Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-06-2023, 02:55 PM   #1
tsanborn

Default handbrake on my '56 Country Sedan

Hi All-

I'm replacing the handbrake cable on my '56 wagon and could use some advice. I removed the old cable along with handle in the cabin. While I had the handle out of the car, the little ratcheting mechanism in the handle and its coiled return spring fell out before I could take a look at it and I'm trying reinstall it now.

I see a half moon wear area on one side of the H shaped ratchet plate. I assume that side of the plate should face down and towards the rear of the car. My problem is where the coiled spring goes?

The spring has a short and long leg. I'm guessing the short leg should push against the back side of the ratchet plate and the long side against the outside of the tubular shaped body of the handbrake. I think the pivot point of the spring should fit over one of the two pivot legs of the H shaped racket plate. But on which side? The plate slides in from only one side of the handle but placing the spring on the first H leg as it's slid into place wouldn't secure the spring and the plate from coming apart at a later time. So I think it must somehow slide over the other leg but I don't see how.

Does anyone have a closeup picture of this detail? (Sorry for the long and confusing description.)
tsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 05:27 PM   #2
tsanborn

Default Re: handbrake on my '56 Country Sedan

Well, I managed to try ever other way of putting it back together other than the right way. At last, finally got it back together and onto the car. Sorry for the post, I appreciate that there's a community out there willing to help a knucklehead like myself.
tsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 07:09 PM   #3
KULTULZ

Quote:
Sorry for the post, I appreciate that there's a community out there willing to help a knucklehead like myself.
Live and learn brother. Everyone has been there. You figured it out on your own so you are ahead of the game.

- MULTI-VEHICLE SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID -

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 07:15 PM   #4
Daves55Sedan

As I recall, if you install spring backward, it can't stop the notched rail, so thew rail just falls back down in the housing. Just pull it out and redo spring right and test it again. This time you should have it. Only two ways it could go.
As far as the H-plate, one end has partly rounded edges and the opposite end is sharp. The sharp end contacts the notches in the rail.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote