Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-11-2022, 05:57 PM   #1
Woodie1

Default 1939 toe in

Our 1939 may have more repairs needed. I have 1 front wheel that looks to be pointed straight ahead & 1 that the front of the tire points outward. It does not look straight. I've been trying to set the toe in with a spring loaded rod. I can't seem to get anywhere. I 'm wondering if I have a drag link adjust issue also. What do you use to set the toe in?
Woodie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 07:36 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: 1939 toe in

Woodie: The drag link is used to center the steering wheel left to right. Here's some info.
https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/pr...18&Topic=13228

Here's a ton of good info: re: toe in.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
and
https://www.google.com/search?q=1940...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Here's a really good video of how to set toe using a toe-in gauge. It explains the concept of toe-in really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdNb-NU9vf0

Last edited by 19Fordy; 06-11-2022 at 08:03 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 08:25 PM   #3
Woodie1

I've read a lot of these 19Fordy. Some I can understand. I'm wondering if I need to remove the drag link & set the toe in then set the drag link up to center the steering wheel.
Woodie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:05 PM   #4
39portlander

Toe in is easier than you think...start with your vehicle up on jack stands. Check if you have 1/8th inward on the front compared to the back @ 3 and 9 O'clock.

Raised up off the floor turn your steering wheel all the way to the left, now count how many turns all the way to the right, divide in half.

Your steering wheel should now be centered. Mark it and have a helper hold it in that position while you measure and adjust the rest.

Plumb bobs off the frame to a center mark on the floor will also be a nice reference point. A piece of that Ram board or thin cardboard taped down to your floor works nice.

I find it easy to measure the inside tread edges of my tires in the front and then in the back, to double check measure the outside edges of the tires front and back @ 3 and 9 O'clock. You will get the same result if you measure @ the center of the tread.

Either way you should have an 1/8th difference between the front and back and that thing will go straight down the road and turn with two fingers all day long.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:32 PM   #5
cas3

I dont use the tire tread as a measuring point, its not accurate. I was taught in school to spin the wheel while spraying a paint line around it, then spin again with a scribe to make a fine line to measure off. I dont do that any more, but instead wrap the tire with a loop of masking tape, spin the wheel and mark a line with a fine magic marker pen. Then, I made a simple tool from water pipe with two adjustable pointers so I can do it by myself. Just as easy with a helper and a tape measure. For ease, I do it up in the air, but it should be checked again when there is weight on it, it may change a bit indicating the king pin bushings are not as good as they could be
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 12:45 AM   #6
ford38v8

I agree with cas3 on the accuracy of a scribed line on the spinning tire. Lots of ways to skin a cat, but accurate measurements in this operation are a must.
Old 06-12-2022, 06:20 AM   #7
69a

stick a pin in the front of each tire, make your measurement and roll the car back to a point where you can take your second measurement. they don't need to be 180 deg. but as close as you can get.
69a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 04:38 PM   #8
19Fordy

You don't have to disconnect the drag link to set toe in.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 06:03 AM   #9
Terry,OH

Adjust the Tie Rod for the proper toe adjustment. One side of the Tie rod is LH thread the other end is RH thread so turning the rod one way will shorten the assembled rod length and turning the other way will lengthen it.

Adjusting the length of the drag link will center the steering wheel so it is centered while driving straight ahead. The original 39 drag link length has to be adjusted by removing the tie rod end from the spindle then screw the tie rod end in or out of the drag link. In 1941 Ford came out with an adjustment sleeve on the drag link so the tie rod end did not have to be removed to adjusted. This 41 drag link fit the Fords back to 1935 and were used as a replacement so your drag link may have the adjustable sleeve.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 05:00 PM   #10
alchemy

Turning the tie rod sleeve or the drag link adjuster sleeve will make 1/9" (a hair over 1/8") of difference in one revolution.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote