Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-09-2021, 08:20 AM   #1
LD-Ordie

Default T5 trany in 55 wagon

So my 3 speed died on my 55 sedan delivery with a 292 and I'm upgrading it to a T5. Quick question on shifter location. My initial rough measuring shows the shifter just in front of the seat, but still gathering parts and I'm a ways from having the bell housing and adapter plate to get a closer mark. For those who have done the swap, did you use a shifter to move the stick forward or to the left? Planing on using a Hurst stick, but also undecided on which one would work the best with a bench seat. Any suggestions would be appreciated
LD-Ordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:58 AM   #2
51504bat

Default Re: T5 trany in 55 wagon

I'd contact Hotrodprimer. Don't know if he's on the Barn but he is on the HAMB. He has a T5 in his '54 Ranch Wagon which I assume is similar to your '55. Another good source would be Jeffb2 here on the Barn.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:18 PM   #3
LD-Ordie

Thank you much, but I'm thinking it should be the same as a regular sedan. Engine and trany sit in the same location, am I missing something?
Old 06-10-2021, 04:57 AM   #4
flathead 53

I just finished doing A t-5 in my 53 f-100, you can email me for info or pictures .
flathead 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:16 AM   #5
LD-Ordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead 53 View Post
I just finished doing A t-5 in my 53 f-100, you can email me for info or pictures .
Thank you much! I sent you an e-mail
Old 06-10-2021, 12:23 PM   #6
V8COOPMAN

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD-Ordie View Post
Undecided on which one would work the best with a bench seat. Any suggestions would be appreciated
I just lost over an hour's worth of T5 stuff for you....but that's MY PROBLEM! Anyway, you can use the TAIL SHAFT housing off of a Chevy S-10, along with it's corresponding short SHIFT RAIL & Cover. It'll bolt right on to ANY T5 that has a decent, close-ratio gear set like a V8 Camaro with the 2.95 1st gear, or a V8 Mustang with the 3.35 1st gear. You DO NOT want to use the entire S-10 transmission, 'cuz it has crap 3.50 or 4.03 1st gear ratios. Comparison picture below.....moves the shifter nearly 9" forward. I can help you sift your way through this to do it RIGHT! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:00 PM   #7
LD-Ordie

Thanks V8Coopman, that's a good option to have if needed. Currently waiting on parts to get the bell housing and adapter in place, going to take some good measurements and go from there. Rough measurements while still assembled with the stock stuff are showing me the shifter is falling just in front of my bench seat, but if an inch or so is needed , MDL has some good shifter options. If much more is needed, your info is appreciated!! Thanks!!
Old 06-10-2021, 10:42 PM   #8
geardaddy

give me a call about your t5. sadly i have built stupid amount of custom oddballs with all kinds of shifter locations using tails from chev, isuzu,melroe, nissan,sang sung, amc, and some "bejing warner gear" freaks... will be up VERY late...612-309-3999
geardaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:54 PM   #9
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Thanks V8Coopman, that's a good option to have if needed. Currently waiting on parts to get the bell housing and adapter in place, going to take some good measurements and go from there. Rough measurements while still assembled with the stock stuff are showing me the shifter is falling just in front of my bench seat, but if an inch or so is needed , MDL has some good shifter options. If much more is needed, your info is appreciated!! Thanks!!

LD .....With respect, I believe you just MIGHT be getting a bit ahead of yourself. You still haven't mentioned WHICH T5 you're planning on using, or that you are taking measurements from to get the CORRECTLY-dimensioned adapters. Do you realize that depending on WHICH T5 you decide to use that there are at least SEVEN different lengths for T5 input shafts? You'll also need to know the dimensions on the INPUT SHAFT Bearing Retainer for a correctly-fitted adapter. You REALLY sound like you need to do some serious reading (or consult with someone more knowledgeable in the world of T5s for a more thorough understanding of what the BASIC T5 design offers (a hell of a lot) in diversity of application, as well as how much the basic design lends itself to mixing 'n matching of parts for custom applications.....like SHIFTER PLACEMENT for one, in addition to the choosing of optimum close-ratio gear selection for the street. I've seen too many guys that buy the first T5 that comes-along, install it....and have that particular T5 end up making their ride a miserable experience. Just a suggestion! Would really enjoy hearing how your project is progressing! DD

A Little Bit of Interesting T5 Info

Some Additional Background & History

https://www.moderndriveline.com/the-...ces-of-the-t5/

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 06-11-2021, 09:05 AM   #10
LD-Ordie

Thank you much Coop! Your advice is greatly appreciated. First to admit, this is my first dealings with a T5 instal, although I did instal a TKO-600 in my 55 3100 a few years back. My delivery came with a 11" flywheel, clutch and pressure plate and the trany. I did research it as a Mustang V8 with the 7 1/8" input shaft. I bought the adapter from MDL who confirmed it was the correct one. Probably should have mentioned it before, but thought I was past that. Waiting on a new starter ring gear, yoke and U-joints. Hoping next week it can go together, bring the driveshaft to my local machinist and focus on the shifter and cross member. Will share my progress
Old 06-11-2021, 09:59 AM   #11
flathead 53

V8 coopman, pointed me in the right direction on my t-5 install , he is a wealth of knowledge on this subject, my swap is complete but needs some tweaking based on his advice.
flathead 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:52 AM   #12
rotorwrench

T5 transmissions are being fitted to about everything but you need to ask the folks that are working with the Ford car Y-blocks to get your best information unless you are converting to a different engine. Flatheads and pickups are different so best info will come from the y-block community with the early Y-block type cars.

Coopman's info is very important for those T5 finds where you don't know what they came out of. Thankfully, there is an aftermarket for quite a bit of T5 stuff now days when a person is limited on local sources.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:27 PM   #13
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
I did install a TKO-600 in my 55 3100 a few years back.

I did research it as a Mustang V8 with the 7 1/8" input shaft. Will share my progress
I have a TKO 600 "Road Race" version with the .82 overdrive ratio in my '40 Ford coupe. My little Chevy with a healthy cam really likes that .82, along with the 3.50 in the '57 Ford 9".

Well, the fact that you have a V8 Mustang T5 is very encouraging. You wouldn't have the factory ID tag that identifies exactly what that trans started life as, would you? I'm thinking that it likely will have the 3.35 1st gear .....the close-ratio gear set, and if so, ya done GOOD! You should be very pleased with it's performance. Do you know what your REAR end ratio is? BE SURE to use the correct lubricant!!! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 06-11-2021, 07:47 PM   #14
LD-Ordie

So I was told it was the V8 version, but unfortunately, the tag is missing, so no real idea. The previous owner of my 55 was fairly knowledgeable , so hoping the right decision was made. Not sure on the rear end, but counting driveline revolutions, it's around 3.90 Future project is a 9", so a better ratio could be chosen. For now, going to run what I have and evaluate the performance and go from there. Thanks again!!
Old 06-12-2021, 01:31 AM   #15
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
So I was told it was the V8 version, but unfortunately, the tag is missing, so no real idea.

LD-Ordie .....Since you're not sure what gear set you have in your T5, there is a very easy way to find out what ya got. Follow the instructions in the link below, and in 15 minutes or less, you will have found the 1st GEAR and the 5th GEAR (O/D) ratios. With those two ratios, we simply go to a gear chart (which I have) and find out the rest. Let us know what you find out. DD

https://lugnutz65chevystepside.weebl...5-gearing.html

Once you get to this site, ALSO make sure to put your cursor on the "T5 INFO PAGE" in the black band at top of page for a 'drop-down' list with quite a few T5 articles of interest.

Then, look at the pictures below of the two transmissions. Pay close attention to the 'SILVER DOLLAR'-sized round things below and to the left of the main input shaft. That is the cluster gear front bearing cup. The one on top makes the transmission a NON-WORLD CLASS (NWC) T5. The one on the bottom makes the trans a WORLD CLASS (WC) T5. Which do you have? DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 06-12-2021, 06:41 AM   #16
LD-Ordie

Great stuff here!! Thanks so much! Was thinking I should be able to count the spins, but this explains it in detail. I don't have any kind of shifter yet, except the takeoff from my TKO-600. Maybe I can make it work for this test....... Will try. I did read all I could on the MDL site and learned I have the WC version. Fluid requirements is pretty important ! I would not have thought Dextron III
Old 06-12-2021, 11:33 AM   #17
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
I don't have any kind of shifter yet, except the takeoff from my TKO-600. Maybe I can make it work for this test. I did read all I could on the MDL site and learned I have the WC version. Fluid requirements is pretty important ! I would not have thought Dextron III

The reason for the DEXRON III is because of the material on the blocker rings (synchronizer rings). The fluid must be compatible or you'll ruin the blockers. Hopefully, someone has not used regular old SAE 90 weight or something similar...which would ruin your blocker rings.

OK, you mention that you need a way to shift your transmission. Watch the video in the link BELOW. This is a video that shows the entire, yet simple process for changing-out the REAR shifter housing for the "S-10" housing that I had mentioned previously to move your shifter forward. This video uses a Camaro T5, but the S-10 housing also fits the MUSTANG T5. If you run the video forward to the 29:20 position, you will see the steel block with hole in it to receive the bottom ball of the shifter. Note the position (rotation) of the block, as well as the length (fore and aft) of the shift rod as it goes FORWARD into the lid. The position it is in as shown is NEUTRAL. So once the trans is in NEUTRAL, you can reach in and rotate that metal block toward the RIGHT (Passenger) side of trans.

**(If it won't rotate to the right, the trans is NOT in NEUTRAL)**

Once you move that metal block to the RIGHT, then move the metal SHIFTER BLOCK/rod assembly to the REAR. The movement should feel "notchy", just like the shifter feels as you shift a gear. You MAY have to use a screwdriver or such to pry and 'help' the block/shift rod move REARWARD. Once it moves rearward, you should be in 1st gear.

What you're doing by moving the metal block around is exactly the opposite position of where the shifter would be.....think about it! The video link is BELOW. Watch the whole thing....GOOD T5 info, some of which you may need. Let us know what your 1st gear ratio is. Hopefully, your 1st gear will be 3.35 ratio. DD

https://youtu.be/Dst89HqW8ow

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 06-12-2021, 05:43 PM   #18
V8COOPMAN

Hey LD .....I just came across this for the first time, and it sure ain't CHEAP! But if the situation comes-up that you could use a few more inches of seat clearance, this rig might just be the way to go. Those S-10 tail housing extensions are getting expensive and more difficult to find now-a-days (check eBay), and if in doing so you have to do a bunch of modifying to "FIX" your speedometer drive location and type, plus the R&R involved with pulling the trans out of the car, PLUS ya still gotta buy some sort of decent shifter anyway.....this thing starts looking better and better. And if you look carefully at how it is designed, you can install it so as to really zero-in on the exact location that you want the shifter to be.....fore/aft, AND left/right! Pretty slick, and just thinkin' out loud! DD

https://americanpowertrain.com/shop/...-style-offset/

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 06-13-2021, 08:27 AM   #19
LD-Ordie

Definitely looks interesting ! And your right about those tail shafts! I did check and my first gear is 3.35. Parts are coming in, in the next few days, so I'm excited to see how the pieces all fall together. Flywheel is in the freezer and ring gear will be going in the oven. Hoping it just falls on
Old 06-13-2021, 08:31 AM   #20
51504bat

Quote:
Definitely looks interesting ! And your right about those tail shafts! I did check and my first gear is 3.35. Parts are coming in, in the next few days, so I'm excited to see how the pieces all fall together. Flywheel is in the freezer and ring gear will be going in the oven. Hoping it just falls on

You might want to use the barbie instead of the oven so as not to upset the missus. That's what I did when I replaced the ring gear on my 8ba. The hot ring gear when on the frozen flywheel easy peasy.