Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2022, 06:39 PM   #1
TLOHM

Default 1936 Pickup Grille Dimensions

I have a couple of 1936 Ford Pickup grille shells. One is a complete shell with grille, but it's got some metal damage on the lower portion of the shell. The other appears descent but someone had cut out the grille. I haven't sandblasted but it looks like its had some body work done. Between the pari of them I can end up with a good shell and grille, but I need information on original dimensions across the shell. Attached are measurements on the two shells. Right side is the shell without the grille; Left is the damaged shell with easy repairable grille.

Can anyone provide dimensions that will help me get the grille worked to its correct form? These measurement were taken across the shell at the various bolt attachment locations. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1936 Ford Grille Measures.jpg (25.9 KB, 27 views)
TLOHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 06:57 PM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: 1936 Pickup Grille Dimensions

Looks like two different grills from the measurements you give. Photos would help, especially from the side or an angled shot showing the side and part of the "grill" as you are calling it. I believe the correct nomenclature would be "the bars".

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:00 PM   #3
Model51

The radiator attachment points should give you a couple reference points for dimensions of the rear edge. Also, 1935 and 1936 grille shells have the same rear edge dimensions. I have a copy of the grille shell drawing from the Ford archives but I recall it being very faint. Send me a PM and I'll share the drawings I have in case you can read the dimensional information.
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:02 PM   #4
Model51

If your grille still has the little hole around the front inner edge used to attach the stainless steel trim, then I can send you the dimensions between the holes.
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:48 PM   #5
highbeams

Gee, I thought '35 & '36 were identical grilles!(actually the entire '36 was identical to '35 w/the exception, the '35 had wire wheels.

Your correction(s) welcome. (I had the '36 dealer demo.)
highbeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 11:26 PM   #6
CA Victoria

While measurements will help to build a jig I would suggest buying a woodworkers curve copy tool to help compare the curves side to side.
The lower section from where the 5/16 fender bolt comes thru from the fender down to the chin is complex. The front of mine was pressed in 1/2”. Using the copy tool I was able to measure the good side & make a wood buck on the Bridgeport to re shape the damaged side.
There has to be some serious metal movement to account for 1” deviation over that short of span.
Old 06-27-2022, 06:05 AM   #7
oldandtired

The grill that goes on the 36 pickups has holes in the bottom of the chin for attaching a below grill pan that is not present in the 35-pickup grill since the 35 does not have that pan under the grill. If you have grill chin damage, it might help to know the distance between and the number of those holes when attempting to rebuild or reshape the chin.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:04 AM   #8
TLOHM

Model 51 - Yes, I have the holes on the inner edge where the stainless trim would attached.

oldandtired - The grille pan attachment holes, on the bottom of the chin, are indicated on the drawing provided in my original post. These are center-to-center distance between the inner and outer sets of holes.

I have an aftermarket radiator and the side attachment measure-out to 22-1/4", which both shells measure at the top connection, so I assume that is the correct side-to-side measurement. I agree the lower three attachments to the fenders is where the action is. You will note that the shell with bars, (Thanks Lawson), struck something hard, but it has a good set of bars. The empty shell has had some body work, so I'm just not sure about the bend at the bottom of the chin, whether it's been compressed or not. Between the two of them I think I've got a good complete grille.

Attached are additional photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grille Faceoff.jpg (103.6 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Grille Lower Damage.jpg (89.6 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Grille Shell Only.jpg (79.6 KB, 75 views)
TLOHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 12:41 PM   #9
CA Victoria

IMO you are further ahead to save the complete grill. Since it is mainly that one side damaged, and albeit not the easiest section to work out, it is not unreasonable to repair. I had similar issues and wasn’t interested in a concourse outcome. I restored the shape, re shaped grill bars, and replaced some missing ones.

There are some good metal shapers in the audience yet to weigh in.

PM if you are interested in photos of the tools I used on mine.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:42 PM   #10
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLOHM View Post
Model 51 - Yes, I have the holes on the inner edge where the stainless trim would attached.

oldandtired - The grille pan attachment holes, on the bottom of the chin, are indicated on the drawing provided in my original post. These are center-to-center distance between the inner and outer sets of holes.

I have an aftermarket radiator and the side attachment measure-out to 22-1/4", which both shells measure at the top connection, so I assume that is the correct side-to-side measurement. I agree the lower three attachments to the fenders is where the action is. You will note that the shell with bars, (Thanks Lawson), struck something hard, but it has a good set of bars. The empty shell has had some body work, so I'm just not sure about the bend at the bottom of the chin, whether it's been compressed or not. Between the two of them I think I've got a good complete grille.

Attached are additional photos.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 01:49 AM   #11
deuce lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by highbeams View Post
Gee, I thought '35 & '36 were identical grilles!(actually the entire '36 was identical to '35 w/the exception, the '35 had wire wheels.

Your correction(s) welcome. (I had the '36 dealer demo.)

Here you can see the many differences. Thicker grille sides-hence different ornament , different hood sides & V8 emblem location,"A" pillar where it meets the cowl,bumper fold over ends to name a few besides the wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1935 pickup.jpg (88.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 1936 pickup.jpg (85.6 KB, 52 views)
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 03:34 AM   #12
mercman from oz

1935 Ford Pickup

1936 Ford Pickup

1935 and 1936 Ford Grilles compared - thanks to deuce lover
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote