Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-01-2023, 05:59 PM   #1
Old Henry

Default 6 volt radiator fan recommendation

I recently bought a radiator fan from Speedway and it didn't help my overheating problem one degree so sent it back for a refund. I mounted it in front of the radiator to blow through it. Although I detected a slight vacuum in front of the fan when it was running. I could hardly feel any air coming through the radiator.

My radiator is a brand new aftermarket radiator that I've already concluded is not as good as my old original that was totaled when I hit a deer a year ago. I'm just trying to get it to work better without having to replace it with a used original.

What is the best, most powerful 6 volt fan to use?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations
Old 10-01-2023, 07:50 PM   #2
51504bat

Default Re: 6 volt radiator fan recommendation

From what I can see from their web site Brassworks doesn't list 6 volt fans. But I'd give Lee at Brassworks a call and see if he has any suggestions. If he has a recommendation I'd go with it. But that's JMO
The Brassworks; handcrafted radiators made in the USA
805-239-2501

Old 10-01-2023, 08:06 PM   #3
Old Henry

51504BAT, thanks for the info. I'll call Brassworks tomorrow.

I've also thought of installing a fan shroud to improve the cooling climbing at low speeds but have not found a source for one.

Anyone with a source for a fan shroud for 47 Sedan?
Old 10-02-2023, 08:35 AM   #4
Zeke3

My recommendation is to use an engine driven fan and a shroud to improve air flow through the radiator. Moving air requires horsepower and having only six volts and maybe 30 amps isn’t going to get the job done.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 09:27 AM   #5
tubman

Here's a little calculation for you about a 6 volt fan. Conventional wisdom says that it takes from 2 to 5 HP to turn an engine driven fan. 1 HP equals 745 watts, so the best case, you need 1490 watts to turn an electric fan for the same effect. 1490 watts/6 volts=248.3 amps. I know these are theoretical figures, but in the real world Flex-A-Lite (who claim to make the most efficient automotive fans) state their fans require between 17.5 and 29 amps to function on 12 volts. That translates to 35 to 58 amps for a 6 volt version. Good luck getting that out of your generator (or even your alternator).

No wonder Brassworks doesn't list a 6 volt fan.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 11:16 AM   #6
19Fordy

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
OldHenry, Hate to say it but replacing what you have with an old original is probably your best bet. 6 volt fans draw too much power. Is this 4 row what you are currently using?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/19600418454...%7CMake%3AFord

Another thought: Johnson Hot Rod Shop has acquired the tooling from Walker Radiator Company. I wonder if it would be worth while to bite the bullet and buy a radiator from them once they start production. Perhaps, give them a call.
https://theshopmag.com/news/johnson-...adiator-works/

Last edited by 19Fordy; 10-02-2023 at 11:36 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 07:08 AM   #7
Steves46

Good day Professor. You mentioned that there was a slight vacuum in front of the radiator.
Is the mech fan around an inch close to the radiator? When I had my 46, I could put a small light weight towel on the Radiator while the car was running and the vacuum with hold it on there so that way I knew I had some decent airflow going. Perhaps a crude way of testing but at least I knew. Is it overheating while in motion or at stops? Has it always given you overheating issues? If not, what’s the last mod or repair did you do to the car? In my own personal experience sometimes the last thing I did created new issues. I do hope you find a resolution so that you can continue to enjoy your road trips.
Old 10-03-2023, 10:26 AM   #8
Old Henry

[QUOTE=19Fordy;2259687] Is this 4 row what you are currently using?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/19600418454...%7CMake%3AFord

I don't know what radiator the body shop put in. I just know that it had extra rows to be more efficient . . NOT.
Old 10-03-2023, 10:34 AM   #9
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves46 View Post
Good day Professor. You mentioned that there was a slight vacuum in front of the radiator.
Is the mech fan around an inch close to the radiator? When I had my 46, I could put a small light weight towel on the Radiator while the car was running and the vacuum with hold it on there so that way I knew I had some decent airflow going. Perhaps a crude way of testing but at least I knew. Is it overheating while in motion or at stops? Has it always given you overheating issues? If not, what’s the last mod or repair did you do to the car? In my own personal experience sometimes the last thing I did created new issues. I do hope you find a resolution so that you can continue to enjoy your road trips.
The slight vacuum was in front of the Speedway electric fan in front of the radiator, not the radiator itself.

The overheating was at the top of the climb up Kyhv Peak road to the overlook after climbing in 2nd gear for 15 -20 minutes. With my old original stock radiator I could make that climb in 90°+ weather without boiling over. With the new "improved" radiator I boiled over when I got to the top in only 87° ambient temperature. My water temperature gauge was 10° higher than with the stock radiator.

The weather is cooled here now and we will soon be leaving for another mission for the church for a year or two so I probably won't undertake replacement of the radiator with a used stock one until after that.

Thanks for your interest and concern.