Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2015, 05:54 PM   #1
sphanna

Default Finally, the brake saga is over... for now at least

Here is the update on my baffling brake problem. Many of you had tried to help me solve the mystery. To review quickly, I turned a drum to .060 in. oversize to get the out of round cleared. Then I could not adjust to get any brakes at all on that side. Many perplexing days later, I finally ordered a set of .060 oversized liners and had them arched to fit my 10.060 in drum diameter at Bratton's mach shop. Now I am sure some of you will see quickly my faulty thinking here, but I did not at the time. Went to install them and I found that I could not get the drum to go over the new shoes with the oversized liners. Finally it dawned on my that by going over by .060 in effect, I went over the diameter my .120. Now what do I do? Well here is what I did. I know it is Mickey Mouse but praise God, it worked! I installed one side with the .o60 over and put the old shoe which had sufficient liner on the other side. Drum went on and I adjusted the brakes. I thought that at worst, I would have to grind off .030 of the Brake Adjusting Shaft on that side and reshape the angle. I could always buy new BAS's if I needed to. I also put a pill on the top end of the operating pin and a pill on the bottom also. I don't like to put 2 at the same end. I had arched the old shoe also to the .060 over drum. My test drive went exceptionally well. Tested the front brakes only first and was able to lock them up and it stopped straight ahead. Then hooked up the rears and now I am getting about 110* +/- on the rear and about 160 +/- temp on front brakes. I am thinking that the Flat Head Ted kit allows the shoes to float enough to make this work as obviously one shoe has to travel further than the thicker one. So far the brakes are working well. On hard braking, no pull left or right and able to lock up wheels on cement with no pulsing due to out of round drums.