Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-11-2021, 11:07 AM   #1
Darin

Default 1939 ford Pickup Headliner question

Hey fella's , I have a 39 1/2 ton Pickup and am looking for a cardboard headliner. I see that a couple places sell a cardboard headliner kit for a 40-47 pickup and am curious if it would possibly fit a 39. I had a 40 years ago and as I recall the cabs are close to being the same but haven't seen a 40 recently to compare. I only need the headliner , the other parts on mine are acceptable . I'm thinking or should say "wishful thinking" it would work but the fact that both places that sell the kit only list it for 1940-1947 probably answers my question and I have tried to call each place and have yet to speak to anyone that can answer . Thanks for any input. Darin
Darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:19 AM   #2
Lanny

Default Re: 1939 ford Pickup Headliner question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
Hey fella's , I have a 39 1/2 ton Pickup and am looking for a cardboard headliner. I see that a couple places sell a cardboard headliner kit for a 40-47 pickup and am curious if it would possibly fit a 39. I had a 40 years ago and as I recall the cabs are close to being the same but haven't seen a 40 recently to compare. I only need the headliner , the other parts on mine are acceptable . I'm thinking or should say "wishful thinking" it would work but the fact that both places that sell the kit only list it for 1940-1947 probably answers my question and I have tried to call each place and have yet to speak to anyone that can answer . Thanks for any input. Darin
===============================================

The front area is where the big difference is. The wipers for the '40's
are on the cowl below the windshield.
Maybe someone here has cut one up, to make it work in the '39.

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
But if daddy ain't happy...RUN
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:27 AM   #3
1939mars

Cartouche makes a cardboard repro and I just ordered one a few days ago. If you can wait the 3-4 weeks they said it would take to show up I can post pictures, etc.
1939mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:29 AM   #4
Darin

Thanks , I remember the difference of the wipers and was thinking since my 39 has the rather large metal cover over the wiper motors above the windshield it might in fact allow me to use the 40 liner with a bit of trimming being the 40 liner is possibly longer from front to back ( exactly as you mentioned) .
Old 08-11-2021, 11:35 AM   #5
Darin

I saw the 40-47 kits by Cartouche on Mac's but I didn't see one for a 39 , could be I missed it . will look again. Thanks for the reply
Old 08-11-2021, 12:24 PM   #6
51504bat

I bought the cardboard headliner for my '39 p/u from Mac's. Fits OK but it doesn't stay snug to the ceiling. Might be the insulation matting I spray glued to the roof coming loose. Not sure. If I had to do it over again I'd go with on of the plastic liners and paint it to the color I wanted.
Old 08-11-2021, 01:19 PM   #7
1939mars

Did you happen to get the green one and if so would you be wiling to post some pictures? What would you say is the quality of the cardboard compared to the original? Finally, did it come sewn? Thanks.
1939mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:02 PM   #8
39portlander

D, I got my kit from Joes antique, cannot remember the manufacture but good installation instructions and fit great with minimal snipping/cutting. Early Ford sales in Piedmont should be able get or have your kit.

I used a few cut down wrapping paper tubes to keep the center centered while two of us worked the driver/passenger sides in and square.

I also remember fitting and installing the rear window trim in and then working the liner up and around the door frames. Good luck and lettuce know how you make out with that liner.

Last edited by 39portlander; 08-11-2021 at 08:07 PM.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:58 PM   #9
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1939mars View Post
Did you happen to get the green one and if so would you be wiling to post some pictures? What would you say is the quality of the cardboard compared to the original? Finally, did it come sewn? Thanks.

Mine was brown and no sewing involved. Just the various pieces.
Old 08-12-2021, 05:50 AM   #10
Darin

Thanks, looked at Early Ford since they are my go to place since they are close by and s phipping is fast but I did not see a headliner, guess I will call them.
Old 08-12-2021, 07:45 PM   #11
Darin

Well, my wishfull thinking was just that. Finally talked to someone at Dennis Carpenter and the fellow said the 40 to 47 headliner would not fit. Called Early ford , they dont carry the kit . Mac's / Ecklers has them but takes about 3 weeks according to the fellow I spoke to . Not a big deal , am in no hurry.
Old 08-12-2021, 10:05 PM   #12
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
I bought the cardboard headliner for my '39 p/u from Mac's. Fits OK but it doesn't stay snug to the ceiling. Might be the insulation matting I spray glued to the roof coming loose. Not sure. If I had to do it over again I'd go with on of the plastic liners and paint it to the color I wanted.

Don't you have to screw the headliner up off the runner bars that run in the cab top? The abs ones are interesting also. I have a custom tuckroll seat so I might go that way on the headliner also. My truck is a 38 with 39 pedals and a mitchell od. Sooo I might take some adaption. But not too many.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote