Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-15-2020, 07:09 AM   #1
Keith R

Default Clutch Stuck Disengaged

I have a 28 RPU with the clutch stuck in the disengaged position. I tried readjusting the pressure plate fingers and reassembled without any change. Is there something with the pressure plate or clutch disc that could cause the clutch to not come back to engaged position when the clutch pedal is released?
Keith R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:15 AM   #2
chrs1961815

Default Re: Clutch Stuck Disengaged

Maybe. But I would look more torward the throwout bearing and clutch fork.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:22 AM   #3
Keith R

I replace the throw out bearing and return spring, and can see through the access panel that the throw out bearing is returning when the clutch pedal is released.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:43 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith R View Post
I replace the throw out bearing and return spring, and can see through the access panel that the throw out bearing is returning when the clutch pedal is released.
I am going to assume this is not a multiple disc clutch that is in your vehicle.??.

Can you go into a little more detail about the clutch condition? Clutch discs can stick to the flywheel due to rusting which will cause similar symptoms as you are describing however by you stating that you replaced the clutch release (throw-out) bearing, I am going to guess you did this recently? Has the clutch operated correctly since this replacement was performed? Did you have the clutch disc and pressure plate off of the flywheel when the release bearing was replaced?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:32 AM   #5
Keith R

The clutch and pressue plate were replace a few years ago before I purchased the car. They look in good condition. The car was working find, until it started to not engage when releasing the clutch pedal after shifting into gear. I removed the transmission and bell housing, adjusted the pressure plate fingers, installed a new throw out bearing and return spring. I thought the issue was probably the fingers being out of adjustment (they were 1/4" off), and put the car back together. I did not remove the pressure plate and clutch disc. I still have the same problem. I'm thinking that something is up with the pressure plate or clutch disk and will have to disassemble again.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:47 AM   #6
Ruth

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I have heard of a clutch not disengaging suddenly due to a broken clutch arm but not a clutch engaging when you release the clutch pedal.

Please keep us informed as to what you find so we can maybe learn something.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:35 AM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith R View Post
The clutch and pressue plate were replace a few years ago before I purchased the car. They look in good condition. The car was working find, until it started to not engage when releasing the clutch pedal after shifting into gear. I removed the transmission and bell housing, adjusted the pressure plate fingers, installed a new throw out bearing and return spring. I thought the issue was probably the fingers being out of adjustment (they were 1/4" off), and put the car back together. I did not remove the pressure plate and clutch disc. I still have the same problem. I'm thinking that something is up with the pressure plate or clutch disk and will have to disassemble again.
Thanks for your thoughts.
My bet is the clutch disc lining has become stuck to the flywheel surface.

Had you not adjusted the pressure plate, I would have suggested a couple of ways to free the disc. with it still in the vehicle With the P/P being "adjusted" now, my suggestion is to completely disassemble and rebuild the pressure plate and re-line the disc.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:41 AM   #8
Jim Brierley

If the lining has stuck to the flywheel surface, it would be engaged all the time, his is not engaged. Never seen that before. Are you sure the problem isn't elsewhere? Broken axle or ???
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 11:32 AM   #9
Keith R

Thanks for replies. Jim- correct, the clutch seems to not Engage when the pedal is released. I agree this is odd. I suppose it could be something else. When I engage the clutch by releasing the pedal, I don't feel or hear anything. Any ideas on how to see if it is something else?
Old 06-15-2020, 11:40 AM   #10
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Can you see if the transmission input shaft is turning? If it is, then the problem is downstream of that. Hang in there.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 11:40 AM   #11
jetmek

If the speedometer turns then its in the rear end otherwise the clutch pressure plate qis not clamping on the disk or the transmission is toast ( unlikely)
Old 06-15-2020, 01:05 PM   #12
1931 flamingo

Looking thru the access hole in the tranny what happens when you depress/release the clutch pedal. You could also spray a lot of Brake-Kleen thre the opening onto the disc area.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 05:09 PM   #13
Patrick L.

Let me see if I have this right. You took out the transmitter and adjusted the plate finger while the flywheel was still bolted up.

What is your free-play now ? Does the release bearing now have clearance from the fingers ?

It appears as though the transmitter needs to come out again. [ I've been trying to figure out how put these together with velcro]. I'd recommend removing the flywheel and assemble and adjust everything on the bench.

It also seems that the problem may not have been with the clutch. The ideas of a broken axle or something behind the clutch have merit and well worth looking at. Jack the rear and run the car and see if the speedo cable drive is driving and the wheels turn as they should. You should be able to stop one wheel at a time and feel what is happening.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:05 PM   #14
PC/SR

If you look way down pasts the pressure plate you should be able to see if the input shaft is turning. You can also see if you can get it in gear without grinding. If it grinds, the input shaft is turning. If the input shaft is turning the pressure plate and disc are working and the problem is down the line somewhere. If the input shaft is not turning, I wonder if the center of the clutch disc, the splines, have somehow become unconnected to the disc material. Broken rivets, cracked plate or someting. You might double check the finger adjustment. The fingers can be reached through the access plate. Should be about .060-.070 clearance between the fingers and the TO bearing. As asked above, what is the pedal free play?
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote