Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2020, 05:22 PM   #1
Doctor's Ford

Default What to check on a 46 Mercury

Hello FordBarners. Some of you may remember me from a few years ago when I posted all the restoration process of my 33 Tudor. After a pause of nearly 4 years I am now ready for a “new” FOMOCO car and found a 46 four door Mercury within my reach and budget. I will check it this weekend and since I know little of this vintage wanted your advice on what to check to make sure is not modified or missing important parts. Please advice on both mechanical components and the cosmetic parts, trim and so on. I want a stock car, not modified or customized and being informed will be the best way to make sure I get the real deal. Please brainstorm a list I can bring with me when looking at the car. I know it had been repainted and body appears solid. I did not receive any pictures of the engine but have a few of the body and interior that will try to upload tonight when I get home. Thank you everyone! Manuel

Last edited by Doctor's Ford; 12-23-2020 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Correction of my location
Doctor's Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:35 PM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: What to check on a 46 Mercury

Manuel.....Have you moved to the U. S. A. from Paraguay? If so, a huge WELCOME! Do you still own that beautiful '33? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:53 PM   #3
Doctor's Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post

Manuel.....Have you moved to the U. S. A. from Paraguay? If so, a huge WELCOME! Do you still own that beautiful '33? DD
Yeah, your memory is sharp ! considering Paraguay is not in my Avatar anymore. I am back in less tropical land in South Dakota. Still own the 33 model B which - in my biased opinion - is a car with such a beautiful design.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:37 PM   #4
Doctor's Ford

Default Re: What to check on a 46 Mercury?

These are the available pictures. Talked to seller today, a used car dealer, and he promised to send me photos of the engine tomorrow. Does it look stock and correct for a 46? Is this an original Mercury color? Wheels and covers? Notice there is a spot on the driver's side but no side mirror. It is weird that the restorer put a spot light but no mirror.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1946 Mercury 1.jpg (81.2 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg 1946 Mercury 2.jpg (81.4 KB, 398 views)
File Type: jpg 1946 Mercury 3.jpg (77.7 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg 1946 Mercury 4.jpg (71.8 KB, 392 views)
File Type: jpg 1946 Mercury 5.jpg (65.2 KB, 398 views)
File Type: jpg 1946 Mercury 6.jpg (49.9 KB, 93 views)
Old 12-23-2020, 11:31 PM   #5
petehoovie

Default Re: What to check on a 46 Mercury?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor's Ford View Post
These are the available pictures. Talked to seller today, a used car dealer, and he promised to send me photos of the engine tomorrow. Does it look stock and correct for a 46? Is this an original Mercury color? Wheels and covers? Notice there is a spot on the driver's side but no side mirror. It is weird that the restorer put a spot light but no mirror.

You won't have to be concerned with Babbitt Bearings with this one....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:35 PM   #6
fordor41

Not an expert on Merc's but looks pretty stock and complete. As for drivers side mirrors,
I've found them pretty much useless on 41'-48 FOMOCO's. they vibrate terrible and can't really see much. vent window obstructs the view. Passenger side forget it!!
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:43 PM   #7
petehoovie

Is it a local South Dakota car? If so, rust would be my biggest concern. Get it up in the air and inspect the undercarriage....

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 12-24-2020, 12:08 AM   #8
FortyNiner

The biggest issue is rust. Best to check the trunk floor - especially if it has the tool compartment feature, the running boards, and the rocker panels. The bumpers look better than new and may have had some work done on them. Interior looks correct and usable. The pictures look good.
Old 12-24-2020, 12:08 AM   #9
Doctor's Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
Is it a local South Dakota car? If so, rust would be my biggest concern. Get it up in the air and inspect the undercarriage....
I live in Western SD at the foot of the Black Hills. Climate here is very dry and minimal use of salt in the winter. Very different than Eastern South Dakota at the border with MN. Car is in northern Colorado, a few hours from me. Yes, I will certainly get under the car to check.

I was given this serial number: 24G21452. How can I use this number to identify the actual production year and model features? If you look at the grille on this car, it is a 47 (the frame of the grille is chromed rather than painted as it was in 46) but other trim and chrome pieces are correct for 46. I wonder if this is a grille from a later year placed during restoration?

Can this be a Canadian production? Don't know if there was such a thing, just asking.
Old 12-24-2020, 12:20 AM   #10
petehoovie

I see the car at this site > https://www.classic.com/veh/1946-mer...21452-v4oJ2vp/

Excellent pictures here (including engine compartment)> https://www.mecum.com/lots/DN0719-37...ury-69m-sedan/

STATUS: $7,500 HIGH BID · Jul 12, 2019 - Was not marked as SOLD though....https://www.mecum.com/auctions/denver-2019/lots/

VIN: 24G21452

This 1946 Mercury 69M Sedan was last listed at the Mecum Denver (2019) classic car auction on Jul 12, 2019
View more about this vehicle's history and comps below.

Last edited by petehoovie; 12-24-2020 at 01:30 AM.
Old 12-24-2020, 12:39 AM   #11
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

Shouldn't the park lights be up in the catwalk ?
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 01:33 AM   #12
Doctor's Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoopNZ View Post
Shouldn't the park lights be up in the catwalk ?
Good point. I searched more and I think this is a Canadian model, the so called Mercury 114 (for the 114" wheelbase as oppossed to the 118" of US model).It is a Ford with a Mercury Grille, but different from the US version in the following:

1) Park lights are rounded and under headlight (Canadian)
Park lights rectangular and higher closer to the center (US)
2) Center of Grille has the head of the Roman God Mercury (Canadian)
Center of Grille has the word Eight in vertical line (US)
3) Trim on side of front fender does not reach headlights (Canadian)
Trim on the side of fenders gets to the headlights (US)

These differences can be appreciated comparing these 2 photos (red US and maroon Canada). Granted, the God head and the word Eight are not very visible but I could see them clearly in other sets of photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1946 Mercury 2.jpg (81.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg US Mercury 1946 - 1.jpg (62.4 KB, 54 views)
Old 12-24-2020, 01:34 AM   #13
deuce lover

Welcome back Manuel ! Nice car. Did you bring your '33 to SD?
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 01:35 AM   #14
Doctor's Ford

Knowing that is Canadian, can anyone help decoding the serial number 24G21452? Not even sure if is a correct number but need to give a try.
Old 12-24-2020, 01:42 AM   #15
Doctor's Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
Welcome back Manuel ! Nice car. Did you bring your '33 to SD?
Thank you! Had to leave it in South America but in good hands. A daughter who likes old cars is taking care of the 33, fires the engine once per week and takes it for a short spin once a month. Has been doing it for 2 years and the model B engine keeps running great without even a drop of oil leak.
Old 12-24-2020, 08:39 AM   #16
jimTN

If the Merc steers well, stops well, holds fair oil pressure 30 Plus at rpm, drives a short distance at 60mph without heating, you have a fine car. Most of them came with a 3:54 gear in the rear so it will cruise well and get good gas mileage.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:18 AM   #17
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyNiner View Post
The biggest issue is rust. Best to check the trunk floor - especially if it has the tool compartment feature, the running boards, and the rocker panels. The bumpers look better than new and may have had some work done on them. Interior looks correct and usable. The pictures look good.
above is the major areas of concern on the 46-48's, the rockers you really need to get it on a lift to truly inspect them, all along where the running board bolts to the car and area that faces the frame!!! The tool tray area is an easy look from both inside the trunk and from under the back, another area to look is the very front of the rocker section right where the bottom inside of the front fenders meet the body, this is where road grime tented to settle and build up thus holding moister and eventual rust!!! From there, as others have mentioned good oil pressure, running good with no over heating, stops good......Good looking Merc and GOOD Luck.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 11:04 AM   #18
sawzall

the 114 wheelbase means that some parts cross to ford, and you either like the grill or dont. I prefer the larger mercury grille over this, but thats simply a personal attraction..
I have both a fullsize merc and a 46 ford project. yet its interesting that until I studied both of the last two pictures you posted, I thought that the bumpers on 114 merc and the larger were identical. From photos, and considering it futher It appears that the 114 merc might have a bumper Narrower than the larger merc. Personally I havent interacted with a 114 merc so my experience is limited..

I dont want to comment on mechanicals.. as I am largely a hotrodder, but honestly if the rockers are solid, and the trunk floor is solid these cars are hard to beat. it will be a different ride than your previous car, and should feel more solid. acceleration and handling are not on par with today, but not what a model a or T would be.

I don't THINK it should have a tool tray, as I think somewhere in mid 1947 ford did away with that, If you look at it, Id love to see if it does have the tool tray.. fwiw.. having it is not a benefit to me, as my 40 ford (with tooltray) only serves to catch junk I should leave at home anyhow..

Overall, it looks solid, other than the mechanical systems check.. the achilleas heel of these cars really is the rocker box.. so look at that close.. as for the lack of mirror, and the added spotlight the best plan on these cars is really door edge accessory mounted mirrors as the cowl mirrors are useless. as such, it doesn't surprise me that the car doesn't currently have exterior mirrors.
Old 12-24-2020, 01:59 PM   #19
1931 flamingo

From the pics it's a nice looking Merc. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 03:06 PM   #20
Doctor's Ford

Can anybody decode these numbers on the firewall? Just sent to me by the seller. Do they confirm is Canadian?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1946 Mercury 9.jpg (76.0 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg 1946 Mercury 12.jpg (85.4 KB, 42 views)