Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2022, 09:28 AM   #1221
katy

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Other kinds of bowsers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowser_(tanker)
Old 05-03-2022, 03:45 PM   #1222
woofa.express

[I]Hi Kity. Yes there are several types. Several with the glass bowl on top but most early bowsers have a clock type hand. A large range can be found on the internet under fuel pump history or similar name. I would think now they have developed like Kansas City (musical Oklahoma). Now here is some history of an earlier fuel pump and why we know them as bowsers.

Yes 40 Deluxe, a bowser is a fuel pump named after the inventor- Mr Bowser who was an American. It seams the name “Bowser” skipped your country and generation. ?
In my childhood I don’t remember buying fuel at a service station because I grew up on a farm with a petrol tractor and fuel was delivered by a tanker which filled our 44 gal drums. We would fill our tractors and motorcar with a pint stroke hand pump. When I left school and went to work the earliest fuel pumps I remember were those like in the picture.
At a service station the buyer or attendant would pump, by hand, the fuel into a large glass cylinder on top of the pump cabinet. The amount the buyer wished to purchase was preselected by a slide on the side of the pump cabinet and calibrated by 1 gallon (imperial) notches. A vertical overflow pipe in the glass cylinder directly connected to this slide returned excess back to the underground tank regardless of how much was pumped.
Delivery to the motorcar, or whatever was just the same as we know it today, without the auto shut off hand piece of course.
These bowsers have long gone because we measure in metric but mainly fuel is delivered by electric pumps. We prefer not to exert ourselves these days!

And the name bowser- From Wikipedia-
Sylvanus Freelove Bowser was an American inventor who is widely credited with inventing the automobile fuel pump. Bowser Avenue in his hometown of Fort Wayne, Indiana is named after him. Bowser marketed his patented kerosene pump starting in 1885.

Why is a petrol pump called a bowser?
That's why such pumps in Australia and New Zealand (and to some extent also Canada) are called bowsers, because his firm, S F Bowser & Company, had a thriving export trade to those countries in the early days of motoring.

The three pictures below are 1. Sylvanus Bowser and 2 A Shell bowser that has been restored. 3. This shows the quantity that has been selected (3 gallons) and 4 the flow back pipe to tank with excess after the 3 gallons (in this case) is reached. This bowser is listed on ebay at 8k AUD. They are a collectable these days.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 08:27 PM   #1223
mercman from oz

More old bowsers.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 08:37 PM   #1224
mercman from oz

Early Twin Glass Clock Face Petrol Pump
Old 05-06-2022, 09:50 PM   #1225
mercman from oz

Old Gas Pumps outside Hackberry General Store, Arizona along Historic Route 66
Old 05-07-2022, 03:37 AM   #1226
woofa.express

More about fuel.

When I was running aeroplanes with petrol powered engines and while we were working in the field we carried fuel in 1800 litre tanks which we carried on board the loading trucks. We pumped with a 1 litre per turn hand pump. This was good because both pilot and loader driver’s job is rather inactive and it gave us some exercise. These pumps leaked a little fuel and were always a bit wet and so was the ground beneath. When these trucks weren't in use they were parked in a large shed at my home along with my Model A Tourer I call Olive. End of chapter 1.

At the end of spring when grass hays off a species known locally as arse grass blows in a tumbling way across fields and builds up where it’s passage is obstructed such as fence lines or sheds and sometimes houses. The pictures (from the internet) clearly illustrate. This arse grass had built up inside this big shed to about three foot deep. The big shed in which I had housed these trucks and Olive.

Well I gave the job of cleaning up this grass to my daughter Emily. A silly directive because it was not really practical. But she did an excellent job. She stuck a match and lit it. Remember the fuel pumps leaked and the ground below was damp- (a sort of wick). All vehicles survived. To burn would have been a good idea- had I reversed the trucks and Olive out and clear.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 04.30.14.jpg (20.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 04.33.29.jpg (19.8 KB, 12 views)

Old 05-13-2022, 04:30 PM   #1227
woofa.express

I have had complaints from people, including my family, where I have used their surnames when writing. I'm not that sensitive but others are. For this story I am substituting my family's surname for a phoney. I shall use McDonald because it starts with the letter M; same as ours.
I once had a Cessna 180 and taught my sons to fly in it. I gave that aeroplane
to my youngest son and replaced it with a Piper Cub which I had extensively rebuilt. I had not flown it for the last two years that I had owned it so I gave it to my eldest son Dennis.
The registration was VH-MGN and the rego is pictured below. Dennis's wife whose maiden name was Whitty, (not only Whitty by name but speech as well) took a look at it and said that means Mc Donald Going Nowhere.
Well Dennis hankered for a Cessna 180, so he traded the Cub for one. The manufacturer marketed this model as a Sky Wagon and the previous owner registered it VH-WGN. So now Dennis said it represented Whitty Going Nowhere. It is said what goes around comes around. It seems that could be so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 10.22.49.jpg (3.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 10.23.35.jpg (6.6 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 05-13-2022 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:56 PM   #1228
woofa.express

"Why Is This so? Also posted in thread "Why is this so?"

My brother in Law lives in the coastal town of Rainbow beach where fishing is popular. He, like many have aluminium fishing boats, many suitable for off shore fishing. He spoke about one boat owner who secured his boat (at home) by chaining the trailer to the concrete. As a consequence his aluminium boat was totally destroyed by electrolysis. Destroyed beyond rebuild and was rehoused at the rubbish tip. Well so to speak.
Why was this so? Steel or components in the concrete? Or a shorting battery creating a small current?
I am curious because many aeroplane owners don’t shed their aeroplanes but tie them down to in ground pegs or to pegs set in concrete. Like the boat, aeroplanes are made of aluminium or infact duralumin which is aluminium with a small component of copper and magnesium, but never the less substantially aluminium.
I sent the above to a buddy, an industrial chemist.
Here is his reply.

Aluminium is corroded by high pH, or alkalinity. Cement (depending on mixture and variety) can be very alkaline.

Queensland is our north east state. Known to folk abroad for the “Barrier Reef” and locally for it’s dry red interior. It is 2.6 times larger than Texas. But not quite as wealthy.
[/I][/SIZE]

Old 05-28-2022, 10:54 AM   #1229
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
[SIZE="3"] one boat owner who secured his boat (at home) by chaining the trailer to the concrete. As a consequence his aluminium boat was totally destroyed by electrolysis. Why was this so?
Caused by dissimilar metals and an electrolyte; aluminum boat, steel trailer, steel chain and salt water or spray and/or salt water vapor.

Didn't happen overnight, I would surmise that it sat unused for a long time.
Old 05-29-2022, 07:23 PM   #1230
Jim Brierley

Say hi to Whitty for me!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 08:29 PM   #1231
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
Say hi to Whitty for me!
Hi Jim. will do. gary

Old 05-30-2022, 02:36 AM   #1232
woofa.express

Unreal Expectations.

We have a TV program about farming, grazing infact all the food growing industries. One segment was on banana farming in North Queensland and one grower disposed of 15 ton of fruit each day because it had a blemish or it didn’t have the acceptable bend that the market demanded. End of chapter one.

I don’t enjoy going to town with one exception and that is going to the supermarket where I can buy my favourite food stuffs. Of course. The supermarket is a place where one sees a cross section of the community. The obese people who have a shopping trolley filled with fuzzy sugar drinks. Another extreme is the picky folk. They carefully inspect each item of fruit or vegie. Brockley, potatoes, pumpkin, fruit, plastic packaged meat and more. This irritates me. One practise in particular is to see a customer squeeze an avocado and return it to the shelf leaving it bruised.
Well yesterday I saw a bloke carefully inspecting bananas, one by one. Accepting some, rejecting others. I couldn’t help myself. I explained, with good manners, the disposal of large quantities of bananas in North Queensland because of market rejection. Did I make an impression on him? I’ll never really know will I. I saw a woman squeezing packaged bread. I asked if she found what she wanted and it was no. She was looking for sliced bread and I was pleased to help her.
Because good food is plentiful and relatively cheap people have expectations of pristine quality always been readily available. So out of season fruit is flown in from the Northern Hemisphere. They just can’t do without.
We live in an urban country where most people live far from food producing areas. Few have ever had cow shit between their toes or ever dug a spud. Mostly none don’t even know a farmer.

I read there is only 10 weeks food stored in the world at this time, exasperated by the Ukraine invasion. Some years ago author Julian Cribb predicted mass migration, the likes of which we have never seen before. But not to escape from brutal regimes or for personal opportunities as we currently observe now. But because of chronic food shortages.

So when we sit to eat we should appreciate how fortunate we are and give some thought to the farmer who grew this food. Be grateful. Do accept bananas with a bend of less than 30 degrees and help slow down food wastage.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 17.28.26.jpg (9.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 17.26.14.jpg (5.0 KB, 2 views)

Old 06-01-2022, 08:25 PM   #1233
woofa.express

Apparently New Guinea locals are being trained as pilots. Considerable costs are saved by not using expats.
Here is Arbzoomazangh undergoing type training on a Haviland Beaver. The dress, the type that took your eye is personal choice and the second shot is of new recruits awaiting training.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 04.01.26.jpg (11.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 11.17.38.jpg (21.0 KB, 31 views)

Old 06-04-2022, 01:44 PM   #1234
woofa.express

Why is this so. Findings on my city stay.

Copy Cats follow trends and fashions. They often own race horses that mostly follow other horses, have 4 wheel drive motorcars (that have never been off the bitumen), or kitchen bench coffee makers, watches (time pieces) that report your heart beat or amount of exercise you had today or when you (girls) ovulate. To be seen in up market coffee shops drinking latte coffee and eating Lebanese toast spread with smashed avocado. Use expensive hair stylists, take ship tourers to the Antarctic. And their motorcars must have as many electronic gadgets as it is possible including radios that one can never figure out even in many years of ownership. And of course these motorcars must be electric so as they can be seen saving the planet.
Another recent fad is mobile phones and other electrical devises. Seems like people of both genders and increasingly older folk can’t take a step without one. It takes so much of their attention they will cross the road without looking up and checking for traffic. Many have what looks like little tea spoons in their ears which my grandson tells me are hands free headsets.
Their casual wear has place names written on it, both front and back. Places they must think as exotic but I’m sure they have never been to any of them. Frequently I see “I love N.Y.” I didn’t find that loveable neither do many Americans who warned us about muggings, pickpockets and theft.

I haven’t started yet. It’s people and dogs. Mostly they are quite useless, the dogs I mean. They live inside and I would think mostly shit inside. They go to coffee shops and cafes where they can fight or have sex and bother folk who try to chat. They have names like Elizabeth or Charles or Camila. Never Fugs or Woofa or Bootlace. Now Covid lockdown has ended many will be re-homed. They will have no future like rounding up cattle or sheep or even keeping guard on a property.
Dogs do provide the retail industry with massive product sales. There are isles of doggie items for sale at the pharmacists and indeed retail warehouses full of the stuff. And internet providers who can have their products on your door step in 4 days. Vitamins, doggie daily, doggie hair dryers. There is no end. Two of these items are pictured below. A vet who practises near my brother in laws home in Brisbane has 7 small Toyota motorcars in which his servants travel and treat such things as long toe nails or train canines to sit or fetch.
My dad always said dog was good eating. He ate the commandant’s dog, sometime about 1943. It’s on the menu, a feature, in S.E. Asia. Along with fox and cat and chicken. So maybe some dogs may well eventually find a useful purpose. The items below are only two on hundreds or maybe thousands offered to suckers. The first is self explanatory and the second is wipes so as you can ensure the dog’s anus is clean and wholesome after it shits.
Why is all this nonsense so? Is it companionship these people seek with their dogs and electronic toys? Or clothing they see as fashion setting? Or horses, fancy motorcars etc etc.
It seems every era of time must be labelled. I say we live in an era of time I call the “age of stupidity” and it has no bounds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-06-04 at 19.10.38.jpg (16.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-06-04 at 19.24.29.jpg (6.9 KB, 7 views)

Old 06-05-2022, 01:11 AM   #1235
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post

Why is this so. Findings on my city stay.

Copy Cats follow trends and fashions. They often own race horses that mostly follow other horses, have 4 wheel drive motorcars (that have never been off the bitumen), or kitchen bench coffee makers, watches (time pieces) that report your heart beat or amount of exercise you had today or when you (girls) ovulate. To be seen in up market coffee shops drinking latte coffee and eating Lebanese toast spread with smashed avocado. Use expensive hair stylists, take ship tourers to the Antarctic. And their motorcars must have as many electronic gadgets as it is possible including radios that one can never figure out even in many years of ownership. And of course these motorcars must be electric so as they can be seen saving the planet.
Another recent fad is mobile phones and other electrical devises. Seems like people of both genders and increasingly older folk can’t take a step without one. It takes so much of their attention they will cross the road without looking up and checking for traffic. Many have what looks like little tea spoons in their ears which my grandson tells me are hands free headsets.
Their casual wear has place names written on it, both front and back. Places they must think as exotic but I’m sure they have never been to any of them. Frequently I see “I love N.Y.” I didn’t find that loveable neither do many Americans who warned us about muggings, pickpockets and theft.

I haven’t started yet. It’s people and dogs. Mostly they are quite useless, the dogs I mean. They live inside and I would think mostly shit inside. They go to coffee shops and cafes where they can fight or have sex and bother folk who try to chat. They have names like Elizabeth or Charles or Camila. Never Fugs or Woofa or Bootlace. Now Covid lockdown has ended many will be re-homed. They will have no future like rounding up cattle or sheep or even keeping guard on a property.
Dogs do provide the retail industry with massive product sales. There are isles of doggie items for sale at the pharmacists and indeed retail warehouses full of the stuff. And internet providers who can have their products on your door step in 4 days. Vitamins, doggie daily, doggie hair dryers. There is no end. Two of these items are pictured below. A vet who practises near my brother in laws home in Brisbane has 7 small Toyota motorcars in which his servants travel and treat such things as long toe nails or train canines to sit or fetch.
My dad always said dog was good eating. He ate the commandant’s dog, sometime about 1943. It’s on the menu, a feature, in S.E. Asia. Along with fox and cat and chicken. So maybe some dogs may well eventually find a useful purpose. The items below are only two on hundreds or maybe thousands offered to suckers. The first is self explanatory and the second is wipes so as you can ensure the dog’s anus is clean and wholesome after it shits.
Why is all this nonsense so? Is it companionship these people seek with their dogs and electronic toys? Or clothing they see as fashion setting? Or horses, fancy motorcars etc etc.
It seems every era of time must be labelled. I say we live in an era of time I call the “age of stupidity” and it has no bounds.
Spot on, Gary, spot on! Especially your comments about how people throw so much money at their pet dogs. A friend recently asked me why so many people prefer to live in a kennel (because their dogs have taken over the house). Dog hair everywhere, "pet stains" on the carpet, strong odors, claw marks on the doors, and the list goes on. In the U. S. there is more public outrage if a person kicks a threatening dog than if a child is brutally abused! Common sense is not very common anymore!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 10:56 AM   #1236
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Common sense is not very common anymore!
It's been that way for quite a while.
Old 06-05-2022, 04:58 PM   #1237
pickupnut

Sorry...posted in wrong thread!

Last edited by pickupnut; 06-05-2022 at 05:10 PM. Reason: originally posted in wrong thread...sorry!
pickupnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:26 PM   #1238
woofa.express

No pictures because I'll give the surprise away.

It would be my guess most readers enjoy a movie with a good story and without violence. The likes of Driving Miss Daisy would be one of these.
I recently had reason to watch the English children’s movie “Paddington Bear” and enjoyed it immensely so I watched a second. I thought you may enjoy watching a short, two minute clip so here it is. They do have some high class actors in Paddington Bear. I bet you get a surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UfiCa244XE

Last edited by woofa.express; 06-17-2022 at 03:13 AM.
Old 06-19-2022, 03:39 PM   #1239
woofa.express

This is an English MG owned by the late John Lynch who was commonly known as “mouse hunter”. He was once known to brag he could shoot a mouse off the hip at 40 feet. His full blown nick name was “the great white mouse hunter” but it got shortened. It is he that is pictured.
The engine in this motorcar was 2,000 c.c. Standard Coventry and was most well known for powering the Ferguson tractor which was also built in USA by Ford. Other motorcars using this engine and fitted with dual carburettors were Triumphs and Vanguards. Probably more.
Now Mouse Hunter was a hermit and a talented one too. He built aeroplane canopies, a tail less glider and mounted engines to gliders. He also built a polystyrene framed glider covered with glad wrap which he won a jump off the jetty birdman competition.
In the last few days of his life he sold this MG and haggled over the price. He did get his 40k asking price and in foldies which he buried for safe keeping. It could not be found and is still in safe keeping.
He had an airstrip outside his front door and I’d land there on occasions and spend some time with him. One morning I came close to losing control and crashing through his glass front on his shed/house. I think I’ll write of that soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RIMG0551.jpg (107.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpeg Unknown.jpeg (6.5 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 06-19-2022 at 05:33 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 06-20-2022, 02:51 AM   #1240
woofa.express

I was wrong. Story below number 1240

It took only a couple of minutes for emails to arrive and point out my error. Rather than make the corrections I’ll simply post the responses I received. I have no problem or resentment in being told I’m wrong.

Response from Mark.
The MGTF generally had the Morris 1500 engine upgraded with twin SU carbies and maybe some camshaft adjustment etc. A very sturdy engine. You are correct the Standard 4cyl engine had wet cylinder sleeves and was used in Vanguard, Triumph and a version used by Massey Ferguson.

Response from Hugh.
Your late friend’s MG was a 1955 TF and it’s true that small Ferguson tractors had a model with a similar sized petrol engine, probably about 1800cc. I met the mouse hunter with the dirt landing strip, saw his MG and I recall he lived alone. (There were other engines available for the small Ferguson tractor as well).

About my acquaintance who sold his TF, the number plate was MG1955. The first owner had purchased it new, never used it so it was showroom perfect. My neighbour and MG enthusiast was the second owner — he also never used it, just maintained it. The new and third owner, a woman with initials MG was born in 1955 and couldn’t believe her luck to find her dream car on sale on the internet. It sold within one minute of the ad being posted. My friend realised he could have asked for a higher price.

I have a retired mechanic friend nearby. His superannuation scheme is a gaggle of special and rare Holdens he thinks will finance him into his dotage. (Local made cars have increased in price since the industry died). With low interest rates, certain cars have become investment items. When prices crash, which they will, many sad tears will fall.
Regards. Hugh

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mouse hunter mg 2.jpg (107.8 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 06-20-2022 at 05:56 AM.