Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2021, 05:36 AM   #1
springerpete

Default grease gun universal joint lube

Just read the post by Mitch on the universal joint. I lube mine with a modern gun thru the zerc fitting. 8-10 pumps. Is this enough ? I run about 2000 miles a season. Your thoughts, Bill
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:27 AM   #2
old31

Default Re: grease gun universal joint lube

Read the previous post labeled "Universal Joint Grease" That should answer your question.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:55 AM   #3
WHN

I would remove the speedometer gear on bottom of drive shaft. Than pump grease into u-joint until it comes out of the gear opening.

I use John Deere Corn Head grease. Could take at least one tube if low.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:04 AM   #4
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
Could take at least one tube if low.

Enjoy.
I have always wondered, where is all that grease going? I don't see it coming out anywhere??

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 11:57 AM   #5
jayvee34

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
I would remove the speedometer gear on bottom of drive shaft. Than pump grease into u-joint until it comes out of the gear opening.

Enjoy.
Another good Idea!!
Old 05-23-2021, 02:58 PM   #6
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder View Post
I have always wondered, where is all that grease going? I don't see it coming out anywhere??

I have the same question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 04:17 PM   #7
GPierce

I have a Mitchell overdrive hence no speedometer gear behind the the U Joint to leak grease as an indication of sufficient grease.

Many Model A folks on here have the Mitchell overdrive. How do you determine adequate grease in the U joint housing?

Last edited by GPierce; 05-24-2021 at 03:46 PM.
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 05:05 PM   #8
Bud

I would like to know the answer to SpringerPete's and GPierce's questions as well. I have a Mitchell OD and do not have a "turtle" cap to remove to see what grease comes out. To me, if you pack the entire U-joint area completely full, all you will do is have the U-joint churn thru all that grease and run excessively hot. So, how many pumps of grease are correct???
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:36 PM   #9
deuce5wndw

Quote:
Into your transmission!
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:04 PM   #10
Gene F

I just lubed my car, and changed the oil for a tour our club is going on. I put in 20 full strokes.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:15 PM   #11
Pete

Quote:

That question bothered me so much, I converted to a T5 and open U-joints so I can lube them.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:39 AM   #12
1931 flamingo

The pumped in grease fills the entire u-joint area (the bell, forward to the trans and rearward to the speedo gear in the torque tube).
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:12 AM   #13
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
The pumped in grease fills the entire u-joint area (the bell, forward to the trans and rearward to the speedo gear in the torque tube).
Paul in CT
I think we all know where the pumped in grease goes. The question is not so much where the NEW grease goes but where the OLD grease goes that the NEW grease replaces. I don't see it coming out anywhere.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:45 PM   #14
1931 flamingo

Theoretically you should have to "pack" it once, and then maaybe a squirt every so often. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 01:34 PM   #15
rotorwrench

Ford used a mix of sodium soap and gear oil to lube the U-joint. Sodium soap would basically be what most sodium based greases are made with. It would be a slurry of semi-solid lube. The modern thixotropic greases like the John Deer corn header gearbox grease would actually be pretty close to what Ford intended to use there. That corn head gearbox has at least four different shafts turning in there and it would be hell to seal it all for the environment that it has to work in. This is why they developed the stuff.

With the torque tube front bell fitting up to the metal ball cap, it makes it difficult to get the lube to flow from the outer clam shells all the way in to the u-joint cavity. A person has to make sure that there is a direct flow path just to get it to flow in there at all. I don't know how folks with no speedo drive fitting can tell if the lube is going in there or not. The overdrive fabricators should have made allowance for that due to the importance of having a window in there.

Correction for above statements about flow path due to statement being based on later design U-joint set ups where service zerk fitting is located in a different manner. The model A is easier to service but still important to know where it is all going and whether it's full or not.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 08-12-2021 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Correction
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 02:31 PM   #16
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
With the torque tube front bell fitting up to the metal ball cap, it makes it difficult to get the lube to flow from the outer clam shells all the way in to the u-joint cavity. A person has to make sure that there is a direct flow path just to get it to flow in there at all. I don't know how folks with no speedo drive fitting can tell if the lube is going in there or not. The overdrive fabricators should have made allowance for that due to the importance of having a window in there.
The grease fitting is on the transmission rear bearing retainer and pointed directly at the u-joint. The torque tube bell and clam shells are back farther. There is nothing in the way of the lube getting into the u-joint cavity.

Last edited by The Master Cylinder; 08-11-2021 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-11-2021, 02:49 PM   #17
Gold Digger

I can tell you where the grease that I was pumping into the u-joint housing was disappearing to for the last couple years. Into the drive shaft tube. I noticed that my u-joint had a little not much slack in it so I pulled the rear end to check things out. Well the u-joint was needing changed because it was the original that couldn't be rebuilt. Also I noticed some wear in my drive line bearing so I took that all apart. I found all the grease that had disappeared in the bottom side of my drive line tube.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:54 PM   #18
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Digger View Post
I can tell you where the grease that I was pumping into the u-joint housing was disappearing to for the last couple years. Into the drive shaft tube. I noticed that my u-joint had a little not much slack in it so I pulled the rear end to check things out. Well the u-joint was needing changed because it was the original that couldn't be rebuilt. Also I noticed some wear in my drive line bearing so I took that all apart. I found all the grease that had disappeared in the bottom side of my drive line tube.
Where did you get your U-joint from? Part number, or description? About what did you pay for the part? Are you satisfied with it now that you have driven it?
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:46 PM   #19
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
I have the same question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you start with a completely clean u joint cavity its much easier to pack the crap out of the u joint and cavity while assembling. You can easily fit vast majority of a can of grease in there so about the majority of a tube of grease if doing by hand. How good are your knuckles/ hand stregth?
Old 08-13-2021, 09:09 AM   #20
Patrick L.

Depending on the rear transmitter bearing determines how the u-joint is lubed. An original bearing allows trans oil to lube the bearing and seeps thru into the u-joint housing. That mixes with the grease to make a sloppy goop that splashes around in there.

If newer type sealed bearings have been installed then lube relies on just the grease

Quite a few folks have pumped tubes of grease into the transmitter as well as the rear tube. I don't think it hurts the rear tube, but, the trans doesn't like it and its kind of a PITA to clean it out. On the bright side, it does it good to flush it and add new oil every now and again.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote