to park in the garage and drag in road salt, which is still in the concrete floor.

I layed down 6 mil plastic, then covered it with an old free carpet. I thought this would offer plenty of protection from the rusting effects of road salt, but look what it did to this piece of metal that was standing on end at the edge of the carpet. This was on the carpet for about 6 months when I noticed how much rust it was getting. I no longer let my tools stay on the carpet, unless it's just for the time I'm working under my Model A.
Tom, I moved to Arizona from southern Minn. in 1980. Thought I had escaped the salt, but.......I started as a mechanic for AZ Hiway Dept. in 1987. Soon thereafter they started using more and more salt on northern AZ highways, thanks to lawsuits from idiot drivers who won't slow down in a snowstorm. I40 across north central Arizona is mostly above 5,000 ft. and gets a lot of snow and freezing rain. Flagstaff, at 7,000 ft., gets 100-200 inches of snow a year, which usually melts off the roads in a few days but not good enough. Salt is applied at the rate of 300# per lane per mile per application, and the salt/plow trucks run constantly before, during and after a storm. So much for finding a salt-free car in Arizona-people from Phoenix come up to play in the snow so their cars get salted, too.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:16 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

I just went out to the garage to take a picture of my speedometer cable for someone, and found this. I had this nice multiplate clutch pack in a cardboard box on the carpet, and the salt even migrated through the box.
OUCH! I'm going to have to buy more plastic tubs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Multiplate Clutch Rust.jpg (84.0 KB, 151 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:54 PM   #9
2manycars

The carpet will hold the moisture.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:35 PM   #10
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
Salt Brine solution,,,,,that stuff is brutal
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:42 PM   #11
armchair67

I too used my Model A every day, for 15 months or so, in Chicago, through every season. I didn't even have a garage for it. Yes, my car was parked outside, just like it would have been when it was a newer car. This was from 2014-15, and let me tell you, it was a real winter. A huge mount of snow, and a number of well below 0 temps. Car started every time, no problem-not once did I need a jump or starting fluid. The manifold heater was even pretty decent.

Having said that, I will not do it again-sure the car handled it fine, but the salt will ruin your car in pretty short order. My previous winter car was an old school VW Bug (I did not drive my Cadillac CTS-V in the winter)-another old car that started no matter what the temperature, and went through snow that left many an SUV stuck. But after 13 years or so of winters, my poor VW was really beginning to rust badly-the rockers, spare tire well, etc, inner fenders, were really starting to give way.

If you live where they use salt, do not drive a car that you care about daily unless you can accept that it will be damaged!
armchair67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:44 PM   #12
armchair67

I should add that some of the aftermarket replacement parts on my Model A-such as the brake rods, nuts and bolts, etc-rusted at a truly alarming rate. If you are going to use your car in such a manner, I think the only way would be to powder coat everything that is exposed to the elements. It almost seems like some of those aftermarket parts came with water color paint!
armchair67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:08 PM   #13
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
Sugar beets are the source for ethylene glycol antifreeze, which is why it tastes sweet and animals like to drink it. The junk they spray on the roads is the residue, I think.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:28 PM   #14
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Sugar beets are the source for ethylene glycol antifreeze, which is why it tastes sweet and animals like to drink it. The junk they spray on the roads is the residue, I think.
I use to drive the truck into Billings and pick up a load of sugar beet tops to add to the feed mix for the cattle. I mixed in more than usual just before taking them to the auction yards in Billings, they ate more...with a smile, I smiled too when the check came in.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:56 PM   #15
Synchro909

Salt on roads - never seen it nor even heard of it being done in Oz anywhere.
We drive in all seasons, though some do squib out in winter - we can't put a manifold heater on our cars.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:32 PM   #16
5851a

Don't drive where they salt. When I used to work at a body shop sometimes the boss would go to auctions for builders. One look under a hood or underbody would identify a Chicago car even though it was a current model year that had went through just a bit of winter there. Powder coating if chipped will allow moisture to enter to the metal and keep the salt working on the part (look at a Ford pickup from the mid to upper 80's suspension parts) I keep my good stuff put away from October to May here in Iowa. The salt bleeds from the cracks from rain in the parking lot at work all year long.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:14 PM   #17
Mikeinnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I just went out to the garage to take a picture of my speedometer cable for someone, and found this. I had this nice multiplate clutch pack in a cardboard box on the carpet, and the salt even migrated through the box.
OUCH! I'm going to have to buy more plastic tubs.
Tom, Check your bed springs. You may be in for a rude awakening !
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:16 PM   #18
Indiana A. Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Indiana A. Lover

40 Deluxe I bought a place in Sun City Az. I will be driving your way after the Holidays, I was planning to travel I-40 but now I am worried about Snow and Ice. Can you tell me another way?? Thank you.
Indiana A. Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:51 PM   #19
ian Simpson

My father-in-law was the foreman of the local highway maintenance yards. When I saw what salt did to the boxes on the trucks and buckets on the loaders I resolved never to run a valuable vehicle on salted roads. The shame of it is that there are alternatives to salt, but our local authorities would rather not raise taxes to pay for them, but rather apply a hidden tax us all through shortened vehicle life.

BTW does your local airport put salt on the runways?
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:55 AM   #20
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana A. Lover View Post
40 Deluxe I bought a place in Sun City Az. I will be driving your way after the Holidays, I was planning to travel I-40 but now I am worried about Snow and Ice. Can you tell me another way?? Thank you.
I would look at heading straight south to I10 then west. It's a longer route but a lot less snow and ice.