Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-24-2022, 09:21 AM   #1
Bob Bidonde

Default Mitchel Overdrive In A Victoria

I watched Paul Shinn on You Tube praise the virtues of the Mitchel overdrive in his Model A's. My Victoria is a cruiser, so I am thinking about adding an overdrive to her. However, I hear that the Mitchel overdrive installation in a Victoria is unusual. I would like to hear from a 190A owner who has a Mitchel overdrive if this is true or not.
Old 06-24-2022, 09:35 AM   #2
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: Mitchel Overdrive In A Victoria

Bob the only difference is the O/D is set farther forward on the torque tube toward the front in order to clear the floor pan. It is set back for the Slant Window Fordors.

I believe they are about 6-7 months out now. A friend ordered his around the first of January 2022 and was told "by the end of July". They got whacked by Covid and supply issues like most.

Call Steve or Cindy to get the lowdown. Good people. https://mitchelloverdrives.com

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 06-26-2022 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Corrected for my mistaken info.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:07 AM   #3
jeepguy1948

You have never dealt with anybody nicer than Steve and Cindy, I promise you. By the way, I think that my wait is down to 2 months ;-)
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:55 AM   #4
Tom Endy

The Mitchell overdrive is available in three versions. (1) the standard, (2) the one for the Victoria, A-400, and 31 Phaeton, (3) the one for some 31 town sedans with a toolbox floor pan under the front seat.

The one for the Victoria is positioned on the drive line 4.5 inches forward of the standard to clear the front of the dropped floor pan. You can measure the length of the stub shaft to see the difference, it is 4.5 inches longer. It also has the top rear corner of the transmission housing machined off at an angle to provide more clearance for the front of the dropped floor pan. However, it is close, and it does cause problems going over a bump and if you have passengers in the back seat. Replacing the rear 8-leaf spring with a 10-leaf will add a little more clearance. It is also advisable to glue a strip of rubber along the machined corner in case you do bottom out. If it were my Victoria, I would remove the dropped floor pan and have the front of it sectioned to well clear the overdrive. I had to do this to my Victoria many years ago when I installed a Ryan overdrive in it. The Ryan overdrive bolts right to the front of the banjo.

A Mitchell overdrive configured for a Victoria will easily fit a standard Model A.

The overdrive for some 31 town sedans is positioned 1.5 inches toward the rear. The stub shaft is that much shorter.

My grandson has a 30 Tudor that we installed a toolbox floor pan in it called a Tudor basement just foreword of the back seat. It straddles the torque tube. We engineered it so that a Mitchell Victoria configured overdrive will fit in the car.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:01 AM   #5
Dale'45

Bob,
Ordered ours last August and had it delivered in early April after we returned from Florida.
The whole transaction from order to delivery was nothing less than perfect. Packaging was very well done with no damage in shipping.
This is one of the first kits I ever used that needed no modification or extra parts. I did ours (30 coupe) in about eight hours by myself.
Ours is the 26% overdrive model and our stock engine and 3.78 gears handles it well. What a delight to cruise with. Dale
Dale'45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:41 PM   #6
jw hash

Tom is right on, I put a Mitchell in my Victoria with a 3,54 R&P and it did not have enough power to handle the overdrive, and it would hit the floor when going over a bump, I pulled the Mitchell back out and installed it in my SW 160 A with a 3,78 rear end and love it .
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 07:30 AM   #7
Gil Sissons

We installed the Mitchell in our Vicky several years ago.
Could not be happier. At time of purchase told them it was going in a Vicky....
Bolted right up.
Gil. NoCal
Gil Sissons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:58 AM   #8
Bob Bidonde

I asked Cyndi Mitchell about installing a Mitchell OD in my 190A, and she sent me the following reply,

"When we build a Mitchell Overdrive for the Victoria we move the unit ahead 4 1/2" of the standard Model A position. Also we shave down the air fins on top on the top back of the unit for clearance. Some Victoria car owners have had to change to the 10 leaf springs for clearance when their vehicle is full.
The freight would be approximately $180.00. Also, our lead time right now is a solid 5 months plus. Give us a call if we can be of further assistance."

My 190A is strictly built for long distance touring, so there will be a Mitchell OD in my future, but I need to grow my piggy bank first. A ballpark cost estimate is $3000, so I will have to sell some of my Model "A" & "B" parts stash.
Thanks all for your responses. I am hooked!
Old 06-26-2022, 12:20 PM   #9
Big hammer

You will be hooked! second standard to second over is nice, sweet, well needed!
Old 06-26-2022, 12:46 PM   #10
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
My 190A is strictly built for long distance touring, so there will be a Mitchell OD in my future, but I need to grow my piggy bank first. A ballpark cost estimate is $3000, so I will have to sell some of my Model "A" & "B" parts stash.
I see the price has gone up some since I ordered mine a couple of years ago. Good thing is if you order it now you can save enough soda cans in 6 months to pay for it.

I'm thinking of doing the same for a Mitchell synchro transmission to go with my Mitchell O/D. I just can't decide if I really need it or not. Using the O/D as a gear splitter really improves things but it would be nice to have 2nd and 3rd closer together.

Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 02:09 PM   #11
Big hammer

The Mitchell transmission comes with different gearing, mines has1&2 15% over, 1st to 1st over drive there isn’t much use, wish 1st was standard, 2nd 15 % is nice. I’am still training myself on down shifting, 3rd standard to 2nd over drive just doesn’t happen in my head lol, and remembering that I can down shift into 2nd without grinding gears happens late most of the time.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:52 PM   #12
Gene F

An overdrive, with cast iron drums just makes the car so much more useful.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote