Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-17-2022, 07:36 AM   #1
metro1

Default Windshield installation '59 Galaxie

My present windshield is broken so I bought another from a parted out car. I can get the old one out but how difficult is it to properly install the new one? I want to remove the old one and clean up and paint the gasket area first. I viewed a few Youtube videos and it looks a bit challenging. I'm debating if I should try it myself or pay someone else to do it. I have already bought a new gasket from Steele Rubber Products. Being as this is a project car I want to do all I can myself but I would hate to end up with a windshield leak.
metro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:00 AM   #2
58Yeoman

Default Re: Windshield installation '59 Galaxie

I've installed a lot of windows in VW's using the rope method by myself, but they are small windows. I also used the rope method on my 58 Chevy with a friend helping with me pushing lightly from the outside while she pulled the rope from the inside. My windshield cracked right down the middle. Original w/s using a new rubber gasket. It was the early 90's and I found a brand new w/s that was made in Africa, and it went in great using the same method and friend.

It's your call, but if you're worried, it might be better to have an installer do it. That is, if you can find one that is familiar with that style w/s. Good luck either way.
58Yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:53 AM   #3
rotorwrench

A lot depends on the condition of the rubber seal. The rubber can get pretty stiff after many years. Hopefully the pinch weld there is still corrosion free. Some cars rust there depending on environment and how well the seal worked.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 09:07 AM   #4
KULTULZ

Post Re: Windshield installation '59 Galaxie

Quote:
I want to remove the old one and clean up and paint the gasket area first.
It's a two man job. If unsure, clean and paint the flange and let the glass man do the install.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 09:28 AM   #5
5851a

Not sure about your area but around here no one will cover the install of owner supplied glass against breakage on install. I used to rope in windows almost every day at work. Make sure it's a nice warm/hot day and rubber is flexible, soak the rope in soapy water, lots of soapy water to spray on rubber and opening. Definitely find a helper or 2 with the big wrap around style. Go slow and steady and don't be afraid to stop and pull it back out to reposition and try again. Watch several tube videos ahead of time.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 10:32 AM   #6
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Windshield installation '59 Galaxie

Quote:
Not sure about your area but around here no one will cover the install of owner supplied glass against breakage on install.
And that is another little caveat (Fr.)

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 06-18-2022, 11:43 AM   #7
metro1

The videos I watched were using a sealant in a caulking gun. They claimed it was necessary to insure no leaks. Seemed to make the job a lot more of a mess. That would be a concern as to how much to use.
Old 06-18-2022, 04:57 PM   #8
5851a

The sealant is a huge mess to deal with. 3M or possibly others make flowable sealants to use after installation for leaks if you need to. Just make sure pinch weld areas are smooth and flat no open seams in sheet metal. If the rubber gasket doesn't lay flat on the body due to fit you may need sealant after a leak check. Only used sealant once on install trying to follow the book method, what a mess on a completely assembled car. A departed friend bough new 66 Mustang, windshield leaked a few drops, dealer fixed and cured leak with the sealant. The sealant oozed out around gasket for the rest of the cars life.
Old 06-18-2022, 05:00 PM   #9
5851a

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMsdfQ2BDus A little over exaggerated and a nylon body stick works instead of a pick, but same wrap around type glass. Speed up to 9 minute mark for install.
Old 06-18-2022, 06:36 PM   #10
metro1

Good video. I assume he is using cotton rope so it will absorb the soapy solution. It looks to be about 1/4 ".
Old 06-19-2022, 09:17 AM   #11
5851a

I use that synthetic type rope, Nylon, but looks like cotton and feels like silk. The kind you have to melt the ends to keep it from unraveling, it will absorb soapy water. Like a chamois the more times you use it the better it gets, probably been using the same one here for 40+ years.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:44 AM   #12
metro1

Has anyone had one to leak if not using sealant? If so how do you fix it ?
Old 06-19-2022, 01:22 PM   #13
KULTULZ

Post Re: Windshield installation '59 Galaxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro1 View Post

Has anyone had one to leak if not using sealant? If so how do you fix it ?
If it leaks, you put your head under the dash (laying upside down on the front seat) and have someone run a garden hose over it until you see the leak. You then use a tube of glass sealant (black) with a fine tip and run sealant under the leaking area.

- WHY IS IT ... -