Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-25-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
BCCHOPIT

Default Safety Inspection with Mechanical brakes ?

Has any one with mechanical brake passed the NSRA free safety inspection?
I was looking at there web site and it only said the car has to have brakes on all 4 wheels. But the check list for the inspection it self states 4 wheel hydraulic brakes.
thanks Bill
BCCHOPIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:23 PM   #2
MikeK

Default Re: Safety Inspection with Mechanical brakes ?

If it is a question about the National Street Rod Association you probably should ask on the H.A.M.B. Why would I want my speedo calibrated at 65mph and why would I want to engrave the shift pattern on the ball? Their street rods certainly wouldn't pass my Model A inspection.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
popcorn-guy

I personally have never been through one of the NSRA safety checks, but I wonder how many inspectors even know how to adjust mechanical brakes let alone know if they are done correctly? I'm not doubting their mechanical abilities, but their familiarity with a system that they most likely never see.

Perhaps there are some out there that participate as inspectors that could clarify their proceedures for mechanical brakes, if any. Is there a specific reason for you running your vehicle through their process or is it just for your own peace of mind. That alone would be quite understandable and it would give you a very good idea if you have missed anything. A friend who owns an auto repair shop has his mechanics check his work and cross check each others work to save embarrasement of having looked at the trees and missing the forest. So to speak.
popcorn-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:46 PM   #4
BCCHOPIT

My car is a late 30s rod. I am the only one in my car club that is running mechanical brake and One of the rules for my club all members cars have to pass. I did ask the HAMB but I would think the ford barn would be more help. I think the safety inspection is BS they don't even check your king pins or see if your brakes even work. I will not put hydraulic brakes on my car because some jack ass from NSRA can only put new disc brakes on his car. I locked up my brakes for the inspector when I passed him in the parking lot.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:14 PM   #5
Bill in SoCal

You will need to check with your state vehicle code, but based on the year of manufacture of your car - certain requirements are waved, like smog, lights and brakes. In California, vehicles first registered prior to January 1930 are exempt from many equipment requirements. Many other equipment requirements are subject to similar exclusion based on other years of manufacture.

Bill in SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:14 AM   #6
Model A Man

I did one of the NSRA inspection for fun at a car show and I did not pass because I had mechanical brakes and my fire extinguisher was in the trunk and not in passenger compartment and the shift knob did not have the shift pattern on it
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:28 AM   #7
TedG

The NSRA Safety inspection is voluntary for the vehicle owner and staffed by volunteers, it is meant to insure the cars are safe to operate, if the vehicle passes you get a window sticker and a hat pin.

BCCHOPIT - Bill, I feel your pain, as long as your car is safe why should it matter what type brakes you have.

Even though I no longer work in that field I have been a licensed PA State Safety Inspection mechanic for almost 40yrs, I built my car in my home shop following the guidelines in the State Inspection manual and I think I know it's mechanical condition fairly well.

PA requires an annual safety inspection and street rods are included with certain exemptions, I have mine done before I put it away for the winter and take that time to do any repairs that are necessary.

I was at an event and a guy came up to me and said "Do you want your car inspected?" I figured it couldn't hurt to have another pair of eyes look it over so I said sure go ahead.

My car failed the NSRA inspection because the "inspector" felt my front brake hoses were too taut, he also said there was a bulge forming on one of them.

I was concerned about the bulge so when I got home I jacked up the car to have a look and found nothing wrong, his bulge was a lump of dirty grease (I built the car to drive so I don't clean the underside), I knocked it off and took the car and paperwork to their main inspection area the next day and had a different person check it out and he found no problems!!!

I took it back so there would be a record of this person rejecting vehicles that do not have problems, I suppose the program is a good idea for the people who buy their cars and know nothing about how they were built but I think I'll do my own inspections.
TedG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:48 AM   #8
BCCHOPIT

I love there shift knob requirement. NOT.... I just took some clear tape and a silver sharpie.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:32 PM   #9
Flathead

NSRA is too much about buying the latest new and "trick" stuff for you "Streetrod"
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:25 PM   #10
BCCHOPIT

Do you think they might over look my brakes if I buy a Billet steering wheel and wiper arm?
Old 09-26-2010, 11:16 PM   #11
Flathead

Probably
Old 09-27-2010, 04:44 AM   #12
TedG

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Do you think they might over look my brakes if I buy a Billet steering wheel and wiper arm?
Just cover your brake rods with neoprene hose and tell them you converted it to hydraulics!!
TedG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:57 AM   #13
Flathead

Better yet, use that woven stainless covering so it looks like aircraft hose. They love that stuff!
Old 09-28-2010, 12:52 AM   #14
BCCHOPIT

Then I can hang some green led lights off them.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:33 AM   #15
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

What I find interesting about this is they state "As an "advisory" type inspection, it is only used to call the owner's attention to something which may have been overlooked. The inspection is not mandatory and has no effect on entering or taking part in NSRA events." But you tell us that "One of the rules for my club all members cars have to pass."
Old 09-28-2010, 08:44 AM   #16
BCCHOPIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
What I find interesting about this is they state "As an "advisory" type inspection, it is only used to call the owner's attention to something which may have been overlooked. The inspection is not mandatory and has no effect on entering or taking part in NSRA events." But you tell us that "One of the rules for my club all members cars have to pass."
You are right they do not touch your car. You could have king pins that are so baggy the car will not drive straight or a drive shaft that will fall out on the way home but you still get your sticker
Old 09-29-2010, 11:08 PM   #17
BCCHOPIT

btt