Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-23-2022, 11:57 AM   #37
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Thoughts/Opinions on Piston Rings

It is not just the reduction is friction, I like a chrome-moly top-ring. I use chrome moly rings on every other brand/type of performance engine, so it makes sense to me to use them on flatheads. This is more important if I'm in a boosted situation (which most of my flatheads are not). On the Flathead Cadillac I built for Bonneville I use a special top ring that is designed for high heat (generated by high boost). I'm a bit off track here . . .

I always check the amount of torque to rotate the engine over with the plugs out of it (on the stand). Then I record that amount of torque to reference later on (in case I have an issue later and suddenly the engine is harder to turn over). There is a notable difference in what it takes to turn an engine with metric rings over - vs the thicker cast iron ones. What I have NOT done (but this has me thinking) is to test two different engines at a later date (metrics vs traditional cast rings) - would be interesting to see how they are once they're broken in.

To each his own . . . plenty of ways to skin the Flathead Cat!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote