Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-27-2021, 11:39 AM   #1
Russ/40

Default 5 main block from Tod

Not intending any kind of disharmony here, but im curious about the 5 main blocks Tod is producing, and what choices exist for 5 main crankshafts in Tod's block.

With the availability of the Burtz components, including crankshafts, has the possibility of a Burtz crank being installed in a Tod block been looked at?

Or, Tod, do you have a preferred solution for 5 main cranks? Tod, I know your strategy is to leave final machine work up to the purchaser. Does this leave the Burtz crank as a viable option?
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 01:08 PM   #2
Tod

Default Re: 5 main block from Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
Not intending any kind of disharmony here, but im curious about the 5 main blocks Tod is producing, and what choices exist for 5 main crankshafts in Tod's block.

With the availability of the Burtz components, including crankshafts, has the possibility of a Burtz crank being installed in a Tod block been looked at?

Or, Tod, do you have a preferred solution for 5 main cranks? Tod, I know your strategy is to leave final machine work up to the purchaser. Does this leave the Burtz crank as a viable option?

I have 2 crank shafts under way, a 3 main crank for special applications (requested by a builder), and a 5 main for my blocks. But, my main focus will still be 3 main stock-style blocks. I have only done 5 main for people that have a crank already, but more interest, and the ease of making a 5 main crank has me moved in the direction of offering that option.

My time, lately, has been heads (especially the new OHV) and my normal machining, and I have been unusually busy making tooling for one of my foundries.

I am inclined to say that a Burtz crank will not work in my 5 main blocks, but, I do not know for certain.

Because it appears that some are unaware of my 5 main iron blocks, I have posted a couple of pictures of one of them again. This was the very first one, made after several aluminum blocks were made.

Forgive me if I get irked when people think something this easy cannot be made in the USA.

Tod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5m1.jpg (40.8 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg 5m4.jpg (41.9 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg 5m5.jpg (51.8 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg 5m3.jpg (38.2 KB, 176 views)
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:19 PM   #3
Model A Ron

[QUOTE=Tod;

Forgive me if I get irked when people think something this easy cannot be made in the USA.

Tod
I know we have the ability to make blocks in this country and I know the Quality of USA Foundry work first hand over China. I work in Supplier Quality and I have actually helped to pull millions of dollars of Foundry work out of China and back into the USA.....justifying it with the cost of poor quality from China.

I am very pleased you are using a foundry hear in the USA and I will support you with my pocket book when I need a new engine for my project. I have one of your High Compression heads and the fact that it's made in the USA was very important to me. In addition the head was free from casting defects and the machining was excellent. I will always pay for Quality and I thank you.

Regards,
Ron
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 03:08 AM   #4
updraught

It would be interesting to see some photos of the OHV when ready.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 05:50 AM   #5
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
It would be interesting to see some photos of the OHV when ready.

I will post video of the first running engine, which will be pretty soon. I think I posted pictures of the first casting already, but, just in case, here are a few. I have iron OHV castings that will be machined and then tested right after the first aluminum prototype is tested. This first aluminum OHV build is slated to be around 7.5:1 compression. When ready for sale, a complete kit will be offered at around $3800.

For what it is worth, I will be offering blocks just for OHV application, which have no ports to deal with.

I also have a new head that is stock looking, but has one of my crow foot chambers and is around 7.25:1. The first 2 are in the hands of people who will be testing them.

Tod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OHV top with valves and springs.jpg (49.5 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg OHV intake valve seats3.jpg (44.7 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg OHV push rod test.jpg (27.7 KB, 169 views)
Old 05-28-2021, 11:23 AM   #6
mark180

Cool see this quality of work being done!
mark180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:50 AM   #7
The Master Cylinder

It is great to see all these great heads and blocks for the Model A from the different sources.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:12 PM   #8
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark180 View Post
Cool see this quality of work being done!
Quality work on Quality American Made Castings from an American Foundry and Machine Shop. People if we cannot support our American Manufacturing what little we have will all go to China. Prior to 2021 this country was doing all it could to bring jobs and Manufacturing back to America. We need to weather the current storm or all will be lost.

Tod
Please keep us posted on this trend. I am sure many are interested in American Made Engines and your pricing is very reasonable.

Regards,
Ron

Last edited by Model A Ron; 05-28-2021 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:00 AM   #9
deuce5wndw

Well said Ron!!
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 10:27 AM   #10
GeneBob

First of all, Tod, this looks like a fantastic opportunity to keep pushing through. I would MUCH rather buy a block/crank made in the USA than China. Please post a way to get on the list to commit to buying a block as soon as you can.
Second, Ron, do you still have contacts that could bring production of the Burtz block into the USA? Maybe the right contacts given to the right people could make this happen.
From what I hear and read, there seems to be a bigger market for these parts than people think.
GeneBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 02:32 PM   #11
Tod

Let's keep in mind what I have said before. I have only made 5 main blocks because I was asked to, and my 5 main activity will be limited to people who want a USA block and crank. My main focus has always been 3 main blocks. Once I get the 5 main blocks I am working on out of the way, I will be concentrating on 3 main production.

As for a list, I believe that a couple hundred 3 main blocks are already spoken for, and some builders have told me they will make an end of searching through piles of blocks hoping to find a usable one. That is not to say that I would not try to fit in someone else, just that 3 main demand appears to be high going by what I am hearing right now.

I will not be taking deposits.

Edit: I added a picture of a 3 main block, a few B heads, and Winfield heads. I will be making about 20 Winfield heads very soon, along with headers, OHV iron castings, iron Thomas heads, and a few more iron 5 main blocks.

Tod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 main, B, and Winfield.jpg (45.2 KB, 136 views)

Last edited by Tod; 05-29-2021 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Picture added
Old 05-30-2021, 10:21 AM   #12
Flathead

Yes, a three main block that would take a B crank would be very tempting.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 05:42 PM   #13
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
Yes, a three main block that would take a B crank would be very tempting.

My 3 main blocks are designed to accept B cranks.

Tod
Old 05-30-2021, 05:46 PM   #14
Model A Ron

Tod
Do you sell 3 main blocks direct to customers? If so post a link to your page.

Thanks
Ron
Old 05-30-2021, 06:02 PM   #15
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post
Tod
Do you sell 3 main blocks direct to customers? If so post a link to your page.

Thanks
Ron

I do not have a page (yet), and right now I will only be selling to builders, but I don't see why selling direct will not happen when builder demand is being met regularly. I do have a few direct sales to get out of the way but they are exceptions for the time being. Note: All the blocks I have, and am making right now, are already spoken for.

Honestly, since I posted my first running test engine here (a few years ago - yes, years), and other places, and received pretty much no interest at all, I focused on other things, and aspects of my regular business. But, in the past year or so I have had more interest from some builders as I worked on heads, and my regular business.

Tod
Old 05-30-2021, 11:34 PM   #16
4bangerbob

I will post video of the first running engine, which will be pretty soon. I think I posted pictures of the first casting already, but, just in case, here are a few. I have iron OHV castings that will be machined and then tested right after the first aluminum prototype is tested. This first aluminum OHV build is slated to be around 7.5:1 compression. When ready for sale, a complete kit will be offered at around $3800.

I certainly would be interested in your ohv kit and look forward to seeing more information on the kit.

bob
4bangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 05:40 AM   #17
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bangerbob View Post

I certainly would be interested in your ohv kit and look forward to seeing more information on the kit.

bob

I will post updates here also.

Tod
Old 05-31-2021, 06:32 PM   #18
4bangerbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
I will post updates here also.

Tod
Wonderful, I will be watching for it.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:55 AM   #19
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bangerbob View Post
Wonderful, I will be watching for it.

Are you more interested in iron or aluminum?

Tod
Old 06-01-2021, 08:03 PM   #20
4bangerbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Are you more interested in iron or aluminum?

Tod
Cast Iron or Aluminum would work. Would like a head with hardened exhaust valve seats already installed.

Would be interested to know the diameters of the valves and the ratio of the rocker arms. Appears to be a version of the cragar 2 port, is this correct?

bob