Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-23-2022, 11:24 PM   #101
GB SISSON

Default Re: Trip

Like so many, I have really enjoyed watching your travels. I just can't get over the distances you travel and the remoteness of the places you go. You are an amazing adventurer and a credit to all that is Early V8 ! I thank you for taking us along.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 12:29 AM   #102
cas3

X2 on that GB
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 01:00 AM   #103
Lawrie

Days travel and sights,
An easy day today,only 65 miles,but a great day.just putted along at about 45 and on a lovely sealed road with hardly any traffic. Stopped for my usual coffee and home made biscuits at 10-30, I took a nice picture of the bush on the roadside, and the 33 , later on I saw a sign to a woolshearing shed ,so I headed in to have a look, it looked like some Roos had got in there in the drought and couldn’t get out,there were about 5 of them, well the carcasses of them,the engine that powered the shed was still there and hooked up the the shearing gear.
I was out of phone reception for a big part of the day and only saw about 3 other vehicles,
I did get some phone service and had the lady from the air charter at Longreach ring, as I’m hopefully going on a flight down to the lake Eyre for the day, in the coming days,so I should have some good pics from that,
Don’t ever let anyone tell you that these old fords are not any good, the 33 hums along allay at 45 or 55 no drama, starts hot or cold with just one push of the starter, 6 volts are the go ,and love the sound of the starter.
I should be in Longreach tomorrow and back to some sort of civilisation, that will be an adjustment.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:53 AM   #104
'36 5W

Ditto here, Lawrie! Hats off to you and the faith you have in
Old Reliable!
Here's hoping you have more adventures in store....
'36 5W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 12:28 PM   #105
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
Days travel and sights,
An easy day today,only 65 miles,but a great day.just putted along at about 45 and on a lovely sealed road with hardly any traffic. Stopped for my usual coffee and home made biscuits at 10-30, I took a nice picture of the bush on the roadside, and the 33 , later on I saw a sign to a woolshearing shed ,so I headed in to have a look, it looked like some Roos had got in there in the drought and couldn’t get out,there were about 5 of them, well the carcasses of them,the engine that powered the shed was still there and hooked up the the shearing gear.
I was out of phone reception for a big part of the day and only saw about 3 other vehicles,
I did get some phone service and had the lady from the air charter at Longreach ring, as I’m hopefully going on a flight down to the lake Eyre for the day, in the coming days,so I should have some good pics from that,
Don’t ever let anyone tell you that these old fords are not any good, the 33 hums along allay at 45 or 55 no drama, starts hot or cold with just one push of the starter, 6 volts are the go ,and love the sound of the starter.
I should be in Longreach tomorrow and back to some sort of civilisation, that will be an adjustment.
Lawrie

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 01:23 PM   #106
cas3

Interesting sheep shed. Line shaft driven by the small diesel, and I am guessing some sort of cable driven shears to shear the wool. It would have been heavy and awkward compared to the modern battery run jobs. I have watched these pro's do the shearing, its amazing the skill and speed they have. Thanks again Lawrie, happy travels
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 01:31 AM   #107
Lawrie

Just a reminder of the critters that inhabit the area I’m traveling in,and me in bare feet taking this pic
220 ks today,three other vehicles,great travel,
An observation today is fuel usage is more at 40-45 than 50-55 mph
I’m in Longreach now for a few days,hopefully I will get a seat on the flight down to lake Eyre tomorrow,if not then the next day
Petrol this arvo was 2.26 per litre.
Lawrie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 99826435-E01E-4598-9F3B-563F7AE1F0CC.jpg (79.9 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg C67166F5-94DF-42A7-B864-37702DBF144A.jpg (72.0 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg 6EF0A489-ED04-432A-A29B-4B19D4D97532.jpg (42.1 KB, 246 views)
Old 06-26-2022, 03:11 PM   #108
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
Just a reminder of the critters that inhabit the area I’m traveling in,and me in bare feet taking this pic
220 ks today,three other vehicles,great travel,
An observation today is fuel usage is more at 40-45 than 50-55 mph
I’m in Longreach now for a few days,hopefully I will get a seat on the flight down to lake Eyre tomorrow,if not then the next day
Petrol this arvo was 2.26 per litre.
Lawrie

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 12:05 AM   #109
Tinker

Neat old factory with the throttler and belt system.

at 2.26 a liter that's about 9$ a gallon. In the states we export 15% of our oil. There is no way oil companies would inflate prices here for profit.

Thanks for the pictures! A real adventure.

Last edited by Tinker; 06-27-2022 at 01:04 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 06:09 AM   #110
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

What you have done is what most of us just dream of doing but never do.I guess I am oe of them. I must thank you for taking the time making us dream of your adventure. God be with you until your next adventure. Thank you. I guess jolly good.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 07:58 AM   #111
Ray in La Mesa

I love following your trip. I reminds me of my cross the USA trip in 1973 in my 1928 Model A roadster pickup from San Diego to New Hampshire & back, 9,000. miles in seven weeks.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 01:45 AM   #112
Lawrie

Last few days,
The last few days have been the best so far,yesterday I went on a small aeroplane flight down to lake Eyre, an all day tour, stopping at some interesting places, like the :dig tree: the place were explorer burk and wills perished in the 1860,s
We landed on just a dirt strip of graded sand,then on to Inaminka for smoko , then Birdsville for lunch at the pub, and a beer for me.
We flew over two huge river systems out here, the Cooper and the Diamantina,these were in full flow and is something special after the drought, they merged and the water was 60 klms wide as you can see in the pics,we went as low as 150 feet and saw the water actually flowing into lake Eyre which is some thing VERY special,this water flows all the way to South Australia then to the sea,the water was full of mobs of pelicans and we were so low ,out the window I see a wedge tail eagle that is above us and just floating around,
I left for the airport at 6 am and the temp was 3 deg C , the 33 cranked over a bit slower than normal but fired up ok,and got back at just on dark so a big day.
What I realised from the flight is how big this country is ,from horizon to horizon as flat as and we went from green country to red gibberish stone desert to red sandy desert to the vast expanse of the Lake Eyre,
The merged rivers were flooding the causeway and was 3 mtrs deep,over it, so the vehicles were stuck on each sides , they said it would be some 3 or more weeks before it receded
I had and easy day today doing some grocery shopping and answering questions about the 33 when it was passed in town,
I’m off to muttaburra, where they found a very large dynosaur skeleton, for a few days ,
Lawrie
Old 06-28-2022, 02:16 AM   #113
Lawrie

Last few days
Lawrie

Last edited by Lawrie; 06-28-2022 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Double post
Old 06-28-2022, 03:26 AM   #114
mercman from oz

Lawrie's trip by air to see Lake Ayre
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 03:27 AM   #115
mercman from oz

Photo of Ford Model T on Barge
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:12 AM   #116
Kpar

Lawrie If your starting to head home via Muttaburra watch your back, big clouds coming.
Hope your 33 doesn't leak like mine did a while back.
Keith
Kpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 07:37 AM   #117
Terry,OH

Thank you for taking me along through your photos.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:55 PM   #118
Lawrie

Keith, heading to muttaburra this morning.yes looks like some rain coming,33 doesn’t leak much, just a little around the front screen
How you going well.
Lawrie

Last edited by Lawrie; 06-28-2022 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-28-2022, 05:08 PM   #119
Kpar

Yes been better, but also been a lot worse
Lyn & I are both doing OK.
Keith
Kpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 07:02 PM   #120
VeryTangled

Lawrie, Thanks again for letting us into the back seat.

When you mention the name of a place I enjoy looking on the satellite and reading up a bit. Muttaburra seems just like the kind of place to put on the list of road stops!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muttaburra

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote