Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-28-2021, 12:10 PM   #341
Jeff/Illinois

Default Re: The Terry Burtz 5 main bearing engine blocks are back on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post

On a different note I have not had issues with Mexico Foundry's. Most of the Companies in Mexico are the factories that were once in the USA so that may be an option in the future.

Thanks for doing what your doing. This is truly an amazing project and the Model A world needs more people like yourself.

Regards,
Ron
I'm retired from John Deere Harvester Wks.. Most of Deere's iron castings are still being made at the JD Waterloo Wks. and are of excellent quality. A lot of other JD foundry work comes out of Mexico and it too is first class. Deere wouldn't accept anything less they pride themselves on quality.

The good ole' USA isn't down and out yet!
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 01:16 PM   #342
A model Thom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Knight View Post
Crankcase compression: I have not read all the postings in this thread, I have not read all the engineering data. Has there been any discussion on crankcase compression ? All modern engines, at least the last 50+ years, Have some form of Positive Crankcase Ventilation. What is the thinking on this new engine ? I know I addressed it 30+ years ago on my own modified B engine with a PCV valve. All engines have a certain amount of "leakdown" Thanks, Rick.
I modified my a engine to have a proper functioning pvc and ill be doing the same for the Burtz block that I'll be building for my mums sport coupe, I drilled a hole in the back of the block to take a pcv grommet (physically as clos to the opposite side of the engine as I could put it from the fill tube/ breather so the pcv can pull the fumes across the crankcase) and machined up a stand off tube to let the crankcase and valve chamber be able to breathe, the stand off tube was also higher than the oil level could go in the valvechamber to reduce the chance of oil draining through it, the set-up works really well, my town sedan doesn't smell fumey or burn oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
They are harder to fit up on a RHD car.
Arnold is right, The filter is made to fit up with a stock manifold and carb, as well as an alloy manifold and down draft carb like a 97, as well as the engine pans.
Lawrie
They are hard to make rhd with an oil filter, this is the set i made with my dad for my town sedan

A model Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 06:27 AM   #343
brokenspoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by A model Thom View Post
I modified my a engine to have a proper functioning pvc and ill be doing the same for the Burtz block that I'll be building for my mums sport coupe, I drilled a hole in the back of the block to take a pcv grommet (physically as clos to the opposite side of the engine as I could put it from the fill tube/ breather so the pcv can pull the fumes across the crankcase) and machined up a stand off tube to let the crankcase and valve chamber be able to breathe, the stand off tube was also higher than the oil level could go in the valvechamber to reduce the chance of oil draining through it, the set-up works really well, my town sedan doesn't smell fumey or burn oil

They are hard to make rhd with an oil filter, this is the set i made with my dad for my town sedan

Where do you pull fresh air from?
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 06:28 AM   #344
A model Thom

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenspoke View Post
Where do you pull fresh air from?
Fresh air gets pulled in through the oil filler/breather
Old 05-29-2021, 06:44 AM   #345
Bruce of MN

What is the benefit of fresh air in the crankcase?
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:12 AM   #346
A model Thom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce of MN View Post
If you have a pcv pulling a vacuum in the crankcase there needs to be a way for fresh to enter or you can start sucking in seals and gaskets
Old 05-30-2021, 08:50 AM   #347
HD Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce of MN View Post
Positive Crankcase Ventilation removes blow-by gases, water vapor (byproduct of combustion and condensation), and fuel vapors (from cold starts). This helps reduce sludge formation. It also helps people feel good about their modification.

One thing often overlooked is that the air entering the crankcase should be filtered. Otherwise you are drawing dust into your crankcase. The original vent cap is not a very good filter.
HD Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:08 AM   #348
Bruce of MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by A model Thom View Post
If you have a pcv pulling a vacuum in the crankcase there needs to be a way for fresh to enter or you can start sucking in seals and gaskets
I can see that a Model A might not be made for crankcase vacuum. I don't think that engines that use pcv valves and such have paths for fresh air to enter, though.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:33 PM   #349
Terry Burtz, Calif

The "New Engine Kit" along with an original cylinder block, crankshaft, and connecting rods will be on display at the MARC National Convention in Oshkosh, WI.

We will be in the B.F. Carter Room that is across the hallway from the Hospitality Room and I will be happy to answer any question or discuss any concern.

A modified Model A oil pump that delivers increased volume, builders guides, Secrets of Speed Magazines, and several other parts that I manufacture will be on display.

On Friday afternoon, June 11, I will give a seminar on the "New Model A Engine Kit".

Dennis Kliesen has assembled an engine using the "New Engine Kit", has driven over 2000 miles traveling to Oshkosh, and will be there to tell you about his trip and answer questions.

Another "New Engine Kit" is in car #35 for the Great Race and has accumulated about 1000 miles.

One "New Engine Kit" using a "Miller Hi-Speed" head was tested on a dynamometer and it developed 170 lb-ft at 2800 RPM, and 110 HP at 3300 RPM.

Please bring your questions, concerns, measuring equipment, and mating parts for fit checks.

In preparation for Oshkosh, please see www.modelaengine.com
Terry Burtz, Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:58 AM   #350
Chris Haynes

When is the next engine shipment going to be available?
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:59 PM   #351
wrpercival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
When is the next engine shipment going to be available?
The next shipment is currently in production and should be available in the US by early August. Ocean freight schedules are still somewhat unpredictable though. We'll have more info in early to mid-July.
wrpercival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 02:33 AM   #352
oldpete

Hi Guys,
just wondering if some one who has a new engine running using a Stipe oil pump can you please tell me what oil pressure they are producing, using 35/40psi or 50/55psi pressure relief valve spring, and also if they have had to reduce oil pressure at all?
oldpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 08:34 AM   #353
denniskliesen

I have the new Terry Burtz engine with a Stipe pump and have the lower relief green spring installed in the pump. I also have a external adjustable relief made by Scat Volkswagen. I have the pressure lowered to reduce strain on the pump drive and camshaft gears. I have over 2800 miles on this engine since it was built and no problems.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:50 AM   #354
Vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpete View Post
Hi Guys,
just wondering if some one who has a new engine running using a Stipe oil pump can you please tell me what oil pressure they are producing, using 35/40psi or 50/55psi pressure relief valve spring, and also if they have had to reduce oil pressure at all?
I use a 35-40 Stipe Oil Pump on our 5-Main Engine.

The Engine has a Miller OHV Conversion, We hame an Earl’s Remote Adapter with a WIX 51085 Filter, the adapter has an 1/8 NPT output that oils the head, and we use Valoline VR-1 20W-50 oil. There is no internal or external pressure adjustment.

The engine runs with just over 30 PSI Oil Pressure, at start up, running warm, and at idle a when warm (165 degrees) pressure is just over 20, maybe 22 PSI.
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 01:50 AM   #355
oldpete

Hi dennisklisen, thanks for your reply, what oil pressure did you have prior to using the Scat adjustable relief set up and what oil pressure do you have now?
Regards Pete
Old 06-14-2021, 08:16 AM   #356
denniskliesen

Pete, I had 40+ psi @2200 rpm warm oil. About 35 psi at 1500 rpm warm oil. With the Scat Volkswagen adjustable external valve I have 20+ psi from idle increasing to cruising speed 60+ mph. At a slow idle the pressure with warm oil is about 10 psi. There are 2 different plungers and 2 springs that are included with the adjustable valve package. I think it works much better with the plunger than a ball bearing on the seat as some have tried using. The pressure setting is consistent with a plunger. You might have to find a different spring than what is included to achieve the desired pressure setting. The adjustment screw only has about 1/4” of adjustment. The nut on the adjustment screw to lock the screw leaks unless a modification is made to incorporate the use of an oring. It’s a matter of trying different springs to get that desired pressure requiring a lot of time and patience. It’s not a perfect solution but I was able to accomplish what I wanted without dropping the pan and fiddling with the relief in the pump. Make sure you have the green spring in the Stipe pump if you are trying to get a lower relief setting. The primary reason for lower pressure was to reduce the amount of strain on the pump drive gear and the camshaft gear.

Last edited by denniskliesen; 06-14-2021 at 08:27 AM.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:18 PM   #357
oldpete

Thanks for the info Dennis, I have just about finished assembling my new engine, I am using the Stipe oil pump with the 35-40psi pressure relief spring. Unfortunately Scat will not send parts to Australia as our government want them to collect and remit a goods & services tax. What I have done is install an adjustable needle valve with a tee piece splitting the main oil return pipe out of the oil filter diverting any excess oil pressure into the side plate, sorry I cannot attach a photo, too dam hard.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:44 PM   #358
HD Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpete View Post
Thanks for the info Dennis, I have just about finished assembling my new engine, I am using the Stipe oil pump with the 35-40psi pressure relief spring. Unfortunately Scat will not send parts to Australia as our government want them to collect and remit a goods & services tax. What I have done is install an adjustable needle valve with a tee piece splitting the main oil return pipe out of the oil filter diverting any excess oil pressure into the side plate, sorry I cannot attach a photo, too dam hard.
What do you need?
I'll get it and send it to you. You can pay me when you get it if you like.

Paul
HD Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:29 AM   #359
oldpete

Hi Paul,
thanks for your generous offer, but the set up I have done will relieve any high oil pressure issue that I more than likely will have in my new engine. Pete
Old 06-18-2021, 05:39 PM   #360
hardtimes

Hey Terry,
Yesterday picked up my Burtz flywheel. Nicely machined !
Question… is the pressure plate bolt hole pattern … for a 9 inch 50s pressure plate. Standard ring gear use and crank bearing ??
Nice piece of heavy metal… well done !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DA21D25A-AA0E-486C-8A19-D445436D89CA.jpg (46.7 KB, 44 views)
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote