Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-06-2022, 05:13 PM   #1
Fred A

Default '40 Grill Side Panels

With a somewhat early ID number of 5304..., I feel that the side panels should be of the first louver design. Fine examples of final design are abundant, but because of the supply chain issue, prices have really gone up. The first, early design panel is even worse. The theme of this car is "How well can I get it back on the road for less money" The high- priced components like the engine (59A) and running gear are what came with the car, then inspected. I work hard to avoid non- essential spending. I compensate by going to as many swap meets as practical. It is a slow process. So why the explanation?

I bought distressed early grill parts with hopes weld some of it together. Perhaps there are other guys that have gone this route also. A starting assembly with the rusty bottom panels riveted to the cross bar, may be the start of my assembly. The plan is to connect (weld) the best of the rustless donor bottoms to complete the panels. There is a question in here somewhere.

If others have done this, how did you hold the pieces together accurately for the weld? I assume the weld is at the base of the lowest louver, or where better? Would I be well off to remove the rivets from the cross bar? Something I've forgotten?

This would be much easier is I didn't want the earlier pieces. Were I to cheat this point would anyone else care? It may be like the ashtrays, another issue from the GAS department. Thanks: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 05:44 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: '40 Grill Side Panels

I have repaired numerous panels. Sold a NOS pair of early panels last year. High bid was less than $100.
Fred, most guys don't care. Even more, most don't have a clue what is correct and what is not.
Old 06-06-2022, 06:05 PM   #3
19Fordy

Fred, Do yourself a HUGE favor and save a ton of frustration and work by buying the side panels on Ebay. Very reasonable price. As they align the front sheet metal of your car you want to get them in the very best condition possible and correctly shaped. Their correct size and fit is essential.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...anels&_sacat=0

You could sandblast the chrome, prime it and then paint.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 06-06-2022 at 06:25 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 01:34 AM   #4
Fred A

I'm still looking for a better solution. The LA Roadster swap meet will be a good hunting ground. The "shiny roadsters", not so much. Thanks for the interest: Fred A
Old 06-07-2022, 09:03 AM   #5
19Fordy

Fred, If you do decide to repair and weld the louvred panels that you have, you will have to do it with the grille and side panels fitted in place on the car to make sure the fenders and hood fit properly.

If you do a Fordbarn Swap Meet SEARCH for "1940 Ford grille"
you will see several pieces for sale. Contact those folks and ask if they have been sold. perhaps the seller may have acquired another set or know where a set is located for sale.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 06-07-2022 at 09:10 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 12:31 PM   #6
Fred A

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The LA Roadsters swap was well supplied with side panels, all late or repro late. Swappers and swap vendors felt much more welcome than before. So many empty swap spaces. Serious buyers were also scarce. Now that the club is back in control, I hope the shiny roadster craze is updated. Swappers won't get any respect if we aren't bringing in the money. I sold well only because I had the good stuff. Thank the Roadsters: Fred A